Swapping tubes...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by mitch236, Aug 18, 2008.

1. mitch236

mitch236 Member

I keep reading these threads about guys swapping out tubes again and again to find that perfect tube and I began to wonder, isn't this bad for the amp? I guess if you swap one set per day that wouldn't be too bad but I have this picture of turning the amp off and pulling tubes then turning it back on, trying them out then turning the amp off, swapping and back on. Over and over again. Isn't this bad for the amp?

2. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    If you did it 1000 times the socket contacts might get a little loose, but in general there's no problem in doing this.

3. mitch236

mitch236 Member

So it doesn't matter to the amp how many times you turn it on and off?

4. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    The tubes would be most sensitive to that but typically endure 1000s of on/off cycles .

5. trap

trap Supporting Member

thanks for asking this question, i've been wondering the same thing.

6. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Not really. You probably know this but just to specify, I think most that swap tubes are only talking about preamp, and usually only talking about the one V1 (first tube after input).

The amp stays warm when you turn it off, and turn it back again with the new tube it takes less time to get "up to speed" on the amp.

I got a used Soldano, and ended up trading in about 5 different ones, where one absolutely stood out as best. It was also slightlly microphonic, but the sound was so great and it was so little I kept with it.

Nice to have a few extras to try...

7. richey88

richey88 Member

My fav 12AT7 that I have is microphonic, but phuck it, it's the best sounding one I have....today.