Swapping Suhr neck?

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by sampleinajar, Jan 8, 2008.

1. sampleinajar

sampleinajar Member

A strange question, and don't ask how I got here, but I was wondering if anyone knows if a standard 'fender' strat neck will fit in a Suhr Classic-S? Before I go unscrewing everything to check for myself, I thought I would ask.....

Thanks in advance-

Steve

2. jmckeown88

jmckeown88 Member

haha, what size suhr neck do you have? Maybe I'll swap you suhr neck for suhr neck.

3. cochese

cochese Supporting Member

I doubt it. What standard Fender neck. They are all pretty different. The Suhr necks are made to really exact tolerances to fit the body. Also there is one short screw in the Suhr neck pocket that is for the tapered heel. Your best bet would be to just try it or have a good tech make it work.

John could probably put a new neck on it. He actually made a neck for my old 70's Strat. He is licensed to do so. Are you doing this because you don't like the Suhr neck or you prefer the Fender headstock?

4. sampleinajar

sampleinajar Member

I figured I would have to explain myself more. OK. I love my Suhr. The neck is an even C slim, Indian RW one, which is just a tad too slim for me. It isn't unworkable though, and it is a great guitar that I don't believe in mucking with. I trust John's quality control that I could buy another with a different neck that would meet or exceed this one, so that's not it.

I recently built a very nice Strat using a piece of 300 yr old maple for the neck. I love the tone of maple neck strats, and I have two more neck blanks of the same wood that could, possibly, be the source of an interesting Suhr (or other builder's) Strat down the road. I don't know if John would use a piece of user-supplied wood for a neck. But that is putting the cart ahead of the horse anyway. If the Suhr neck pocket is the same as Fender's then I could just have a standard neck cut and try it out. I could always use the neck on a different aftermarket Strat body if I decided not to go the Suhr route.

I was well aware of the tight fit of the Suhr neck, hence my question. I know from my strat build, where I purposely made a very tight neck pocket, that you can chip finish, etc. when removing/replacing tight-fitting necks, and so I thought it would be a good idea to ask first.

Here is my strat build with the nice maple neck (Suhr-FLs baby!):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. dbeeman

dbeeman Gold Supporting Member

FWIW, I actually asked Suhr about swapping Suhr neck for Suhr neck and they recommended I did not do it.

They will make a new neck for your Suhr, but I think they keep the old one,
    and it costs $500 IIRC

6. cochese

cochese Supporting Member

A Jersey guy. What exit?

I have a friend of mine in NY who is constantly swapping necks but he takes them to Rudy's and they do it. I would say as long as it's a close aproximate fit it could be done. You would really have to ask John about supplying the wood. He is pretty flexible. He could also just make a maple neck for your Suhr but he usually advises to just sell the guitar. I do get what you are trying to do though. Sounds like it could be a Suhr'Pergo but let's not go there. Suhr offers so many different neck shapes and he can also probably copy a particular shape if you want but I don't know what the cost would be.

7. sampleinajar

sampleinajar Member

I live near Somerville. No idea what GSP exit - I am a transplant. :)

To clarify, I have no intention to permanently modify my Suhr - I would sell it first because it is a great guitar and shouldn't be mucked with. I am interested in hearing what the alder suhr body (which I know is a good one) would sound like with this particular piece of maple. The strat I built is an old piece of basswood, so not directly comparable. I don't want to custom order a Suhr (if he would do it) only to find out that that combo sounds like crap, hence my test scenario.

My current maple neck started out as an EJ-like neck carve (USACG), that was hand shaped down to a slightly thinner version, keeping the shallow V. It is close, but not absolutely ideal, to what I am looking for. With only two neck pieces left, I am agonizing over what to do with them!

Steve

8. Aardvark

Aardvark Silver Supporting Member

I know this does not directly answer your question, but FWIW, some Suhr necks are interchangeable. I once had three Suhrs and could not resist tone tweaking by switching necks. One of the necks would not fit the other two bodies but the other two guitars had easily interchangeable necks. This was fortunate because the interchangeable necks had different fingerboard woods (maple and rosewood) and sounded noticeably different. By reversing the necks, the tone of each guitar improved to my ear. I did this years ago and still have both guitars with their reversed necks. I couldn't be happier. Now, if you go forcing necks where they don't want to go, you are asking for trouble. Also, some necks which are easy to switch may then be impossible to set up correctly.