Swart Atomic Space Tone Amp MP3 clip

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Greg V., Sep 25, 2005.

1. Greg V.

Greg V. Member

This thread was originally in the MP3 forum:

I was talkin' with Stu at Fatsound Guitars and he mentioned this Swart amp to me, saying it might be right for hands, what's a Swart? I said. So I come to The Gear Page and see folks giving the thumbs up on this new amp hmmmmmm.... I was able to sit down and play one and did a test recording of the amp.

Swart Atomic Space Tone MP3

I used the Swart amp for all the instruments, close miced SM57: Fender Bajo Sexto baritone, Fender Nocaster and TEO Mandoguitar and only the amps reverb and tremolo.

I'm diggin the feel and dynamic response, pretty swampy not too tight or too loose either. Reverb has a real nice, long trail to it when goosed and the single tone control is in the sweet spot for me. I love Blackface and Tweed amps and the Swart is tonally comfortable to me with a different mid-voice and stays tighter than say a tweed deluxe would when pushed. Powerful and sweetly voiced to cut through a mix and it looks too cool for school. I'm gonna down size my rig and 10-20 watters are my future I think, so the Swart may be perfect in size, watts, wicked tremolo and reverb.

2. Roe

Roe Member

sound great

3. m1911

m1911 Member

Nice Demo....
    I like hearing slower stuff like this for sound-clips....more space to hear the notes. I heard the guys at FatSound demoing one a month ago there. The thing really rips too.
    Thanks!

4. Matt Gordon

Matt Gordon Senior Member

Thick as molasses! Lovely! :dude

5. Stephen J

Stephen J Supporting Member

Great clip- The Atomic Space Tone will certainly be the topic of more discussion here as Michael Swart and Stu get them out. I'd love to hear the thoughts on the AST from those players who have had the opportunity to play a number of different amps that are out there. As for me- search over.

6. lv

lv Supporting Member

Greg, when I had the test amp I thought of you and how perfect the amp would be for your style. Now please come out with another CD!

7. tonedaddy

tonedaddy Member

I am here as you are here as you are me and we are
    Haunting and beautiful clip that really shows some range of the amp. And as always, inspiring music, Greg!

8. procos

procos Supporting Member

In the Grouse woods or on the golf course
    Greg,
    Congrats on the write up you got in Guitar One magazine. It was very complimentary. Keep up writing great music.

PEACE,

Chuck

9. Greg V.

Greg V. Member

Thanks to everyone! Glad you guys dig the Swart tones, really cool viby amp...

Hi Lou V,
    You're so right, it fits my hands pretty well. So many great new amps around... I'm trying to get lively, fat tone without tearing my head off. Colin Cripps w/ Kathleen Edwards gets huge, grinding tone from a FilmOsound amp that must be 10-20 watts maybe. I think the Swart has that direction, big tone and nobody gets hurt :)

Hi Steelbender,

Jason, wonderful website and clips you've done!! Super great playing/recording and articulate thoughts about gear, also your website has a ton of info! That takes alot of effort, well done.

10. TNJ

TNJ Gold Supporting Member

Nice Greg...!
    Love that tone, in your hands.
    Haunting tune, and the amp/guitar/player come together nicely in a very moving way.
    S.
    j

11. Rockin J

Rockin J Member

The clips of this amp sound great. Are the rear mounted control's hard to live with?

12. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

Take me away man.... your music is always a ride. Cruise on Mr. V. :D

13. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Member

Killer Greg!!! Great vibe. That amp seems really cool, like the small amp I've always been looking for. Do you think it's loud enough to gig with it at all?

14. 908SSP

908SSP Supporting Member

Greg I really like that music....amp sounded pretty good too. It sounded like you liked what you heard that comes through in the music. It is important that "you" like the sound when you play it because the music and your playing will reflect that, there is a sense of joy in the playing even if the feel of the music is blue. Do you have a CD?

15. Greg V.

Greg V. Member

Many thanks again to all. Cool!

Hi Splatt! Thanks, Blue is fun except when I'm feeling orange! Plaid is the tuffest :)

Hi Rockin J,
    The amp has just a few controls, 5 knobs, two switches. Easy to set and then leave alone, also this amp sounds great from behind as well since it's open backed and then some. So one could set the amp to face backwards onstage if needed and it still sounds great. For travelling the controls protrude a little but I'm used to laying amps face-down while transporting and if you use a road case all should be fine.

Hi Guitarzan,
    Thanks! Loud "enough" is hard to say, so many factors, but playing with a drummer who uses dynamics I think the Swart would be cool for my needs.

Hi 908SSP,
    Thanks! Alex, I always need the tone to "feel" right or the part will not be conveyed properly.... yes I do have a CD at my link, thanks for your interest...

16. Stu/Fat Sound

Stu/Fat Sound Member

Wow....that's a nice surprise for a Monday morning. My DSL service was down at home all weekend so I come in to work this a.m., hit TGP and see this post. Great clip Greg.....thanks!!!

Someone asked about the honeymoon period with the Swart a week or so a go.....I've had mine for about 3 months now and I am still totally in love with it. It's the kind of amp that makes you want to play all day and makes you want to record!!

Inspirational....and that's just what I need most days.

Thanks again Greg! I'm sure Michael Swart will be beside himself when I email him a link to this thread!

Steelbender:
    So far Michael has been doing a remarkable job on keeping up with demand. he has been completing and delivering about 6 amps every two weeks. This has kept lead times down to about 5-6 weeks total.

17. Ogre

Ogre Member

Beautifully done, Greg!

18. catherinef

catherinef Member

Greg,

As usual your demos kill! By the way, which issue of Guitar One are you featured in? It's nice to see you getting the recognition you so deserve.

All the best to you, man.

19. Stu/Fat Sound

Stu/Fat Sound Member

Funny...now that you mention it...I bought a car in late February this year. I received a "birth certificate" in the mail a few weeks later and discovered the car was completed Christmas Eve......that can't be good!!!! :eek:

20. jmcerlain

jmcerlain Member

Who is this Greg V. fellow? :D

Very nice as usual my friend. Hey Stu, I love my Swart and will get you some clips soon.

Jeff