Swart experiment on a quiet Sunday

goodandswarty

Since i had nothing to do today, i figured i would do a little tube swap in the Swart MKII. I have a set of Tung Sol 6V6's, EH 6L6's and Svetlana EL34's.
After a day of swapping between a tele, a strat and a Les Paul, my results were surprising to me.

My least favorite tubes ended up being the 6L6's... to my ears they were definitely louder with more low end, but had the least amount of tonal character. I do like how they stay together when driven...

The El34's had noticeably less low end, moderate volume boost... broke up early, but definitely gave a great, mid/bright blast. I felt that the Les Paul likes EL34's the most. I was really surprised how much fun I had playing these tubes.... i loved how they completely changed the character of the Swart.

The 6V6's.... well, they're 6V6's. Best clean tones, least volume, nice compromise of low end... to me, the most organic and dimensional. But unfortunately, my Les Paul is kinda murky with them... what a drag.

Summary.... it was great to have so many alternatives. Each tube set definitely had it's place and one would be smart to bring them along for a gig or recording session. Talk about three amps in one...

aaronblues

Silver Supporting Member
i used to do a lot of tube swapping in my AST, before i traded it off. Really the first amp i fiddled with as far speaker/tube combos, and i enjoyed exploring the differences.
(oh yeah, liked it best with a 5y3 out of my SF champ in the rec spot, NOS RCA's in the 6v6 spots...)

Sold mine awhile back, but found a STR tweed in a GC the other day that i really loved. Reminded me all about the immediate presence that i enjoyed with the AST. Want another.....damn.....

cheers

goodandswarty

i used to do a lot of tube swapping in my AST, before i traded it off. Really the first amp i fiddled with as far speaker/tube combos, and i enjoyed exploring the differences.
(oh yeah, liked it best with a 5y3 out of my SF champ in the rec spot, NOS RCA's in the 6v6 spots...)

Sold mine awhile back, but found a STR tweed in a GC the other day that i really loved. Reminded me all about the immediate presence that i enjoyed with the AST. Want another.....damn.....

cheers
thanks to a simple design, it's so easy and worth while to do some investigating with tube swapping. i was blown away with the sound of El34's in that thing.... that immediate KEEERRRRAANNNGG! sound...never would've that tube an option until today. definitely keeping the set handy for a recording session or a gig where you really need to cut though the mix.

Trending Topics