Swapped Amps - swapping 5150III to a JSX - Pod HD500 content

gearo999

There was a bit of a difference in tone. Using the efx return on the JSX the sound was a touch less responsive and less open. It may be the JJEL34s vs the 6L6's in the EVH. I messed with the settings on the HD but the EVH just sounded better. I'm thinking about changing the tubes on the JSX and Peavey makes decent gear. And I have two of them.

I'm planning on using the HD live in my coverband and I don't want to experiment with FRFR stuff. I think nice reliable tube head into a 2x12 or 1x12 should cover everything I need. Plus, if the amp breaks I can use the HD alone or if the HD breaks I can use the amp to get thru the gig. I'll never gig without some sort of backup.

GAD

Wubbalubbadubdub
Gold Supporting Member
IIRC the JSX will take 6L6s. I know I swapped out the EL34s in mine to 6x-somethings...

gearo999

IIRC the JSX will take 6L6s. I know I swapped out the EL34s in mine to 6x-somethings...
I need to do that. I just realized that the power amp controls still work...presence and resonance. I'm starting to get it dialed in.

Electric I

As someone who's interested in the 5150III 50 watt head coming out sometime this year, how do you like yours ?

gearo999

As someone who's interested in the 5150III 50 watt head coming out sometime this year, how do you like yours ?
I love it. I think it is a near perfect amp. Awesome clean, mid and high gain tone. It sounds a little modern to me. I'm more of a hot marshall kind of guy, but this a sweet amp. One of my all time fav amps.

Electric I

I love it. I think it is a near perfect amp. Awesome clean, mid and high gain tone. It sounds a little modern to me. I'm more of a hot marshall kind of guy, but this a sweet amp. One of my all time fav amps.

Good stuff.

Even with it's modern bent, I'm hoping to get older school tones as well with split/parallel/single coil/p90-equipped instruments.

Trending Topics