swapping el84s for 6V6?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by mcormier, Mar 16, 2008.

1. mcormier

mcormier Guest

I have a Z mazerati. I really love the quick response, cleans and semi clean tones, but i really dont like the ice-pick high end and the "squishy" feel of the el84s. Would it somehow be possible to get 6V6s (quad) or el34s (pair) in there?

Maxim

2. fridgit

fridgit Member

I had asked a couple of the on line tube stores about this very same subject and they both told me no. Unfortunately, one can only go the opposite way - from bigger tubes down to EL84s via Yellowjackets (made by THD).

I really didn't care for the EL84's ice pick trebles (aka guitar "bite" to some) and I ended up getting rid of that amp for a 6V6 amp.

Whoever comes out with this invention will rake in some serious cash, though.

3. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    EL84s have 9 pins, all the other types have 8 pins.

EL84s alone don't produce icepick highs. You should seriously investigate different speakers.

4. fridgit

fridgit Member

I hear ya, but, honestly, IME, every EL84 amp I've played through has produced these ice pick trebles. Unfortunately, I never tried different speakers or even beam blockers, but I have tried other amps with different power tubes and similar -if not the same- speakers, and did not get this ice pick effect with any of the other amps. Just my experiences.

5. retrobob

retrobob Member

Man! I love EL84s, I also love 6v6s! Out of all the amps I own, Its probably a 50/50 split between the two. My take in EL84s are, more of a chimey British sounding tube. But not trebley. Yes, they may compress "Squish?"more at higher vol. But thats usually a good thing, at least for me.

6. DGDGBD

DGDGBD Member

I would think icepick highs are more a function of the circuitry and speakers. My only el84 amp, a spitfire clone, doesn't suffer from icepick-itis (and that's with a V30).