swart customer service

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Ed K, Jul 15, 2019.

1. Ed K

Ed K Member

I recently bought a new Swart Antares--love the amp. Good thing, because my experience with their customer service was awful. Judge for yourself, ymmv.
    Within a week the amp died. Contacted them and the tech said it needed a 2A IEC fuse; it came with a 1A and 1A spare. I spoke to Michael Swart and he said the tech is wrong, it should be a 1A IEC. The literature that came with the amp listed a 1A fuse; the website lists a 2A fuse. The tech said I should "probably be all right." I put the spare in and took the amp to a gig--it died. The tech said I "might" have a 1A in the IEC, but asked if I accidentally put the wrong fuse in.
    I told him I couldn't find the fuse locally and asked that they send me some replacements. Long story short, I found an amp tech in Chicago who gave me replacement fuses. 2 1/2 weeks after I told Swart about the problem and asked them to send me fuses, I got replacements in the mail. Any smart company would have sent .50 fuses after the first email-- and apologized rather than arguing with me.

C-4 likes this.
  2. Shnook

Shnook Member

In case you didn’t know, Michael’s wife died not too terribly long ago. She did a lot to help him with stuff so maybe just maybe things aren’t 100% at Swart right now.

And a even smarter person would post this in the amp section not the guitar section of this forum.

3. Flatscan

Flatscan Supporting Member

I love it when people post from their old Smurf account.

3 posts since 2007 and you complain about a highly-regarded builder with a well-established service record?

Shenanigans

Edit: when I bought my STR-Trem years ago, I received a Tweed from the Dealer. Michael was prepared to do whatever it took to make it right. Happily, the dealer came through.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
  4. thesjkexperienc

thesjkexperienc ^^^ I made this guitar^^^ Supporting Member

I had not heard about Michael’s wife.

I’ve had a couple of troubles that were bigger than fuses that Swart took care of without question or cost.

To the OP, Swart sells fuses and other parts that wear out on their site. Maybe expecting tubes, speakers, fuses to be free for you is really your problem not Swarts.

5. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

Living In The Palace Of The King, Big D of DFW
    Was wondering the same thing.

To the OP: Did you buy the amp new or second hand?

6. Jules6120

Jules6120 Member

I have had nothing but exceptional customer service from Swart over 10 years. Including posting stuff to Australia for free.

Posting publicly on here about 'a fuse problem' and slagging a great company... lame.

Rob Taft, Flatscan, jazzsnds and 3 others like this.
  7. Crowey

Crowey Member

Same as Jules6120, I found folk at Swart to be nothing but helpful - and I too am an Aussie

Oh, and to be honest, whilst I'd be really chuffed if they sent some out to me; but I'd never expect any amp company to send me a replacement fuse no matter how new or old the amp.

Jules6120 likes this.
  8. s360guitarist

s360guitarist Silver Supporting Member

Any smart amp owner would have done anything and everything they could on their own (fuses, tubes, cab rattle, scratchy pots, etc.) to troubleshoot the gear they are playing before reaching out to a company asking for something. (Sorry, that is just my snarky snide coming out.) Now that said, in respect to the OP, every customer wants to be treated fairly.

I cannot speak to the OP's situation but to say that I do not share the same experience as the OP in regards to service from Swart. I bought my AST Pro used and believed there to be an issue with the trem. Kelly at Swart worked with me via email countless times to troubleshoot things, even once or twice over the weekend. Finally, he asked me to send the amp in. They looked at the trem, and even updated the amp to current spec before shipping it back. I even received a personal call from Michael to give me the update before they shipped it back.

You read a lot about some companies here with repeated issues regarding customer service...you just won't read it about Swart. Sorry the OP had a bad experience, but guessing this is not too common.

Flatscan likes this.
  9. Blue-moon

Blue-moon Supporting Member

I don’t want to diminish the OP’s issue, but I too have had nothing but great customer service from Swart. They have been great to me on at least two different occasions...one was a shipping issue from a dealer and the other an amp issue.

10. shallbe

shallbe Deputy Plankspanker Gold Supporting Member

I bought my Str Trem used. Had a few questions about tube swaps. Michael called me himself. Nothing but good things to say about the amp or company.

Flatscan likes this.
  11. myke232

myke232 Member

Sounds like they tried to help you. It may have been frustrating for you the way it transpired, but it seems they were trying to help.

12. guitarjazz

guitarjazz Member

Are Swart fuses different than NAPA fuses?

13. aaronblues

aaronblues Supporting Member

Very sorry to hear about Michael's wife.

Kelly from Swart was very helpful with an issue i had with a used AST, back about a decade. Service and communication could not have been better.
    I've always gotten good vibes from Swart as a company. Have owned 4 different amps from them. Wish I liked the AST tone a tiny bit more, because I love the company aesthetic and would like to support them. Could still see picking up another one day if I stumble into wealth....

Cheers

s360guitarist likes this.
  14. hangten

hangten Silver Supporting Member

I’ve owned a couple of swarts, currently an sst-30, and have had nothing but GREAT customer service, mainly from Kelly but also Michael. I only sold my first one because of a financial pinch, and was beyond stoked to get a good deal on a used SST-30. I had several questions about it which kelly answered quickly and in detail.

Incredible amps and seems like a well-run small business to me.

15. Senor Forum

Senor Forum Gold Supporting Member

I can feel the regret in this post.

Flatscan likes this.
  16. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

Living In The Palace Of The King, Big D of DFW
    Regret is useless without making it right and deleting the post/thread.

Flatscan and Peppy like this.
  17. Senor Forum

Senor Forum Gold Supporting Member

Agreed. The idea of coming here with 3 total posts over almost 12 years just to slam one of the better amp builders in the world... I can't get me head 'round it.

Flatscan and Guitar Dave T like this.
  18. lestera34

lestera34 Supporting Member

This thread makes me want to buy a Swart.

Seriously OP? Delete this toilet fire of a thread. It’s ******.

Jules6120, Deus56, Flatscan and 2 others like this.