Swart ST-45 Cab And Speaker Choices

SRQGuitar

Gold Supporting Member
Incoming new amp day! I just ordered a Swart ST-45 head. I really liked the AST but I came across a decent used deal on the 45 and figured that it has a master and the extra headroom couldn't hurt for those rare occasions where my Tone King Imperial won't cut it. My Carr Hammerhead is pretty loud but not really a clean amp.

Now I need to decide on a cab and speaker(s) and because Swart cabs in dark tweed don't show up used too often I'll probably order one through a dealer. This is the Swart price list.

CABINETS 1X12 BV-25..............................................................................Retail-$550 1X12 Anniversary.....................................................................Retail-$606 1X12 Creamback......................................................................Retail-$616 1X12 Heritage UK.....................................................................Retail-$658 1X12 Gold.................................................................................Retail-$747 1X12 Blue.................................................................................Retail-$747 (For lower power amps) 1x12 Dark Creamback……………………………………………………....….Retail-$719 1x12 Dark Gold………………………………………………………………….….Retail-$850 1X12 Unloaded.........................................................................Retail-$500 (Dark Tweed + $100) 2X12 BV-25 or BV30.................................................................Retail-$787 2X12 Creamback......................................................................Retail-$799 2X12 Anniversary.....................................................................Retail-$898 2X12 Gold.................................................................................Retail-$1178 2X12 Blue.................................................................................Retail-$1178 c

I don't think I can afford a $1200 cabinet right now so a 2X12 with Golds' is not an option. I can swing a 1X12 Gold but I think a 2X12 will do this amp justice. Anyone happy with the Creambacks?
Other speaker suggestions? Even though this is supposed to be a great clean amp I rarely need a lot of clean headroom and will probably make liberal use of the master volume. I rarely have gigs with a loud stage and will probably use this a lot at home. I play pretty loud for home playing. No kids, cool neighbors etc. so speaker that are less efficient could work.

I've always used whatever speaker came with my amp so i'm pretty new to the world of choosing speakers. I mostly play Blues, Americana, Classic and Roots Rock type stuff and occasionally use pedals for more modern sounds.

Thanks for any help. And some obligatory stock photos:

rollyfoster

Silver Supporting Member
I have the stock mojo in my AST master and like it. Pretty easy to break up and vintage sounding to my ears. Sounds great with the swart design.

Kelly at Swart is super friendly, too, so you could always email him and pick his brain about the options with that particular amp.

lostpoet2

Silver Supporting Member
I would look for an oversized 1x12 with the Celestion Alnico Cream. I would talk to Avatar or if you want more customized cosmetics, I can personally recommend JDesign. You should end up in the $700 range because of the expensive speaker.

SRQGuitar

Gold Supporting Member
Thanks for the suggestions. I called and spoke to Michael Swart himself just now and he reccomended the Creambacks in the 2X12. Anyone have any experience with the Creambacks versus the Anniversary? The hundred dollar difference doesn't bother me.

SRQGuitar

Gold Supporting Member
Which Creambacks, M or H?

Just curious, where is the reverb tank located?
I'm not sure which Creambacks it ships with. I'll have to find out what the difference would be.

The reverb tank has to be pretty small because it's in there somewhere. I've heard the reverb isn't as strong in the ST-45 as it is in the AST but that will be fine in my case.

duaneallen

Silver Supporting Member
I love my ST-45! I use an old 1x12 Boogie cabinet that has a Creamback in it. The cab sounds great with any head I pair it with!

GUAL

Congrats on a great amp. I got mine about two months ago and play it everyday.
I got as an lightweight alternative to my Bogner Goldfinger, so i have the 1x12 cab from Swart.
But i have tried some others aswell.

Small homemade 1x12 cab with an old vintage 30: not good, the amp is allready bright.
Swart 1x12 cab with BV 25: quite allright, maybe a little dull sounding.
Swart 1x12 cab with alnico cream: much better both clean and drive sounds ( i use this now )
Mojotone 2x10 with greenbacks: great and lightweight way of getting 2 speakers going.
Bogner 2x12 open back cab with english greenbacks: also very good, especialy when loud.
Old Marsahall 4x12 from '76 with greenbacks: amazing big bold and warm.

In general the amp is not fuzzy about speakers as long as they’re not to bright.
( don't think golds will sound that good with this amp ) best speaker for me is the alnico Cream.
But i only have one, and as you talked about - 2 is better. So when i can, i use 2 cabs.
The Swart with alnico Cream and the 2x10 with Greenbacks.

In your situation I would get a 2x12 with Creambacks and maybe later upgrade 1 or 2 speakers to an Cream.
Again congrats, its a great amp, so clear and still warm ( it sounds like i allways wanted BF Fenders to sound )
And i use it like you intend to, gain at 9 and master to taste, for an edge of breakup sound.
Then i hit it with a Skreddy hybrid Fuzz ( best I've found - the amp is a little picky with pedals )

SRQGuitar

Gold Supporting Member
Congrats on a great amp. I got mine about two months ago and play it everyday.
I got as an lightweight alternative to my Bogner Goldfinger, so i have the 1x12 cab from Swart.
But i have tried some others aswell.

Small homemade 1x12 cab with an old vintage 30: not good, the amp is allready bright.
Swart 1x12 cab with BV 25: quite allright, maybe a little dull sounding.
Swart 1x12 cab with alnico cream: much better both clean and drive sounds ( i use this now )
Mojotone 2x10 with greenbacks: great and lightweight way of getting 2 speakers going.
Bogner 2x12 open back cab with english greenbacks: also very good, especialy when loud.
Old Marsahall 4x12 from '76 with greenbacks: amazing big bold and warm.

In general the amp is not fuzzy about speakers as long as they’re not to bright.
( don't think golds will sound that good with this amp ) best speaker for me is the alnico Cream.
But i only have one, and as you talked about - 2 is better. So when i can, i use 2 cabs.
The Swart with alnico Cream and the 2x10 with Greenbacks.

In your situation I would get a 2x12 with Creambacks and maybe later upgrade 1 or 2 speakers to an Cream.
Again congrats, its a great amp, so clear and still warm ( it sounds like i allways wanted BF Fenders to sound )
And i use it like you intend to, gain at 9 and master to taste, for an edge of breakup sound.
Then i hit it with a Skreddy hybrid Fuzz ( best I've found - the amp is a little picky with pedals )
Thanks! That is very helpful. I'm glad to hear someone using that master and gain setup. I'm buying this for louder gigs but I'm sure i'll wind up playing it at home a lot more often.

Last edited:

SRQGuitar

Gold Supporting Member
So I found a 1X12 Swart cab in matching dark tweed with a Creamback G12 H. It was listed as one of a Stereo pair for the ST Stereo but the photos appear to be the same as the cabs for the ST-30 and ST-45.

The ST Stereo is two 5 watt amps so I can't imagine a 75w speaker being used for it. The asking price was $616 which, according to the Swart price list is the MAP for a 1X12 with a Creamback in regular tweed. The same cab in dark tweed is $719.

I messaged the seller to make sure he knew what he was selling and they replied that it was part of a stereo pair and priced correctly. I promptly offered 10% less and it's now on it's way. What should have been $719 was $554 which I'm pretty sure is right about wholesale. I'm tempted to get a second one to make a little Swartstack.

The head arrives tomorrow and hopefully I'll see the cab by the end of the week. I got a great deal on the head as well, so all in all I'm getting myself into a 3K amp for close to 2K. I've been gassing for some sort of Swart for years and I'm pretty darn excited now.

gwtdrago

Rookie post here. I am excited about an 1x12 stone age cab with Celestion alnico creamback 8ohm 90 watt speaker that I recently bought. This combination sounds fantastic with the ST-45. Previously I had tried a Port City OS 1x12 cab with a Celestion alnico gold which had a mid range that was very congested and unfocused. I also find the highs a bit bright on the alnico gold compared to the alnico cream. In fairness to the alnico gold, I have yet to try it in an open back 1x12. I’ve also tried the ST-45 with a Carol Ann oval back 1x12 with a Jenson blackbird speaker. This was my favorite previous combination but the alnico cream back is the sure winner now. Both of these sound good clean, but the alnico cream is better with overdrive. I love it with my Heritage H-535 for blues/blues rock.

duaneallen

Silver Supporting Member
I'm looking for another cab for my ST-45 as well. I have an old, beat up, Boogie that sounds great with a Creamback. I'd like to get a newer Swart cab with the Creamback, but they are going for $719 for a dark tweed one! That seems pretty high for a 1x12 to me. Am I wrong on this? Can I get a comparable cab for less scratch? I'm thinking of getting a newer cab that is in pine, so its a little more resonant sounding, and lighter.

nmkguitar

I highly recommend this amp with the swart 2 x 12 with the creamback M’s. I liked the M’s better than the alnicos with the ST-45. A good alternative if using a 1x12 is an alnico cream - adds more muscle if just using 1 speaker. I have a DR Z convertible - which is a fantastic 1x12. .

django49

My Swart SST came with the stock speakers (2 x 12). It was great as it was, but I swapped out the speakers for a pair of Alnico Creams. MAJOR improvement! Overkill for a 30 watt amp, but I am glad I made the change.

I also shop built a couple pair of stereo cabinets, in the vein of the Swart stereo set up.......Speakers angled outward for great distribution.......One is a 2 x 12, the other a 2 x 10. The higher rated speakers are a good match for those two "little" 5 watt amps!

I would like to test drive the ST-45 some day.

Blue-moon

Gold Supporting Member
Anyone tried a 12 inch Jupiter Alnico 50 Watt vintage American speaker with their Swart ST4S?

Trending Topics