Swart Atomic Space Tone Arrived and.....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by RMcFarland, Dec 2, 2005.

1. RMcFarland

RMcFarland Supporting Member

It is a fine piece......craftsmenship is top notch......

I took it straight to rehearsal last night. The thing sounds incredible, but I don't think its my sound.

Has anyone ever been so into a piece of gear based on features....such as size, wattage......reverb, trem.....but just not been able to jive with it?

I usually gig with my blackface princeton reverb....it feels like home....any fender amp does really....I plugged into my twin at rehearsal, back and forth between the swart....The twin just has that bell-like fender clean......takes pedals,, and cuts through......the swart was beautiful, more harmonically complex, but just didnt "feel" right for me and my tele. I ended up playing the twin more......

hmmmmm, great amp I really want to love.......I see why people do...just not sure how long its going to stick around.....

2. Blueser

Blueser Member

Well....When compared to a Twin, the two are so different, that I can see why you wouldn't jive with the Swart if you were accustomed to the Twin. Just a matter of different horses for different courses.

Its not like you'll have a hard time getting your $$$ back out of it. I am sure there is still a pretty lengthy list to buy one.

Enjoy,
    B

3. RMcFarland

RMcFarland Supporting Member

I understand.....I mostly play live with a princeton reverb......sort of a more apple to apple......I think it is just the under the finger feel...and the trademark fender clean that I cant shake.......I really do wish the Swart was something I could work with, it's beautiful and has an extremely complex tone........fascinating.....I mean those are characteristics I should like??/

4. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster Member

I dunno - did you marry the girl your mom wanted you to date in high school? :)

Not every amp is for every body. I traded an amp that didn't do anything for me to a TGP brother in return for an amp that didn't do anything for him, and we're both happy as pigs in Nebraska with what we ended up with.

I'm eagerly awaiting my Swart AST, and who knows - I might feel the same as you. Or I might hear the angels singing (like I kind of expect to).

5. CNP

CNP Member

I have a Swart AST, and it took me a little while to bond with it. My absolute favorite amp now. At first I didn't quite know what to make of it-- not like my blackface type amps, not exactly like my tweeds. It's its own thing, which threw me off a bit at first. When I stopped trying to cop or expect the same tones as my other amps, it just kind of "clicked" that this little beast has its own tone and feel, which I gave myself over to and now wouldn't trade for anything. Just my experience-- YMMV, of course.

6. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

This past week I got a VHT Deliverance 60. Which, based on the fact that I dig VHT amps, got many recommendations from the guys that dig it, loved the clips I have heard, dug the features it has, the way it is setup and more; should have made it a *perfect* fit for me.

I tried for 3 days to make that thing work for me. I swapped tubes, tried every setting I could, rebiased it. Nada. No spark at all for me. It is a brilliant amp, I understand the folks that dig it. But in my hands, it was just too much this and too little that.... so, I sent it back.

Sometimes you just chalk it up to experience.

7. fatback

fatback Member

Been there myself, with amps and guitars. All part of the journey...

8. Dave LaP

Dave LaP Member

We must have very similar tastes because I really appreciated the Swart but sent it back after auditioning it. My next amp was a Lil King-clone of a Princeton Reverb-and have never looked back. I too was looking for those bell like strat tones.

It's not a matter of better this or that-just Blackface vs a Tweed type tone. I thought the Swart might have enough shimmer to sit in both camps a liitle more than it did. I think it's pretty firmly in the tweed camp. You never know till you actually try one though.

9. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

It's funny, I was soooooooooooo tempted by the new AST's, thought real hard about getting one. Instead, I wound up getting (yet another) TopHat, a 2x6V6 Club Deluxe. I have no doubt the AST is a cool amp, but jeeze, this new TopHat is just killin' me, I like it so much!!

So I wanted to say 'thanks' to Mr. Swart for inspiring me to get the TopHat.

(strange post, eh?)

10. * velcro-fly *

* velcro-fly * Member

:D

Lets just say I'm really looking forward to the return of my Aiken Intruder next week, running it A/B with my Hayseed 30 for cleans - and getting back to the bizness of playing guitar and not gear jonesing....

Steve E

11. Crazyquilt

Crazyquilt Guitar Dad Silver Supporting Member

I sold my Carr Rambler to get the Swart (which is due this week.) Based on what I wanted, I felt the Carr would be perfect for me. And I love my Carr Mercury, so I know I like Carr amps. But it just didn't do it for me. I can't even really explain it. I had a guy, another TGPer, actually, over to take a look at my Princeton Reverb & do some maintenance, and we plugged in the Rambler, because he was curious about them. He felt my PR smoked the Carr.

But, the guy who bought the Rambler is overjoyed ... which makes me overjoyed, because the TGPer I bought it from really loved the amp. But it just wasn't for me.

I hope to heck that the Swart is more to my taste. I've been playing less perfectly clean of late, and so I'm hopeful. And it's got that PR type bias trem I really dig ... but we'll see.

If it works, it works, and if not, off with its head, says I!

12. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

That's the spirit!!! :D

13. Crazyquilt

Crazyquilt Guitar Dad Silver Supporting Member

It works. It drop-shipped from the Swart compound on Monday, got here yesterday.

Oh, dear sweet Leo, it works. I'm still getting to know it, but, so far, it's exactly what I hoped it would be, and exactly the tone I was looking for. If I still feel this good after the honeymoon's over, my amp quest is over.

But, still -- I'm not the OP. Different strokes, &c.

14. Stephen J

Stephen J Member

Enjoy that amp- I let a Rambler and a TopHat Club Royale go and the Swart has proven to be a great amp for me. No pedals- no looking back. Steve