Swap my supro for a prosonic

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by mdb74, Jan 25, 2020.

Tags:
  1. mdb74

mdb74 Member

Hi,

I have a supro saturn reverb which is lovely but I feel like a change...

I’m a bit of a weekend warrior and don’t gig and the wife has put a cap on guitar spending. I mainly play classic rock and blues and like slightly natural overdriven tones.

Someone has offered me a swap for a fender prosonic. I’ll test it out first but anyone think I should swap?

Cheerx!

2. Louthunder

Louthunder Member

If it is an older style Saturn with the 6973 tubes,keep it! You will not be happy with the Pro Sonic in comparison !

JasonElGato and mdb74 like this.
  3. gulliver

gulliver Supporting Member

I sold my Prosonic last year after getting into the boutiques. Good amp, but not to the level of other offerings that came after ... some of them at comparable pricing.

mdb74 likes this.
  4. Scheckenbacker

Scheckenbacker Member

Shame that you'd wanna ditch the Saturn, but the Prosonic gets good marks from what I've read.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fender_Prosonic?wprov=sfla1 Here's something that should help inform your decision.

5. Guppie

Guppie Member

I'm not familiar with the Supro but I have a Prosonic and I think it's "boutique" in sheep's clothing. It just needs attention to the right preamp tubes. If it is what you are looking for I can't say. There must be a reason you think about ditching the Supro.
    The Prosonic is a LOUD amp. It's not for bedroom players. As for market value and future collectability: the Prosonic has a small but hardcore fanbase and I see prices creeping up. From the €400-500 a few years ago to €700-800 now.

macmax77 likes this.
  6. Guppie

Guppie Member

I'm interested in what amps you found to be better for the same money.

7. gulliver

Amps I currently own ... both in head format, the THD Univalve ($450) and Bivalve ($700) are much better IMHO. Way more touch sensitivity and the tube swapping feature allows flexibility for a wide variety of tones. The Soldano Jet City is definitely more on the Vox/Marshall side, but can cover those tones better for $300 used.

A problem I had with the Prosonic was the heat. It kept needing caps. I'd recommend staying out of class A mode as there isn't that much of a difference and it seems to stay cooler.

8. ahhlou

ahhlou Member

I owned a Prosonic for a few years back in the late 1990's. Even though you had a choice of class A, class AB tube rec, or class AB SS rec, that sucker was LOUD. It had a great clean channel but I never got along with the lead ganged preamp channel. Did I mention it was LOUD. Not for home use or for a quiet stage. You really had to be rockin to use it effectively.

Try it out. You may like it. Did I mention it was LOUD...

DeadLazy and FenderBigot like this.
  9. gulliver

Yes loud, but not quite JCM800 2203/2204 loud. For all practical purposes, they will keep up with those amps, though. The problem with the cleans IMHO was the lack of presence control. I changed the crappy stock 2x10"s to a Jensen C10Q/P10R pair, which was a game changer for upper highs and vibe.

>>>>> Mods ... this thread would do better in the in the amp forum.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
    Scheckenbacker and ahhlou like this.
  10. StummerJoe

StummerJoe Gold Supporting Member

That Supro Saturn Reverb is a great little amp...what is it that makes you want to go for a change? I'd probably try different drive pedals first.

Scheckenbacker likes this.
  11. 70' s Tone

70' s Tone Member

I never met a Supro Saturn Reverb I did not like.
    Long live the 6973 power tubes and the 6V6 power tubes.
    Love that sag I get with the 5U4GB tube rectifier (15 watts - 6973 power tube edition)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Scheckenbacker and HeavyCream like this.
  12. Scheckenbacker

Scheckenbacker Member

Totally off topic, but is your screen name taken from Fight Club?

13. JasonElGato

JasonElGato Member

I've jammed on a ProSonic extensively, it's a little tough to tame in my opinion. It's almost a better metal amp than classic rock. I find it tough to dial in nice crunchy mid gain tones. It goes from zero to face melting gain even with low output pickups

14. FenderBigot

FenderBigot Supporting Member

I love my Prosonic. I put a 5751 tube in it and I leave it on the 25 watt setting. The cleans are fantastic and there is a ton of gain on tap for the dirt channel, way more than I ever need. I put a DD7 in the loop and I ride the volume on my guitar. :aok

macmax77 likes this.
  15. macmax77

macmax77 Supporting Member

Can you try before you make a decision?

16. ahhlou

ahhlou Member

nothing that ingenious.. It was what my Chinese mother in law used to call me...

Scheckenbacker likes this.
  17. ahhlou

ahhlou Member

Excellent point. I have tamed a few amps with 5751's. My favorite 12Ax7 replacement these days. Unfortunately, I was not aware of their existence when I owned my Prosonic decades ago...

FenderBigot likes this.
  18. Tonesnack

Tonesnack Member

Looks like you have both...which do you prefer? What type of music do you play?

19. 70' s Tone

70' s Tone Member

I like both equally.
    The 6973 power tube version has the rectifier tube, which is nice. It's the only Supro 6973 power tube amp that has the rectifier tube.

20. aeolian

aeolian Member

If you want a slightly overdriven tone, I'd stick with the Supro. Maybe hit the front end with something if you want more gain. The Prosonic has two gears. Very Fender clean and screaming gain (think the extra boost gain on a Hot Rod Deluxe). Bruce is essentially a rocker and the Prosonic is at the top of his gain world. If blues rock means singing Gary Moore tones, maybe, if you're looking for something a bit more restrained then the Supro would be more useful.
    I have a Black Magick and with a Mad Professor Supreme overdrive it gets super dynamic blues tones reminiscent of the old guys who dimed Quad Reverbs.