Swart 3-way EQ vs. clean/boost switch

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by GGinMP, Feb 20, 2014.

1. GGinMP

GGinMP Silver Supporting Member

Anyone play different Swart amps that have the 2-way EQ (STR-Tremolo) vs. a clean/boost switch (Atomic Jr, STR-Tweed)? I love the clean/boost on the Atomic Jr, but I'm thinking about moving up to the STR-Tremolo. I'd love to hear how these two features compare.

2. joesnewmatch

joesnewmatch Music Is My Soul Food Supporting Member

Hah, GGinMP -- I'm in the same boat. Lately I've been so happy with my Atomic Jr. that I've also been trying to convince myself that I need another Swart , one with tremelo or just more dials to play with. That said, I'm not sure that any of that would be better than my ultra-portable Atomic Jr., that I transport each Saturday. It's the perfect size with enough clean and enough dirt to keep me more than happy, with any of my guitars.

I remember reading a lot of initial interest in the STR-Trem, but not much since. Perhaps there are lots of happy owners that don't post? There have been a few demos on YouTube. I'm not sure if all of them are still available, but model sounded very dynamic, with lots of usable and different EQ options. It may also be that people who were interested in a 12" speaker and tremelo went ahead and opted for the AST or one of the head models.

But, like you, I'm curious and looking forward to posts from actual owners...

3. tobyk

tobyk Member

Anyone knows what the 3-way EQ switch do? Is it switching between different coupling caps?

4. HotBluePlates

HotBluePlates Member

DISCLAIMER: I've never opened up any Swart amp, or even played one.

99.9% of the time, when you see one of these switches (especially the mini-toggle type Swart uses, and when the switch is positioned near the input jack & first tube stage) it selects between 2 values of cathode bypass cap. If the switch is 3-position, usually it's an On-Off-On type and the center position is no bypass cap.

The setup I'm describing would usually be a center position with lower gain & flat frequency response, one outer position with boosted highs and maybe mids (small-value cathode bypass cap), and the other outer position with full-bandwidth higher gain (large cathode bypass cap). Sometimes that latter setting is described as "Fat" or "Deep" as it obviously bumps up lows compared to the brighter setting.

5. dividedsky

dividedsky Supporting Member

I've had both, currently just the atomic jr. The str trem switch is definitely more of an eq switch than the atomic Jr. The atomic is more about feel and gain to me where as the trem switch either added brightness or bass.

6. tobyk

tobyk Member

Thanks, both of you! Bypass caps makes sense!

7. tobyk

tobyk Member

@dividedsky Btw, if I may ask, why did you keep the Atomic and not the STR? How would you describe the differences?

8. dividedsky

dividedsky Supporting Member

I like the cleans better on the Atomic Jr. and the reverb is way more powerful which is also huge plus for me. The STR-Trem is really nice, especially if you want to use the tremolo a lot. It has a lot of fans but wasn't my favorite trem. The STR-Tweed has really great overdrive. They all have something special, just depends what you want.

s360guitarist likes this.
  9. es137p

es137p Supporting Member

should have read this before private messaging you.