Swamp Thang in a Deluxe Reverb

Damian13

Howdy,
I mainly play post-rock and indie-rock. Recently installed a Swamp Thang in my DRRI, hoping to get better bass and a bit more volume. So far I'm not overly impressed. I've only played through it for a couple hours though.
Does anyone have experience with these? How long is break in time?
Do they improve much?
Thanks

Damian13

Thanks mate. Really appreciate the feedback
I'm in Australia, and it's pretty hard to find certain speakers in stores. I have to order from the U.S. I was on the fence over an ST and a RW&B
Was thinking I chose wrong. But I'll give it a couple band rehearsals before I give up on it

kevmin

Silver Supporting Member
I might be in the minority, but I like a nicely broken in UK made Vintage 30 in mine. I have no experience with the newer Chinese Celestions though.

Damian13

I just thought I'd update this, just in case someone finds it useful in future.

So I put about 40 hours at gig volume into the Swamp Thang. It did improve a little. But always stayed a bit stiff. Sounded ok with my strat and les paul. It was a bit bassy with my thinline tele. And a bit too ice picky with my jaguar.
It's not a bad speaker. It's very clear. It's very "modern" sounding. Very present. And definitely louder than the Jensen C12K.
However it wasn't what I was looking for.
My sound is more Radiohead, The National, and PJ Harvey from Stories From The City...

I've just installed a Cannabis Rex. After less than an hour, I can already tell this will be the speaker for me in this amp.
My jaguar (my main guitar) still sounds like a bright guitar, but it's a nice bright. It's treble instead of ice pick.
Hope this helps

parkhead

I use the swamp thang and have found it to be slow to break in. I treated my cone with acetone and this helped a tremendous amount. The acetone dissolves some of the lacquer in the cone making it softer more like the rex.
I just paint it on with a paint brush in a well ventilated area and it dries in about three minutes.

I use this treatment to age V30's as well. I won't use a newer speaker without doing this.
p

Damian13

That's actually really interesting. I've been playing guitar for countless years, but am new to the world o speakers
I'll definitely keep that in mind. Cheers for the heads up

amstrtatnut

I just thought I'd update this, just in case someone finds it useful in future.

So I put about 40 hours at gig volume into the Swamp Thang. It did improve a little. But always stayed a bit stiff. Sounded ok with my strat and les paul. It was a bit bassy with my thinline tele. And a bit too ice picky with my jaguar.
It's not a bad speaker. It's very clear. It's very "modern" sounding. Very present. And definitely louder than the Jensen C12K.
However it wasn't what I was looking for.
My sound is more Radiohead, The National, and PJ Harvey from Stories From The City...

I've just installed a Cannabis Rex. After less than an hour, I can already tell this will be the speaker for me in this amp.
My jaguar (my main guitar) still sounds like a bright guitar, but it's a nice bright. It's treble instead of ice pick.
Hope this helps
Was gonna suggest CR. Excellent speaker.

swiveltung

Speakers are sooo tough. I tried a Crex and hated it immediately .... way too nasty for me.... especially in a DR that breaks up pretty early. I'm more in the SRV tone than ZZ Top tone camp. It just shows how people are searching for different things....

TweeDLX

Speakers are sooo tough. I tried a Crex and hated it immediately .... way too nasty for me.... especially in a DR that breaks up pretty early. I'm more in the SRV tone than ZZ Top tone camp. It just shows how people are searching for different things....
So very true. Which is why I get such a kick out all the "What's the best (speaker, pre-amp tube, capacitor, banana, etc) for a (insert name of amp here)..." types of questions. As in life itself, there are no black and white answers, only shades of gray. :) I have an Allen Accomplice that has had a good half-dozen of the "perfect" speakers in it. Each one lasted until my tone quest turned another corner.

Damian13

Could not agree more with that. Everyone is chasing a different dragon.
Not to mention the effect of the room, volume, band mix, guitar, pickups, pedal chain, etc.

JazzGtr

15-20 hrs break in period, then you'll start to love the Swamp Thang.

Jazz,

Last edited:

Damian13

I had put about 40 hours into the Swamp Thang. It was definitely improving.
I don't mean to make out that it wasn't a good speaker. I definitely liked it, and could see how others would really love it. Just wasn't exactly right for my application.
In the rehearsal studio it was a bit too much for me. But I could see it being great for playing live to 100-200 people unmiked

Purplexi

I might be in the minority, but I like a nicely broken in UK made Vintage 30 in mine. I have no experience with the newer Chinese Celestions though.
My bass player collects old Fenders. My favorite of his is a 1965 Deluxe Reverb, w/ a Chinese Greenback! Really incredible sound, and to my ears, sounds better than it did with OEM Jensen or JBL.
Also, a Fender rep at the LA Amp Show, claimed he has the exact set up and won't mess with it.

imguitardan

I use the swamp thang and have found it to be slow to break in. I treated my cone with acetone and this helped a tremendous amount. The acetone dissolves some of the lacquer in the cone making it softer more like the rex.
I just paint it on with a paint brush in a well ventilated area and it dries in about three minutes.

I use this treatment to age V30's as well. I won't use a newer speaker without doing this.
p
Can you be more specific? What type of acetone specifically? I’d love to try this but don’t wanna f anything up.