• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Swart AST Pro - which OD pedal, or just a clean boost?

daacrusher2001

Silver Supporting Member
Played my newly acquired AST Pro at rehearsal last night. Used two OD's - a Suhr Shiba Drive and a Fulltone Fulldrive 2. They were both pretty good, and I really never tried either prior to rehearsal. I like the OD of the amp without any pedal, but it's too loud for rehearsal, so I need to use a pedal or an attenuator.

I was wondering what other AST Pro owners like for OD with this amp? Not looking for high gain, just classic rock tones, southern rock, that kind of thing.

Also, I read a lot about the RC Booster on this forum. Is that maybe a better option for this amp?

Oh, also wondering if any has tried the '57 Tweed from Wampler with this amp? Can't find a video on it. I thought that might be a good pedal to try.

Flatscan

Silver Supporting Member
Most any light OD will work. I would get a premium Mythical OD, KTR, or Soul Food.

My fav on that amp is the MO.

[single coils]

Flatscan

Silver Supporting Member
Other drive pedals that I've really liked through a Swart...

Greer Tone Smuggler, Vintage OD 390, Lightspeed
BF Model G, Honeybee, Model H, Emerald Green
Swart Fuzzy Boost and Atomic Boost
Most tube screamers, specifically Relic, Blue Collar, Sparkle Drive Mod, East River Drive/808
Menatone Red Snapper, Shut Up and Drive, Foxy Brown, Working Man's Blue
JHS Superbolt, Twin Twelve
Catalinbread Formula 5F6, Formula 5
Wampler Tweed '57
Timmy
TC Spark, large pedal vs. micro
Hartman LM 308 (rat clone), Mooer/Donner Micro rats
Donner Morpher (Suhr Riot clone)
Most germanium fuzzes, silicon not so much

All with single-coils, most with P-90s, experimenting now with PAFs.

I stack my gain. If I run the Tweed '57, I usually run it last and run it hot. The other tweeds do a better job imo at lower gain/volume settings.

Given the volume constraints that you described, and assuming you need/want tweed, I would recommend a Honey Bee.

If I had to pick one for all-around use I would go with a MO, a Honey Bee, a Foxy Brown, or a Tone Smuggler. [There is no ranked order with those 4.]

The AST Pro is an amazing amp with or without pedals. Enjoy!

daacrusher2001

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks for that video...I hadn't seen it before. I actually have a Timmy and tried it last night, coincidentally with the same MXR. If you turn the gain to zero it really does not color the tone at all. I'm thinking I'll try it Sunday with the band now...

daacrusher2001

Silver Supporting Member
Other drive pedals that I've really liked through a Swart...

Greer Tone Smuggler, Vintage OD 390, Lightspeed
BF Model G, Honeybee, Model H, Emerald Green
Swart Fuzzy Boost and Atomic Boost
Most tube screamers, specifically Relic, Blue Collar, Sparkle Drive Mod, East River Drive/808
Menatone Red Snapper, Shut Up and Drive, Foxy Brown, Working Man's Blue
JHS Superbolt, Twin Twelve
Catalinbread Formula 5F6, Formula 5
Wampler Tweed '57
Timmy
TC Spark, large pedal vs. micro
Hartman LM 308 (rat clone), Mooer/Donner Micro rats
Donner Morpher (Suhr Riot clone)
Most germanium fuzzes, silicon not so much

All with single-coils, most with P-90s, experimenting now with PAFs.

I stack my gain. If I run the Tweed '57, I usually run it last and run it hot. The other tweeds do a better job imo at lower gain/volume settings.

Given the volume constraints that you described, and assuming you need/want tweed, I would recommend a Honey Bee.

If I had to pick one for all-around use I would go with a MO, a Honey Bee, a Foxy Brown, or a Tone Smuggler. [There is no ranked order with those 4.]

The AST Pro is an amazing amp with or without pedals. Enjoy!
Wow...that's some list!!

I think I may try the Tweed '57 with the Timmy and see how that goes. I also spent some time last night with the Fulltone and the Suhr just experimenting. The Suhr is great with my Accomplice, but I'm not sure I like it with this amp yet. The Fulldrive was good but very mid-oriented. However with the treble up it sounded pretty interesting.

Agree - it's a great amp. I am astounded by the ringing clean tone with my Tele. Haven't even tried the Strat or LP yet.

Optimus Rhyme

An Analogman King of Tone (KOT) is a ridiculously good pedal with the AST Pro. They're a bit pricy and hard to find, but well worth it when you do. Try to get one with the higher gain red side.

Flatscan

Silver Supporting Member
One of the things (amongst many) that I love about that amp (and my STR-Trem) is that you can grab 1 pedal (or a very small board) and go. Not only is the amp itself easy to haul around, but also you don't need a lot of pedals.

What never stops surprising me is how specific "best tone" is to each amp and sometimes each amp and guitar.

I don't love the MO with anything but my Swarts. It kills there though.

The clippers in mine are both germanium (Russian D9Es and German OA126s).

The Timmy + Tweed '57 would likely work well. I've never liked the Timmy that much by itself but many do.

daacrusher2001

Silver Supporting Member
One of the things (amongst many) that I love about that amp (and my STR-Trem) is that you can grab 1 pedal (or a very small board) and go. Not only is the amp itself easy to haul around, but also you don't need a lot of pedals.

What never stops surprising me is how specific "best tone" is to each amp and sometimes each amp and guitar.

I don't love the MO with anything but my Swarts. It kills there though.

The clippers in mine are both germanium (Russian D9Es and German OA126s).

The Timmy + Tweed '57 would likely work well. I've never liked the Timmy that much by itself but many do.
I may just start with the '57 - using it with the Timmy and see how it goes. I usually stack the Timmy also, rarely use it by itself.

the_Chris

It's All Been Done Before
Silver Supporting Member
Cornish SS-3 and CC-1 are working pretty well for me through mine.

daacrusher2001

Silver Supporting Member
I decided to try a Mythical OD...coming this week. I used the Timmy a lot on Sunday for rehearsal, and it really does sound pretty good for certain things with the AST Pro. I didn't like the Suhr Shiba as much with this amp when I clicked it on this past weekend. Stuck with the Timmy mostly, and the Fulldrive2.

OaklandA

Gold Supporting Member
For mine I like the Mythical OD and the Swart Atomic Boost. Both are great but different. For some reason I'm not as enamored with the Timmy and this amp. I'd be surprised if the Mythical OD didn't blow you away.

daacrusher2001

Silver Supporting Member
OK, the MO came today - only got about 10 minutes with it but it's a winner with the Swart. Wow...really adds some punch without having to crank the amp, but retains the tone. I'll A/B with the Timmy over the weekend - I don't recall the Timmy giving this amp this kind of punch, clarity, thickness...what's amazing is I don't hear any difference in tone if I keep the gain at 9:00 or lower - other than the volume boost, it's super transparent

I love the gain on this pedal - I was using a Suhr T into the MO. It sustains and gives me a nice compressed punch for some a blues boogie and some overdriven rock.

Mullenski

Have a 6V6SE and STR. ARC Klone and Fulldrive are great. BB Preamp, also. These amps love pedals!

daacrusher2001

Silver Supporting Member
Have a 6V6SE and STR. ARC Klone and Fulldrive are great. BB Preamp, also. These amps love pedals!
I also have the Fulldrive...I use it a lot with this amp and more with my Accomplice - it's just a good pedal.

Yesterday, for fun, I compared the MO to the Timmy...I can get them sounding similar but the MO seems to have a lot more output while remaining transparently clean. The Timmy's gain is a bit different too, and I think it has more gain on tap. The gain on the MO seems to somehow thicken up the sound and provide some real punch while not adding too much color. So far I like it

Anyone stacking a MO and Timmy? Which do you like first in the stack?

Trending Topics