Swart AST arrived...check it out!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by markom89, Sep 14, 2006.

1. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

Hey guys, well I picked up my brand new Swart AST from fedex last night... I had to pay a $300 duty tax on it...I wasnt too happy about that, but, it was worth it. So I brought it home, first just plugged the guitar into the amp, and man, oh man, I got some of the nicest cleans that Ive heard. It can get some very rich sounding cleans and despite being only 20 watts has quite a bit of clean headroom considering its size. It starts to break up around 2:00 I found. Once you dime it you get some of the nicest drive tones ever...this only on the "low" input channel...When you plug into the "hi" input channel youre in natural distortion heaven. I cant describe how nice the tones comming from this input can get when the amp is full blast. I should be getting the Swart boost pedal next week which is supposed to take it even more over the top. I really cant get over the tones this amp can get. I cant keep it on full though since the parents keep yelling at me and telling me to turn it down. Oh yea, the reverb and tremolo are quite possibly amongst the best I've ever heard on an amp...It takes effects VERY well and I am attaching a picture of the pedals I was running into it...I love the sound of kicking in a nice fuzz once the amp is full blast...Its amazing. I love how the notes stay clear even when the amp is full blast, the chords sound very harmonically complex. I dont know what else to say. I love it. Here are some pictures, Enjoy. Tell me what you guys think. Cheers.

Marko M.

P.S. Maybe some of you were right when you said I will have to mic it at a 500 person show...at a smaller venue (100-200 people) I think it would be alright wouldnt it?...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. themusicboxstudios

themusicboxstudios Member

congrats man.

as much as you get on my nerves some times, that's a pretty dope rig.

i hope you enjoy it to its fullest.

record some damn clips sometime! fuzz shootout or something.

peace.

3. Guyote

Guyote Member

Congrats, markom! Beautiful little amp, and I've been lusting after one myself for about a year now. Hopefully this Christmas.

Nice rig, dude.!:AOK

~G~

4. themusicboxstudios

themusicboxstudios Member

btw, if the amp will run at 16 ohms ... run a speaker cable to the orange 2x12 ... i bet that'd be interesting. might help it get louder for practices.

5. mprvise

mprvise Member

Holy hella nice rig for a kid that still lives at home! I was playing a Crate solid state POS with three crap effects when I was your age, and hating it! Congrats man. :AOK

6. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

wait I thought you already had a thread for this? Did you make a second one?

Nice lookin amp!

7. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009

That slate floor kicks! Love the layout, although I would have selected a darker color grout.

Congrats on the new products.

8. lv

lv Supporting Member

congrats, great amp. Best amp I have played for overdriven old school blues tones, wonderful feel too.

9. whoismarykelly

whoismarykelly Oh look! This is a thing I can change!

Eew. Phaser goes after gain.

10. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

Not necessarily... I kind of like the Deluxe Moon Phaser before the gain.

11. J Purcell

J Purcell Member

Congratulations. I've got my 2nd one on the way now. I foolishly sold the 1st one. This one I'll keep.

12. Brick

Brick Member

Nice review and pics Marko.

That rig is awesome and should be fine mic'd. If you ever get a chance you really should record some clips.

Congrats and enjoy it :dude

13. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

Hey Guys, thanks alot for all the comments, I really appreciate it. I havent been able to stop playing it!!!...I came home for lunch from school today and no-one was home so I just came straight down to my basement and started playing on full blast, and before I knew it what seemed like 10 minutes turned out to be two hours and I was really late for class;)...but I can honestly say that theres nothing like a good amp on full blast. The hi input just gets me the sweetest drive tones ever. With the purchase of this amp I feel like I dont have GAS for any other amp out there. Well, I will need something louder...thats a different story. I really should pick up a good mic though and record some clips...I really like the idea of the fuzz shoot-out. Ive got a few more fuzzes kickin' around some where...Ill try and pick up a mic when I get a chance...with the money Ive spent on customs lately I could of bought a good mic...like I said the amp was $300 in customs, and today my ZVex Box of Rock came and was $60!!!...oh well. Ive got some good recording programs so it shouldnt be a problem. Thanks again for all the kind comments guys. Sorry if my replys take longer, its just that I literally CANNOT stop playing this amp. I always like it with a little bit of reverb on...maybe at 8:00. I can get some great Gilmour sounds from it with the reverb at about 12:00 and with the skreddy mayo. I can get many different sounds, and as I said the clean is just killer. Id love to hear this amp running in stereo with another nice amp which is a bit louder and some more gain. Cheers.

Marko M.

P.S. What would be a good mic for recording guitar?...I dont know anything about mics...Ive got a really cheap $40 one laying around somewhere...would that be good enough? P.S. P.S. Thanks for the post about my slate flooring. I dont like it, it was my dads idea...hes a builder.

14. utterhack

utterhack Member

Cool, mang.

Have you tried running it through that cab yet?

15. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

no...I dont have any speaker cable and I wouldnt know what to plug in where...

16. Guyote

Guyote Member

Shure SM57 is the classic guitar recording mic. About 100 bux new.

~G~

17. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

Sounds good. Ill pick it up next time Im at GC over in Buffalo...Man I really cant take this amp off of full blast...I wonder how the Swart boost will sound into it???...Ill also be picking up some good speaker cable and going to attempy connecting it to the orange 2x12...Havving this kind of amp now, with the beautiful drive tones makes me wanna get a /13 for some reason...or a bad cat, fuchs, two rock, or komet...Or even a Marshall!!!

18. parker

parker Member

Savour and explore what you have right now before you start hunting for more gear, it's a great rig.... :jo

19. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

Man, I have to say this again...this is the best amp Ive owned...I honestly cannot stop playing it!!!...together with the TTE and a good fuzz pedal (BJF or Skreddy preferably) its truely a thing of beauty...Ive been playing ALOT more now that I have the AST than I played before with my old mesa... and I swear Ive gotten alot better too!

20. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place... Silver Supporting Member

Marko I can't tell you how pleased I am to hear you say this!!!!
    Having a piece of equipment that really inspires you to improve rather than just having lots of toys is really the key. We all love our toys but...

Hey I'm really getting into the idea of the Swart AST. From what I hear they'll do the Alt-Country thing really well. I nearly ordered the baby Swart for home but ultimately it wouldn't have covered enough playing situations for me.

I used the little Trace Velocette I recently purchased last night in a small gig situation and it didn't really cut it-it's just too boxy. I've tried two different speakers-still no good. I could run it through an external cab but that defeats the purpose of having a small carryable amp.

Anyway, back to the Swart. I'm thinking of getting one for smaller gigs, fly-tours and recording, my Vox for the medium size gigs and running both a la Wilco's Jeff Tweedy when I can get away with the volume.

I don't s'pose anyone has a used one that'll run off 240 volt!

By the way. I hear Greg V put a G12H30 in his-what would this do tonally compared to the standard speaker?