Swap JJ E34L for 6L6 in old Fender Blues Deluxe?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by ultrevex, Jan 24, 2012.

1. ultrevex

ultrevex Member

I have a beater early 90s Fender Blues Deluxe that I'd like to get serviced. It needs output tubes, I have a pair of newish JJ E34L but no decent 6L6s laying around. Is the Blues Deluxe bias circuit easy enough to tweak to run these tubes and does the power transformer have enough juice to run them correctly?

I'm being cheap because it's an amp I'll only drag out a couple times a year and it would probably sound good with these tubes, assuming the cost to install and bias them isn't more than the $50 a pair of new 6L6s would run.

2. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    If your primary motive is saving money I think you're heading in the wrong direction.

I doubt if anyone knows, conclusively, if the power transformer is up to the additional heater current. As for the mod, no legitimate tech has a minimum charge of less than $50, most often higher.

3. Vibro

Vibro Member

Don't do it unless you plan on adding a filament transformer.
    just buy new tubes.

4. ultrevex

ultrevex Member

Thanks guys, I'll get some 6L6s for it.