Swart AST vs. Headstrong Lil' King

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by duaneallen, Dec 24, 2009.

1. duaneallen

duaneallen Supporting Member

Anyone compare these two? I have the Lil' King and really like it. I just played an AST and was blown away. I love the break up and the tighter low end. Anyone compare these amps back to back? Thanks.

2. Songman

Songman Member

I have such a big GAS for AST right now it's not even funny.:thud

3. Simon Gee

Simon Gee Member

Songman, aren't you the Metropolitan guy who used to have an AST? If, I'm right, whats up with that? a grass-is-greener thing?

My AST should be turning up in a week or 2 I think. Can't wait. My first 'good' amp ever. it might have a night light with it too, if I make it up the waiting list in time for shipping.

cheers

4. Songman

Songman Member

What you are describing is a symptom. A symtom many of us on this forum suffers from and that we call GAS my friend. Welcome to the forum!

Please understand that before Metropolitan or Swart, I am a gear addict. Also if I remember correctly, I don't recall my self dissing Swart in favor of Metro. I recall how much I missed Swart even when I had my Metro.

However if you want me to say it, I will say it. The Metropolitan is still the best amp I have ever played and that includes your Swart. There are only two things that Swart AST have it going over Metropolitan and that to ME is price and rounder tone in clean department. If price was not an issue and i wanted glorious clean to cut thru, you bet i will pick Metro over Swart any day of the week. I truly believe that Metro is King of Gigging amp and when I ever gig in regular basis, I will be looking to get the Metro.

5. Simon Gee

Simon Gee Member

yeh, yeh , I know you didn't diss the swart. Cool that you're so happy with your new amp. They did look and sound great on their website. out of my league though.

6. goodandswarty

goodandswarty Member

i've got a swart mkii head an cab and could never see myself parting with it. can't find anything that even comes close to those dimensional, round cleans you get. i'm planning on ordering a metro today since i'm in baltimore for the holidays.... i'm hoping it's gonna be good. thanks for your informative reviews.... i'm generally sane and don't typically order stuff that i've never heard live. especially when it costs 3 grand.

7. sublimeaudio

sublimeaudio Silver Supporting Member

I own an AST MKII and have played a Lil King before. I think they are quite different - the Lil King being very similar to a Fender Princeton and the Swart more of a tweed sounding amp. The Swart has LOADS of personality, but if you are looking for pure cleans, it's not the amp for you unless you play at low volumes. I love my Swart, but I also have other amps for the clean sound.

8. Simon Gee

Simon Gee Member

goodandswarty. Excellent name!

9. goodandswarty

goodandswarty Member

thanks simon. i had to laugh....when i plugged my strat with lollar pickups into the swart, the first words to come out of my mouth were "holy crap...that's so good and swarty".

10. dorfmeister

dorfmeister Member

Bump for more thoughts on similarities and differences between these.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2010