Swankbox'd Skreddy Screw Driver

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by erksin, Feb 25, 2008.

1. erksin

erksin Member

[​IMG]

I haven't even plugged it in yet. :drool

2. fatback

fatback Member

that would match my B:ASSMASTER so perfectly... :drool :jo

congrats!:BEER

3. empty71

empty71 Member

Amazing finish on an equally amazing pedal :thumbs

4. Flying Panda

Flying Panda Member

That's sweet. So how do you get it Swankbox'd? That website has great pictures, but is devoid of any other useful information...

5. erksin

erksin Member

You contact Adam directly I guess - I dunno, I won the enclosure on another forum...

GORGEOUS finish in person...

6. kevinsaari

kevinsaari Member

I would be way stoked to own that. This is from a person who isn't really into the "swirly" trend.

7. erksin

erksin Member

Me either - but this thing looks so organic, like a nebula bursting or something. Lots of depth to it.

8. Rock72

Rock72 Member

Hey erskin, stop wasting your time on the forum....PLUG IT IN!!!

9. erksin

erksin Member

It'll have to wait until tomorrow - just put junior to bed... :(

10. Rock72

Rock72 Member

Know exactly what you mean (have a 2 yr old). Amps and pedals aren't that fun at whisper levels. BTW, have the Screwdriver, and it's a great pedal. I haven't started yet messing to much around with the settings on the sides of the pedal...waiting for my new amp until that will be done.

11. erksin

erksin Member

The trimmers are the key to dialing in the base tone, the Sharpness control is really more for fine tuning - I plan on spending tomorrow afternoon trying the different settings out.

12. Rock72

Rock72 Member

I see you have the Honey Bee and the Timmy as well. Let me know how that go together. With the Screwdriver that should cover a lot of ground. I just got my Honey Bee..

13. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

Adam makes some pretty boxes! Cant wait to hear how what you think of the pedal.

14. Soothsayer

Soothsayer (Paul) Supporting Member

:drool.......that is priceless!

15. bestegw

bestegw Member

Man, those Swankboxes are getting better and better... Combine that with a Skreddy and you have a definite winner!!!

16. fatback

fatback Member

here's a pic of it's Swankbox cuz.

[​IMG]

Adam really does some magic. This style reminds me of the old psychedelic oil lamp projections from the 60's.

:YinYang

17. erksin

erksin Member

Okay - just got through with tweaking/set-up and did a little comparing of the SD to what is currently occupying the lead boost/dirty Ge OD spot on my board, a PA DR w/C.

I have the SD set for punchy low gain - Volume at 2:00, Gain at 10:00, Sharpness at 11:00. The Brilliance pot is at the factory setting, and I tweaked around the Pregain pot until I got the bass response to the 'tightness with a little give' spot.

Really amp-like picking dynamics, play softly and it cleans up perfectly - hit it hard and it distorts in a very natural way. The note decays are great, no fake trail offs here. This really is my biggest priority when choosing a dirt pedal - if it doesn't sound natural, I totally lose interest.

The EQing is great for stacking - I found it totally melded with my Honey Bee's midrange, they didn't compete with each other freq-wise and they retained all the playing dynamics. Sounded awesome into the Timmy as well. I didn't try it into the Silver Kiss Mk.2 yet, but I had stellar results with these two when I borrowed my buddy's SD a few weeks ago.

Compared to the DR w/C - it has more harmonic content going on and sounds quite a bit bigger. The DR w/C has a pretty good midrange bark to it that reminds me of a Klon somewhat. That bark is awesome for my purposes because it tends to really focus my sound and keeps everything really tight and articulate. Since the SD is a little looser at the higher and lower ends of the spectrum it can't quite get that low end clarity on the same level as the DR w/C can.

I'll do a little more experimenting later this afternoon, but so far I'm really psyched about the tones I'm getting. IMO - it's almost like a cross between a CoT50 and a '69 (two pedals I have laying around that I plan on comparing to the SD as well). It has all the high end complexity of the CoT50 and all of that chewy low end grind of the '69.

Nice work, Marc!

18. todd richman

todd richman Senior Member

Beautiful pedal. I jusrt posted a thread seeking comparison of the SD and the Throbak ODB, both similar old school OD pedals based in part on older OD's from the early 70's. Nice review and setting suggestions also.

19. erksin

erksin Member

The ODB is one pedal I REALLY want to try out...

Wish I could help ya with the comparison!

20. therhodeo

therhodeo Member

Mike that last post was like an encyclopedia of corksniffer words. :p

I'll be on the phone with Marc this week though. :eek: