Swart SST PSA

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by decay-o-caster, Feb 16, 2008.

1. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster Member

SST PSA

As a public service, because I am nothing if not public spirited, I have whipped together a Swart SST demo for y'all. If you want to hear what the amp can sound like making music, go to the site and listen to the Greg V. clips. But I thought it might be useful to hear the increasing levels of gain this amp can do in a sort of controlled way.

So here's the clip.

Everything is the Swart SST into an AxeTrak into an ART Digital MPA tube pre-amp into an M-Audio ProjectMix I/O board into a MacBook Pro into Ableton Live 7, a little compression added in the software but no other effects.

Panned left is a Chapin Stratahoula on the neck pickup into the amp's low input, gain switch low, vol at 7 (1:00) and master at 11 (5:00 - dimed). That will be constant throughout the clip. In other words, pretty clean, but with a little power tube hair.

Panned right is a Chapin TBird on the bridge pickup, into various settings on the amp -

Time / Setting:
    0:12 - 0:26 / low input, gain switch low, volume on 11 / 5:00 (dimed), master on 11;

0:29 - 1:11 / high input, gain switch low, volume on 7 / 1:00, master on 11;

1:13 - 1:33 / low input, gain switch high, volume on 11, master on 11;

1:36 - 1:57 / high input, gain switch low, volume on 11, master on 11;

1:59 - 2:20 / high input, gain switch high, volume on 11, master on 11 (as gainy as she'll go).

Sorry for the hum (old wiring and a couple of laptops in the "studio"), the abrupt transitions, and the aimless noodle-age.

Hope this is helpful for those of you considering adding one to the stable. It really is a great amp.

2. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

David,

That was cool. I like the sound and thanks for showing the different gain levels.

G

3. voodoochile

voodoochile Supporting Member

yeah very helpful. It is also good to hear a good player (yet human) put in into use. Nice job!

4. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster Member

5. Crazyquilt

Crazyquilt Guitar Dad Silver Supporting Member

Hah! I just dropped you a pm about this amp before I saw this thread. This will be really helpful for me, as I'm trying to choose between getting another AST or moving up to an SST.

6. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster Member

And I just responded before seeing this post! :D

7. cubado

cubado Member

tx ! luv my SST !

8. Sam Evans

Sam Evans Compliance Officer Gold Supporting Member

Wow, that sounds fantastic. That Swart stuff is intriguing.

SE
    CI

9. Crazyquilt

Crazyquilt Guitar Dad Silver Supporting Member

Sometime this year, Sam, you will have the opportunity to hear one of your guitars through an SST.

I, personally, am really looking forwards to it. Who knows, maybe my second Cardinal will be done around the same time. :dude

10. Treble booster

Treble booster Member

Is there enough clean headroom to play country, or jazz with a drummer?

11. Sam Evans

Sam Evans Compliance Officer Gold Supporting Member

As am I. Crazyquilt Cardinal #2 will be ready sooner than later.

SE
    CI

12. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster Member

Wow - I thought this thread sank without a trace months ago! :)

Treble B - the amp gets into "hair" pretty early. Maybe jazz with a drummer, but I'd say you'd be pushing it. But I also like a little warmth with my jazz. It's not much about clear chimy cleans - it's about tweedy breakup, sez me at least, so what I think of as country playing in a band context might be frustrating for you. YMMV, IMHO, etc.

13. TDJMB

TDJMB Gold Supporting Member

Mr. Dave, demo'ing with killer Chapins is unfair. Let's hear it with normal guitars!

14. Heinz W

Heinz W Genuine '66 Relic Gold Supporting Member

Doesn't matter. My '62 Silvertone with a single lipstick pup sounds really nice throught the SST. It would take a real POS guitar to sound bad through this amp.

15. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster Member

JB - don't worry - I ran them through the ToneSuck pedal into the amp to make it a more representative test. ;)

And Heinz W is right - it's difficult to make this amp anything less than yummy.

16. trwigg

trwigg Member

I own an SST as well as a 6V6se and play a host of different guitars through them without ever being dissatisfied, at least with the amp - my playing different story! I noticed the "gain" comments but haven't heard anybody diiscuss the tremelo and reverb being always on at low settings to create a 3D effect, this is what I think is so special about the SST. Thanks guys just my .02.

17. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster Member

Yeah - I never even plug in the foot pedal. I just leave the 'verb on ambient and the trem on slowest-possible-throb and never turn them off.

18. j3yps

j3yps Member

I'll just revive this thread...

I'm planning on purchasing an ART DIGITAL MPA-II preamp and i'm going to connect it to my M-Audio ProjectMix I/O...Is it possible to bypass the pres of the ProjectMix and just use ART DIGITAL MPA-II's pres instead? if ever how am i going to set this up? Thanks!