Swamp Thang in a Mesa Caliber?

NoBrakes

Anyone done it? I don't care for the Black Shadow C90 in my 50 Cal +. I'd like something with a little less spike in the top.

guitarman3001

No clue about the 50 Cal but my ROV 25 doesn't sound all that great through a Swamp Thang in a Mesa compact closed back 1x12 cab.

NoBrakes

No clue about the 50 Cal but my ROV 25 doesn't sound all that great through a Swamp Thang in a Mesa compact closed back 1x12 cab.
That may be a similar sounding amp in some ways, had a Mini Rec which is probably similar. Thinking about an ET-65.. I need to tame the bite a bit.

guitarman3001

That may be a similar sounding amp in some ways, had a Mini Rec which is probably similar. Thinking about an ET-65.. I need to tame the bite a bit.

To me the ST sounded flat and lifeless with the ROV25. Which actually surprised me because I have a ST in my Palomino V32 combo and it sounds amazing in that amp. I was expecting it to sound equally as great through pretty much any amp but I guess that's not the case.

I have a WGS Vet 30 in my DSL40 which I need to try. I'll just use the DSL40 as a cab and hook up the speaker to the ROV25 and see how that sounds.

Al Rose

Gold Supporting Member
Anyone done it? I don't care for the Black Shadow C90 in my 50 Cal +. I'd like something with a little less spike in the top.
You might want to try a WGS ET-65. I've got one in my DC2 and it was a big improvement over the stock Black Shadow. Plus it's only $79 plus shipping new.

Al

kurt1981

Silver Supporting Member
I had a DC3 for a while and the swamp thang was good in parts and not in others. It adds a bit of bass which form most mesas in combos isn't a good thing, seems to kind of muddy things up, but it really helped the cleans come out more. I love swamp thangs for fender type amps, but the DC sounded better with a british voiced speaker, I think I ended up with a v30 or WGS's version of it in there when I sold it.

NoBrakes

Thanks, I pretty much gave up and decided it just was not the right amp for me. Someone got a nice amp though... All checked out and brought back to spec.

Puckbucker

Have a Swamp Thang with a more middy Fender / D Style amp.
It's a tad bassy but very clear / neutral and bold. Never strident but puts out tone with real authority at any meaningful volume level. Not the right speaker for every amp but with brighter, Fender type amps its sweet and pretty neutral (except for a bit more bass it doesn't color your tone a lot).

Trending Topics