Swart Atomic Space Tone MP3 fun!

Discussion in 'Member Video and Sound Clips' started by Greg V., Sep 25, 2005.

1. Greg V.

Greg V. Member

This thread has been moved to Amp Forum:

I was talkin' with Stu at Fatsound Guitars and he mentioned this Swart amp to me, saying it might be right for hands, what's a Swart? I said. So I come to The Gear Page and see folks giving the thumbs up on this new amp hmmmmmm.... I was able to sit down and play one and did a test recording of the amp.

Swart Atomic Space Tone MP3

I used the Swart amp for all the instruments, close miced SM57: Fender Bajo Sexto baritone, Fender Nocaster and TEO Mandoguitar and only the amps reverb and tremolo.

I'm diggin the feel and dynamic response, pretty swampy not too tight or too loose either. Reverb has a real nice, long trail to it when goosed and the single tone control is in the sweet spot for me. I love Blackface and Tweed amps and the Swart is tonally comfortable to me with a different mid-voice and stays tighter than say a tweed deluxe would when pushed. Powerful and sweetly voiced to cut through a mix and it looks too cool for school. I'm gonna down size my rig and 10-20 watters are my future I think, so the Swart may be perfect in size, watts, wicked tremolo and reverb.

2. Berlin Chris

Berlin Chris Member

Wow, that sounds great in your hands / with your hands. Just the right amount of cut withoout being too raspy. Impressive touch sensitivity too... :)

3. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

Yes! Man. Damn. Good!

In your fanboy club. Killer GregV. Killer.

4. hdiddy

hdiddy Supporting Member

Great another piece of gear I have to get because Greg makes it sound AWESOME
    I think because of Greg every freakin Gretsch Corvette that shows up on ebay goes for more than $200 because Greg used it

5. mike@switchback

mike@switchback Member

Well damn, that's weird. I didn't like any of the individual tones in that clip. Yet, that was one of the best clips I've EVER heard and I've listened to it about 6 times now.

6. scottl

scottl Member

Another loyal fanboy club member!! Amazing vibe and incredible musicallity Greg!

Scott

7. mlynn02

mlynn02 Member

i may agree with that...and to me, that's the mark of a steller musician. haunting and beautiful. i don't think it would matter at this point what amp you plugged into, just hit record and please post it here on the forum! thanks for that clip...

8. Myron Stratis

Myron Stratis Supporting Member

Amazing music piece... Loved it!

9. tedm

tedm Gold Supporting Member

Greg,

That is an amazingly layered slow tune with great dynamics.

I have a question about your playing, a lot of your stuff sounds free-form, and I'm wondering if you are counting, or just playing when it sounds like it's the right time to play??

10. Greg V.

Greg V. Member

To All,
    Thanks for all the good words!, as I was recording I realized how easy it was it to get a variety of tones super quickly and even easier to just throw up a mic to capture the tones.

Hi Hdiddy,
    Corvettes are great guitars huh! At least they're still cheaper than early-mid '60's Chevy Corvettes!

Hi Tedm,
    Thanks, you're right it's a very free-form approach... On this piece and many of my jams, no click or counting at all... I started with the Baritone to set the mood and then layered the Tele and Mandoguitar trying to leave space for a bit of interplay.

11. unix-guy

unix-guy Member

Hey Greg,

nice stuff. Very emotive... I was just reading one of my guitar mags last night which had a little profile on you. Keep the tunes coming!

Kevin

12. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster Member

Greg - you continue to be one of my all-time favorite musicians. Will ya just hurry up and make another CD? Pleeeeeeease?

And I actually liked every tone on that clip. And I like your stuff for the 65 London as well.

13. mike@switchback

mike@switchback Member

Yes, that's it. I was expecting an amp clip and it was a cool piece of music. The tone was irrelevant at that point. Loved it.

14. Greg V.

Greg V. Member

Thanks very much to everyone! :)

15. Marcello

Marcello Member

fantastic, loved it Greg !

16. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

That was wonderful - lovely tones, writing, phrasing, vibrato, musicality, etc, etc, etc...

17. trisonic

trisonic Member

Very musical. I forgot I was supposed to be checking out a new amp......

Thanks, Pete.

18. marinblues

marinblues Member

Nice playing and overall mood of the tune.

19. Drunkagain

Drunkagain Member

Damn, that clip just kills.

Can't wait for the next cd man.

20. Greg V.

Greg V. Member

Thank you, but to be honest if I plug into a rig I don't feel comfortable on, I can't play with any real expression. Sure I can play the notes and get by but I don't get "inside the note" and that's what the Swart allowed me to do: Play with my heart... Every instrument that I plugged into the Swart rocked! and had it's own identity.

I just threw this clip together with no extra EQ added, only the single tone control on the Swart was used and it was great to hear such an array of tones come from the speaker and the seperation of the three instruments is evident. To me, this is a hallmark of a GREAT amp, it lets the instrument breath effortlessly so you can hear/feel the "wood pulp" of the guitar and exposes the soul of the player. Lots of good amps around for sure but to me many have this faint "intangible haze" that prevents me from tapping deeper into the well...