Swanson highlight 2x12

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by HeeHaw, Jun 16, 2005.

1. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

It looks similar to a 1936 Marshall cab. Does anyone have any experience with these cabs? They look really nice and appear to be a quality piece. The price looks right as well. :cool:

2. Spentmusic

Spentmusic Member

Hi Heehaw,

Glad you are checking out the hylight 2 x 12. It is a bit different then the 1936 in that it is made out of 3/4 baltic birch (100%) and has the HiWatt styling and large 1.5 inch radius on the front. Could be made with any type look, I just happen to like this much better then the small HiWatt 2 x 12 they build to go with there combo amplifiers as an extension speaker.

There are a number of them out there. Send Mark Huss a message as he has one. mark@mhuss.com

Email me with any questions. But we aware I'm out of town tomorrow/Friday till Monday afternoon and won't be able to respond till then.

Thanks for your interest.

Jeff Swanson
    SpentMusic
    www.dst-engineering.com
    www.swansoncabinets.com

3. Sean Doty

Sean Doty Member

I can't comment on the Hylight, but I just want to give some props to my man, Mr. Swanson. He built me a beautiful 2X12 (style 1, I believe) a few years ago and without hesitation I can say it has been my "go to" cab ever since it arrived on my porch. Hear's an older pic:

[​IMG]

Quality stuff to be sure!

4. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

Thank you for responding Mr. Swanson. Been looking for a Marshall style cab to go with my Reinhardt for a while now. I'll send you an email next week.

-Rich:)

5. dbeeman

dbeeman Gold Supporting Member

For Marshall style cabs, Jeff is hard to beat

I have a Bluebreaker type 2*12 that is very light and resonant. - different than what you are thinking of, but
    I don't think you can go wrong with the quality of construction and customer service. on any Swanson

6. tonedaddy

tonedaddy Member

I am here as you are here as you are me and we are
    This thread deserves a pic from your website!

[​IMG]

It looks like a nice alternative to the weight of a 4x12, too.
    Very cool!

7. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

That is the very cab that got my mouth watering to start with!:cool:

8. raz

raz Member

Jeff Swanson's work is stunning. It may LOOK vaguely similar to a Marshall 1936 in a photograph, but the comparison ends there.

I have owned both. Experienced in person, the 1936 couldn't hold a candle to a Swanson.

R
    A
    Z

9. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

I'll agree with you. I had a 1936 but hated the way it sounded. I took the back off and discoverd that nearly the whole cab was made of chipboard or OSB. I figured that, coupled with the GT12-75's is why it sounded so lifeless.:(

10. RichSZ

RichSZ Member

Jeff does awesome work. Here are my two cabs (another head cab I have is not pictured).

Great build quality and great tone.

Black cab is a 2x12 with dimensions of 28x22x12 with a slanted baffle. Huge sounding cab. Unfortunatley, I sold this one to buy the matching cab for my /13 amp...if only Jeff could of gotten some maroon tolex.

The blue amp is another awesome Swanson creation, a 2x12 18 watt combo. I built the amp, Jeff did the cab. That amp sounds killer if I do say so myself.

I highly recommend Swanson for your cab work.

:dude :dude

-Rich

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Spentmusic

Spentmusic Member

Hi HeeHaw,

I've been away since Thursday night and not sure if my auto reply was working or not. Back in the shop tomorrow morning and I guess right now!!! LOL

Thanks for the kind words guys!!! I'm doing this full time so let me know what you need!!

Regards,

Jeff Swanson
    SpentMusic
    www.dst-engineering.com
    www.swansoncabinets.

PS - Up coming reviews on DST amps in ToneQuest Reports, Vintage Guitar Magazine and still off a bit but coming, Guitar Player Magazine.

12. raz

raz Member

...and I bought it. That black one is the one I was talking about above. It DOES sound huge.

Thanks, Rich!

R
    A
    Z