Swart and Clubman report

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by cg, Mar 17, 2008.

1. cg

cg Silver Supporting Member

Sorry this isn't a longer post, but I have been swamped at work and just haven't had as much time as I'd like with either amp.

Swart AST: I love this amp! Some of the very best clean tones I've ever heard. I also really like the OD tones. It doesn't sound like anything I've ever owned before. A candidate for the perfect home amp IMO. I love my Strat into the low input and my Les Paul into the high input. I want a Tele so very bad to use with this amp. I think a Nocaster or Esquire + Swart would = sonic gold. I can only imagine the possibilities... My only criticism is that I wish it was louder. It's a fine line between not loud enough, the perfect volume and too loud. I like the Swart to be a touch louder.

Matchless Clubman: this amp has an immense sonic footprint. It sounds absolutely HUGE. A brilliant mix of a Vox and vintage Marshall to my ears. Lots of sparkle in that amp! I am very impressed by the low end. I didn't know what to expect, but this amp has balls. The only drawback for me is the volume. It's probably too loud for what I need, but we'll see.

I can't help but wonder what the Swart SST is like.

2. Peppy

Peppy Member

Did you try the AST with 6L6s? A touch more perceived volume and some more headroom.

3. Peppy

Peppy Member

Oh just saw your last sentence. The SST is something you should definitely try. Great amp, especially with the factory 2 X 12" cab.

4. dave s

dave s Member

Hey CG,

the good thing about the Clubman is that it sounds great at ANY volume! Enjoy that amp.

dave

5. Heinz W

Heinz W Genuine '66 Relic Gold Supporting Member

I tried to sell you on the SST in your other thread. :D You decided on two amps instead, and while I'm sure the AST sounds great the SST is much more versatile thanks to the MV. Still, you did good and now have two sweet amps! Enjoy.

6. cg

Very true, Dave!

7. cg

I know... because I had never played the SST or AST, I was hesitant to buy in brand new and take a potential hit if I didn't like it.

8. Tramp

Tramp Gold Supporting Member

Hey Chance,

I'm glad you're still digging the AST! I love 6L6s generally, but didn't much take to them (NOS Jan Philips) when I've plugged them into what's now your amp. There was more volume for sure, but a loss of the dimensionality you get with 6V6s. YMMV, of course.

Peter

9. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

Good stuff. As I've mentioned in a few of your other posts -the Clubman is one amazing amp - and LOUD!!!!!!!! As with most tube amps - it sounds even better cranked up! Enjoy!

10. cg

I absolutely love the tone as is and don't want to swap out the 6V6s for fear of losing the magic of the amp.

11. themusicboxstudios

themusicboxstudios Member

lemme know if you sell the clubman :Devil

12. jiml

jiml Supporting Member

Me tooo!

13. * velcro-fly *

* velcro-fly * Supporting Member

It's freaking awesome, that's what it's like ;)

My own two amp rig at the moment is the SST and my ever steady Aiken Intruder...just magic all the way around.

Glad your digging the AST...again, told you so.

Steve E

14. Tramp

Tramp Gold Supporting Member

I agree entirely. I tried some really nice NOS Brimar 6V6s in the AST and found I liked the stock JJs even better. The perfect blending of 6L6 and 6V6 tone in a single tube!