Swart SST-30 vs. ST-45

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by duaneallen, Jan 27, 2015.

1. duaneallen

duaneallen Supporting Member

Anyone ever compare these two amps? I'm losing sleep over the ST-45. My #1 amp the last few years has been the AST. I love everything about it. I would love to have that same sound in a louder, 40 watt package, for the gigs that require the volume. I've played the SST-30 and thought that it would do the trick, but for some reason, didn't really dig it. How similar is the ST-45 to the AST? Is the 45 just a 6L6 version of the SST-30? I'm only asking because, of course, there's none around me.

2. duaneallen

3. pale fire

pale fire Supporting Member

Hey Duane - I know you saw my previous posts about the ST-45....just want to say that it is still my #1 amp (and it has some tough competition). I never tried an SST-30 but I listened to all the clips and read about it and I think they are a little different...and it is not just the 6L6 tubes...more tonal control + 3 way voicing switch on the 45. Plus the convertible top is pretty great.

4. duaneallen

Wanted to revive this thread. Anyone ever compare these two amps? I have the ST45, and still the AST. I really want a higher wattage AST. The ST-45 is fantastic, but has its own thing going on. Is the SST-30 closer in sound to the AST?

5. ROKY

ROKY Member

I wonder if Swart would do a custom build for you to meet your particular need ?

Have you thought of asking ?

6. rollyfoster

rollyfoster Supporting Member

It may be in the ballpark but both the 30 and 45 have the master volume circuitry which adds another preamp tube so neither will sound exactly like an AST. Even the AST MKII master sounds a little different because of this.

Do you need a louder amp than the AST or just more headroom? I'm not sure how much "louder" the 30 would be than the 20 watt AST.

You could always try a more efficient speaker or 6L6 in it and see if that helps.

7. mrwhipple

mrwhipple Supporting Member

i haven't tried the ST45, but the SST30 sounded different than any of the other Swart amps. it was definitely darker sounding. the drive has a nice gooey grind to it, very smooth. a sound all it's own. nice tones, but it did seem to not have a lot of headroom when cranked.

8. django49

django49 Member

Still loving the SST, esp since upgrading the 12s to Alnico Creams from the Greenbacks. Def sounds much bigger than the AST. Many, including me, think the smaller cabinet on the AST does make the sound "boxier". Adding the 3 way switch to the SST would likely be an improvement.

mrwhipple likes this.