Swart Space Tone

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by gmanrickyt, Jun 29, 2005.

1. gmanrickyt

gmanrickyt Member

I'll admit I'm a boutique amp kinda guy. I play Matchless but love Z's, Bogners, TopHats and have owned quite a few of those. But I had a chance to hear an amazing 20-watt amp the other day that offered up not just a variation on an EL34 tone, but something fairly unique.

The Swart Space Tone amp is equally adept at pounding out Neil Young chord riffs, ZZ Top style leads, and, with just a little tweak of the guitar volume knob, it's Dire Straits clean tone. Just amazing richness and definition to the tone whether strumming all six strings or plucking just a single note.

Not only does it sound wonderful, but the cosmetics have this really cool retro look of tweed and oxblood. Very clean design with the controls built into the back of the amp.

Hopefullly, someone will post some clips of this amp.

Rick

2. tonedaddy

tonedaddy Member

I am here as you are here as you are me and we are
    That sounds like a good idea for Michael Swart!
    :)

They look like cool amps, I'd like to hear one, too.
    Here's a link for folks that haven't checked them out yet:
    http://swartamps.com/home.htm

3. Stu/Fat Sound

Stu/Fat Sound Member

Michael Swart and I are working on clips now. I hope to have a few posted sometime next week.

4. fatback

fatback Member

I just saw some on the Fatsoundguitars web site and was curious about them. I trust Stu's ears and would love to hear one.

5. procos

procos Supporting Member

In the Grouse woods or on the golf course
    I should have one in a week or so and when I get it I'll ask Les if I can bring it by his studio and record some clips. I'll also let you guys know what I think when I get it. But clips are much more valuable than this man's opinion.

Chuck

6. Stu/Fat Sound

Stu/Fat Sound Member

Hey gmanrickyt....that was a 6V6 amp you heard at my shop the other day...just to clarify. :)

Hard to believe huh?

You can *feel* the 6V6 thang with the Atomic Space Tone and it offers a great 6v6 clean sound at lower volumes, but when the amp is pushed to break up it sounds for all the world like a British valved piece.

7. gmanrickyt

gmanrickyt Member

That's what I meant:) I've got the Speedster 6V6 amp, but it doesn't sound anything like the Space Tone. The Space Tone really does have more of that British style EL34 tone at volume.

Rick

8. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

Stu,

You're killing me...another cool amp, yikes!! Once I get the London and the Germino I have on order, I may have to give the Swarts a try.

I hope I can stay on your sofa once my wife...

9. Stu/Fat Sound

Stu/Fat Sound Member

G......You can crash at my place anytime!

10. Dave LaP

Dave LaP Member

Anybody know how the volume/headroom compares to the London? Stu?

Thanks.

11. Stu/Fat Sound

Stu/Fat Sound Member

Hey Dave,
    The Atomic is not nearly as loud as the *stock* London 18. Even plugged in to the London's cab the Atomic has a bit lower volume point of breakup. This is by design of course. Michael Swart wanted an amp that would work really well in the studio and around the house, but that could also be used for certain styles of music in smaller clubs.

Unless otherwise specified 65 Amps builds the London for max volume for its wattage. They achieve this with specially selected/graded tubes and the highest SLP speakers on the market. They are coming from a standpoint/history of primarily building low wattage amps for guys like Peter Stroud who need some stage volume.

Their standard tube set is pretty stout and combined with very lively speakers the London puts out more sound than most amps of comparable wattage. The Swart puts out a bit less sound than amps of comparable wattage.

A London combo with a pair of Greenbacks is not as loud as the stock G12H30/Blue configuration. I really want to play a London through a pair of Heritage 20 watt speakers. I have heard a few Germinos with these speakers lately and they sound great with Greg's amps.

I think players have gotten use to 18-25 watt amps being pretty darn loud, so most players that have plugged in to the Swart have been pleasantly surprised at how useable the volume is.

We are working on sound clips today and I should be able to get around to posting them early next week.

12. Dave LaP

Dave LaP Member

Sounds great. Thanks Stu. I'll be in touch sometime in the future, no doubt.

13. Dave LaP

Dave LaP Member

Clips better than opinions? I don't know about that. I definetly would like to know what you think Chuck. thanks.