Swart Fuzzy Boost!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Gretsch47, Feb 27, 2012.

1. Gretsch47

Gretsch47 Member

I've been playing with this pedal quite a bit lately and it's a keeper. So many fuzzes seem to sound thin to my ears, or may have but one sweet spot, not this pedal. It seems to add a bit of bottom and keeps the mids and cuts through the mix much better than most. It's not an over the top type fuzz, it won't spit or get that velcro type fuzz sound (which I really like too) but the range of this pedal is really something else. From a nice natural boost to warm overdrive to fuzzy lead tones it's a Swiss Army knife type pedal that compliments my typically overdriven Swart (STR-Tweed) amp perfectly. I keep the pedals input and output level knobs each set at about 2:00 and like most other fuzzes, the fuzz knob is near max and use the guitar volume knob for everything, it cleans up better than any other fuzz I've ever used that way. It can sound a little bottom heavy with the fuzz and guitar volume at max but back off the guitar volume just a bit for singing fuzz leads, a bit more for crunchy overdrive or a lot for a warm boost and everything in between. I like it because it's a good fuzz for both rhythm (chords) or single note leads. I should have never sold my (Swart) Atomic Boost (treble booster) as I'm certain the two stacked would be incredible sounding.

It's built like a tank, no goop or BS just a perfect build. No A.C input (batteries only) Michael Swart is a purist that way but I'm using a PedalPower battery clip with mine instead of batteries and haven't noticed any added noise that way. I did cut a small groove in the enclosure to accommodate the battery clip cable as I hate to plug and unplug pedals on my board and I don't plan on selling or trading this one anytime soon ;).

...my two bits (no affiliation at all, just a very happy customer).

2. ruger9

ruger9 Supporting Member

Good to hear it's not a spitty/zipper/velcro fuzz... I HATE those. So would this be in the Fuzz Face camp, or maybe the Tonebender MkII camp? (thick, middy, smooth, hairy)

I recently got a Retro-Channel The Fuzz (a MkII sound-alike) that sounds very impressive, cleans up amazingly well, and I used to own (actually just bought another one on ebay 5 min ago) a Keeley Fuzz Head (more in the Fuzz Face camp), because I remember how much I loved that one. The demos on the Swart site are good, but don't reveal alot about the pedal like a PGS or Burgerman demo does.

3. Gretsch47

Gretsch47 Member

I would say it's more in the Keeley Fuzz Head camp only in that it has more bottom end and mids (like the Keeley) although it's more versatile than the Keeley Fuzz Head and much easier to dial in. The Keeley was more dependent on the amp being overdriven and sounded flat with a cleaner amp. The Ge/Si switch was ridiculous in that it did absolutely nothing imho. The Swart Fuzzy Boost sounds excellent with both HB's and SC guitars and clean and dirty amps....it's not as fickle, better designed and sounds better, if that helps.