1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

swamp thang vs. tremodillo ?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by leadguitar, May 22, 2011.

1. leadguitar

leadguitar Member

Hi guys,
    Next weekend I'll go and buy me a new tremolo pedal, I have two in mind; the diaz tremodillo and the monster fx swamp thang. Which would you recommend and why? What are the major differences between the two(I've read that they are very similar)? And what else would you recommend in the tremolo department ?

-K

2. tapeup

tapeup Butterscotch Supt. Member

Well I heard the Swamp-Thang was originally based off the Tremodillo, but from what I understand, Monster Effects hasn't made the version with the footswitchable double/half speed feature in quite some time, so if you can't find an original two footswitch version of the Swamp Thang, then I would opt for the Tremodillo since it will be a little more versatile.

3. Non-Digital Tom

Non-Digital Tom Member

Are they still making the Tremodillo?

4. rks89

rks89 Member

Having owned the bigger double switch version, I can't imagine using the slower settings for anything normal. It'd be a pretty unique application for a song considering it can go so...slow... I imagine the new smaller version is just as good with a better footprint. As for sound quality between the two I can't say. But my big box sounded great. Just don't let the slower speed thing scare you about the newer Swamp Thang.

Last edited: May 23, 2011
  5. gatordoc

gatordoc Member

I love my small box Swamp Thang. Amazing tone. After owning one for a while now, I agree with rks89 that the speed range works for the songs I play. Really quiet too. I'd think the Tremodillo would be similar except it would have the really slow speed option.

6. sstweed

sstweed Supporting Member

I have a couple Tremodillos, and have owned 3 Swamp Thangs (two of the older ones and one jr). The circuits are very similar. The jr loves to run at 12Vdc. The Tremodillo likes to be at or even slightly below 9Vdc.

The Swamp Thangs are all true bypass. But most of the time I actually like what the bypassed Tremodillo does to my sound.

The two knobs are very interactive so they are both less convenient to adjust live than opto trems are. But they aren't bad and once you figure them out, it's no problem.

The basic sounds are very similar. Both are about as organic as a pedal trem can get you.

7. sstweed

The website looks like it still functions.

8. leadguitar

leadguitar Member

That's excacly what I had heard, that the designs are very much alike. I'm probably going to go with the tremodillo unless I find a big box swamp thang in the right price range. But is there anything else you guys could recommend ? Tremulator ?

9. sstweed

Tremulator is an opti style trem. Was very similar to the Fulltone when I owned both of those. Doesn't sound much like the Tremodillo.

The Tremodillo was based on an old Schaller tremolo. There are kits, or so I am told, that are based on those. I have no experience with them. There was also an old Kay tremolo that was cool and similar, but hasn't been made in decades. Good luck finding one.

You might also try something based on the old Tremface or the EA style. They are sine style circuits, but sound quite different from the Tremodillo. I have experience with the EA style (BYOC) and have heard several clips of trems based on the Tremface. I prefered the Tremodillo, but you might not?

Best is just to listen. I wouldn't, at least at first, get too hung up on the circuit or the waveshape. There is much overlap in the sounds. I loved the opti style Semaphore, when several other opti style tremolos left me flat. Don't generalize. Try then decide.

10. rks89

rks89 Member

How slow are you going to need the Trem to go?

11. leadguitar

leadguitar Member

Not crazy slow, but I like that I can have the option of super slow speeds but I don't think I'd find myself in a sitiuation where I'd need super a slow setting.

12. ThinSkiner

ThinSkiner Member

The swamp thang jr is an incredible sounding trem but not being able to adjust the speed slower drive me nuts. I ended up finding an older big box swamp thang and having the slow speed switch cured me. If you don't need the slow speed then the jr is as good as it gets...

13. ruger9

ruger9 Supporting Member

+1.

BTW, the only other trem I know of that can get as slow as the older Swamp is the Guyatone VT-X Flip trem, but I don't like the tone of it anywhere near as much as the Swamp.

14. tapeup

I agree with this for the most part, except I just arrived at it from a different set of circumstances. I've never had a small box Swamp Thang, as they were only making the big box version when I bought mine. I had an old Tremulator though and loved it, but wanted a little more versatility, i.e. footswitchable speeds, so I bought the big Swamp Thang a few years ago. I love the sound of it but usually use a Throb as I also like being able to do the choppy trem, and it has a switch for that, plus the speed of its footswitchable speeds can each be adjusted, unlike the big box Swamp Thang and Tremodillo (or Supa-Trem for that matter, which I also had for a good while), that only double or halve the speed with the second footswitch. I guess I fall in the unusual middle ground of trem users, as to where I don't need all the bells and whistles of an Empress, Cusack or Diamond, etc., but do like more than just a simple single brown or blackface style trem. Once again, good luck on your trem search; there's tons of options out there these days.

15. 62Tele

62Tele Supporting Member

Maybe I tired a bad one, or maybe it caught me on the wrong day (probably more likely), but I didn't bond with the Swamp Thang. I had a great tone and the speeds were useable, but I didn't find the depth control to do much until it got somewhere between 12-1:00 and didn't get very deep overall. Too bad, looks like a nicely made pedal, but in the end I sent it back.

I ended up with Rockett Josh Smith Dual Trem and it's a great, no-nonsense gigging pedal. Sounds great, quiet, two independent settings, volume control and built like a friggin' tank. I turn mine vertical and it takes up hardly any more room than my old Semaphore. It's a very well thought out pedal and worth considering.

16. tapeup

I thought about trying the Rockett Josh Smith trem, but I really wish it had a chop or square-wave switch also. If it did, mmm that'd be nice. ;)

17. Lanard

Lanard Member

I really like the Tonefactor (Mojo Hand) Sugar Baby--it sounds great. I also have the Demeter Tremulator, Fulltone Supra-trem, Kaden Fluttertone (nice!), and the recent Swamp Thang small box. The Sugar Baby doesn't go super slow or fast, but you can get the classic soul and blues tremolo sounds and it lays nicely in a live mix. It's also small and a battery lasts a long time.

18. Rockerduck

Rockerduck Member

This thread interested me. I've used the tremolo on my Deluxe Reverb for the most part. Are these pedals better than the tube tremolo in the Deluxe Reverb?

19. rks89

rks89 Member

I imagine your DR isn't as swampy and thick as the Swamp Than per se. Personally I'd be inclined to think things sound better on your amp than in a pedal format. Haven't played a DR in a while but when I did I remember the trem and reverb were killer.

20. es137p

es137p Supporting Member

I never used the slow setting when I had the Tremodillo. I now have a Swamp Thang, small box, both very nice and similar. I liked that the Swamp Thang has true bypass.