1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Swart AST owners: speaker swaps?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by tommc, May 22, 2011.

1. tommc

tommc Member

I really like my Swart AST but sometimes, can't resist the urge to tweak. I'd like to hear from anyone who has swapped speakers in the AST. What did you try and what were the results?

Mine has the stock Brit Vintage speaker. I talked to Micheal Swart about options and he said that a lot of folks like the Celestion Gold (which he offers) in this amp.

Yes, I tried doing a search, but I couldn't narrow down the results enough to find this specific question.

2. Groberts

Groberts Silver Supporting Member

I put a Celestion Gold in my Swart, replacing the Mojotone BV25. Never looked back. Also did an A-B-C with my Swart and a couple others. (All AST's) ...The Heritage G12H30 has bigger punch and low end than either the Mjotone or Celestion Gold. The Heritage Greenback G12h30 is a Very very good speaker in the AST too!

Here's a pic of my Swart (which I almost sold in a moment of stupidity, but came to my senses!:

[​IMG]
    http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff170/gair1944/Guitar Amps/Swartfront.jpg

Last edited: May 23, 2011
  3. tommc

tommc Member

Any more comments out there??

4. flantrax

flantrax Supporting Member

I use a Celestion GOLD in my AST PRO...works great...I think it fits the vibe of the amp well...I also have an AST MK-II Head and it works well with Alnicos, G12H30's, greenbacks, ect...I even push my 4x12's with it...I think you're pretty safe with whatever style speaker you like...

5. thedroid

thedroid Member

Be careful to know the specs on the speaker; not a lot of room for error in the Swart cab.

I tried a cannabis rex in mine once, and an Eminence RW&B. I preferred the stock Mojotone. But obviously any speaker that Swart offers as an upgrade might be worth trying.

6. Crazyquilt

Crazyquilt Guitar Dad Silver Supporting Member

That's pretty close to my experience, as well. I have a Gold in my AST Mk II, after trying a lot of speakers in an original AST, an AST with a pro panel, and finally my AST head. That combination is magic for me, and, believe me, I've tried a LOT of speakers. And, yes, changing speakers in the original cab is a total PITA. That was one of the big selling points of the head and cab for me. That being said, once I put a Gold in there, I knew that was it, for me. Before that, a British greenback was my favorite.

7. Groberts

:) The British Greenback is my second favorite with the AST as well. I too am thinking of going with the AST or AST II Master Head and a separate cab for ultimate versatility. Just love my Swart however! The Grab n Go aspect of the AST combo is quite sweet!

8. Peppy

Peppy Member

I like the Heritage in my PRO....keeps out the "boxiness".

9. ruger9

ruger9 Supporting Member

People keep talking about this "boxiness".... I don't hear it. I just played an AST Pro with the Mojo speaker, and it sounded warm & thick... certainly not boxy. No desire to put another speaker in it; it's PERFECT as is.

Sometimes I think people just tend to like "different" for different's sake. Nothing wrong with that, but it's not "better"...just different.

Personally, I think Michael got it right the 1st time.

10. Crazyquilt

The Mojo does need to break in, I think, to really sound good. I, personally, was looking for a different flavor, as you say, ruger9. Some people really dig the Heritage, like Greg V. It's all good...well, Greg might be a little better than just good. ;)

Interestingly, the guy I bought my head & cab from had a Jensen Blackbird in it, and swore it was his favorite after checking out a lot of speakers. It almost made the amp sound like a blackface...it was pretty striking. I couldn't get it out fast enough. I bet he'd hate my Gold in there. :p

11. Peppy

Peppy Member

The PRO has a deeper cab than the standard AST....reduces the boxier sound.
    Never heard a PRO though with a Mojotone.

"Different" makes the proverbial world go 'round. As to "better" not sure where anyone had said such.

12. Groberts

I bought my AST with the mojotone speaker in it. It sounded so great to me,
    I had to have it! But since I had a celestion gold sitting around from my previous amp
    I decided to try it. To my ears, it was sweeter. My friend who was there with his AST
    Agreed.

As for the Ast sounding boxy, I plugged in my AST head to an external Avatar cab
    That was physically bigger to compare. The amp instantly took on a larger more
    Open sounding character. That is about cabinet size. Not the speaker. Just my
    Experience.

13. thesjkexperienc

thesjkexperienc ^^^ I made this guitar^^^ Supporting Member

I have the Pro and put a Scumback J55 65 Watt speaker in and it is so much better than the Heritage IMHO. The Scumback has more mids and a warmer more harmonically rich top end where the Heritage was almost scooped sounding and had an extended, too clear, top end that I didn't like. I play Strats and Teles and you can have too much top end!

I am also really liking Tung Sol 5881s in the power section as they have a big, firm low end that the 6v6 often lack. I picked up an old Zenith 5y3 that mates with the 5881s perfectly and sounds beautiful cranked.

14. Peppy

Peppy Member

Just maxed my PRO with my Anderson Classic and with my 50th Anniversary R0. I started thinking about how nice a blue alnico would sound.

15. Crazyquilt

My understanding is that the amp puts out more than a Blue can safely, reliably handle, hence the use of Golds.

16. Peppy

Peppy Member

Yeah. For a short time I believe they offered them in the ASTs.
    However, I have an AC30TBX running 33 watts and boosted with a fairly hot pedal, and both the blues in that amp keep going.
    Mostly what I would probably do is find a similar speaker and that can handle about 25 watts. Maybe a "certain poster" in this thread has his greenback I can try.

17. gatornavy

gatornavy Member

Last edited: May 29, 2011
  18. snod911

snod911 Member

I'm lusting after the AST and leaning toward the Mk II head/cab option. I have a Scumback Scumnico that I'm thinking would be just the ticket, since people seem to love the Celestion Gold in there so much. Anybody ever try one in a Swart?

19. Peppy

Peppy Member

20. gatornavy

gatornavy Member

No. I don't use a booster or humbuckers. I do turn it up though. If I did use a booster or gain at high volumes, I'd probably opt for a more powerful speaker just to be safe. For my use, a blue is perfect.