swart amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by shednz, Mar 12, 2008.

1. shednz

shednz Member

Hi all from New Zealand where I just got a swart spacetone 6v6se now that they stocking some up in AUckland! AMazing amp as many of you are aware i'm sure. Immediately I am on the mission of getting this tone for club/pub levels but living in the South Island (Dunedin) menas I can't test drive. Hence i'm asking around re ideas/experiences people have of the swart atomic and the super spacetone 30. How much clean headroom does the atomic have - enough for general gigging where I need some cleans that can get over the drummer? Conversely hows the super space's master volume? Detract from tone at all. I generally avoid master volume amps. anything else you all can tell me is greatly appreciated. I had been thinking of getting a victoria bandmaster for gigging but the tone of this swart has me hooked, so I guess my basic question is how to get the 5 watt swart tone for gigging volume? Cheers 2 all.

2. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place... Silver Supporting Member

Congrats..I got an AST from Ryan at Custom Audio Boutique a while ago.

3. shednz

shednz Member

hey - this swart guy might just match the hype huh? How do you find AST when playing with a drummer? ANy cleans survive the volume needed?

4. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place... Silver Supporting Member

Well I have no problems but I do tend to use it for smaller club rooms in an Alt-Country/Americana band where we try to keep our general stage volume down for the sake of the mix and I like my amp on the edge of clipping rather than loud and dead clean.

I guess it's gonna depend on your style and the volume of your band. Bear in mind you can put 6L6's in the AST for more headroom. Oh, also, Swart are releasing another AST head in a few months so that would be another option.

Interestingly I'm on the verge of ordering an SE because I find the AST a bit loud for home!

Grant.

5. shednz

shednz Member

Well the SE's still got some volume but I find it ok at home, certainly breaking up at way quieter levels than the victoria 20112 I have...and that tone :) Enjoy.

6. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster Member

I have both the AST and the SST. For clean headroom, the SST obviously has more. And the master is so good, it won't kill the tone at lower volume. Both amps will make you happy, but the SST has more versatility.

7. Grant Ferstat

New AST head will apparently have a master also..

8. * velcro-fly *

* velcro-fly * Supporting Member

SST owner / lover here.....a heartbeat away from buying the AST but an SST dropped in my lap. It's simply alot more of a really good thing. You can't go wrong either way and the AST is simply the coolest looking amp I've ever seen. I like the SST more every time I turn it on.

Steve E

9. shednz

shednz Member

Cheers guys, would you say the sst maintains the same kind of tone that i'm getting out of the 6v6se. Man it is so tasty... :)

10. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster Member

Here's a thread with a clip of the SST I posted a while ago going through the increasing levels of gain. The clip's nothing special other than as an indicator of what's in the amp.

11. kevin hart

kevin hart Supporting Member

I use the AST with a pretty loud drummer and it has enough clean headroom for me. We use full PA with my own monitor mix and I have not had to put it in my monitor at all. I've never played the SST, but if it sounds like the AST, only more versatile volume wise, then I'd say it sounds like a winner.

12. DavidH

DavidH Member

My STR just arrived!! Just got a call,off to my folks tonight to pick it up...

13. e-z

e-z Member

That one has me interested. If it had tremolo it seems like it would be the perfect little amp.

Please post your impressions of it when you have a chance.

ez

14. DavidH

DavidH Member

Posted some early impressions of the STR here http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=358176

Summary;so far i think it's really cool.lol.

Tremolo;i'm waiting for the new Area 51 tube trem pedal to come out.But yeah a mini AST would be sweet.

15. alainguitars

alainguitars Member

I'm not a fan. The AST I had, had major rattling noises from the thin chassis. The ceramic tube inserts are very cheap and are not sized properly to easily accept different tube manufacturers. Tone was OK. Cabinet does not accept a lot of different speakers due to space constraints.

16. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

i played an AST for about five minutes before i plugged into the SST. i never went back to the AST, but i've played the SST many times subsequently and vaguely lust after one as none of the amps i currently own is anything like it.

17. Grant Ferstat

Was yours an early build? I believe there were some issues regarding early cabs but have not had any issues with mine.

It is true that the cabinet is won't fit every 12" speaker on the market but the design of the cab is also one of the reasons for the voicing. It's not to say that you can't fit a range of different speakers in the AST though. The G12H30 seems to be a popular speaker choice. I might try one someday but really I have no issues with the stock speaker.

Re the tube inserts?

I've had several different types of preamp and output valves in mine both new and NOS and had no issues.

18. e-z

e-z Member

Thanks for that link. I really liked those clips also so it's good to hear that the amp didn't disappoint you when you heard it in person. Damn. I'm trying to get rid of amps.

19. Stephen J

Stephen J Supporting Member