Swart ST45

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by duaneallen, Feb 28, 2015.

1. duaneallen

duaneallen Supporting Member

I just wanted to start a new thread about this amp since its been quiet since the release. How are you guys digging this amp now that you've had it for a bit? Any new owners out there? I'd really love some more demo videos for this amp, only the one on youtube. Thanks for any feedback.

2. Ggroove

Ggroove Member

I'll second that query. There's not much info out there from new users. Some videos would be great! In depth reviews with strengths/weakness. Lets hear about this sexy looking amp!

3. teletone86

teletone86 Member

Someone needs to make some videos!

4. Gallery

Gallery Supporting Member

Sam Vilo did a great video. The guy is an amazing player. My only complaint is that his videos feature a lot of noodling and I find myself wishing he would just play an extended riff or two here or there to let me hear the amp in that context. Otherwise, it really shows off the amps character.

5. pale fire

pale fire Supporting Member

I know I have weighed in on the ST45 in prior posts and am not a new owner.....just want to say that it is still my #1 amp. My band is doing some recording now and in a couple weeks I should have some sound clips of the Swart (in the context of a full band) with a variety of guitars (humbucker, P90, and single coils)

6. Ggroove

Ggroove Member

Yep. You're one of the few people that have posted about your ST-45. Basically sealed the deal for me. (Still saving my $'s.) I look forward to hearing those clips!

7. GA20T

GA20T Member

First "new" amp that's grabbed my attention in a long time, and in large part due to that awesome Vilo demo. Going to have to wait a year or so and see what used prices do. Just passed on a black tweed SST head+cab for $1400 CAD so I have some hope. Would love to hear more samples of this one.

8. porterburst

porterburst Supporting Member

How much more clean compared to the SST-30?

SST-30 is an amazing amp as well. Almost bought one before getting the MKII Master combo that I love.

Wouldn't mind having a SST-30 or ST-45 as well.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2016
  9. GA20T

GA20T Member

I think I shouldn't have passed on it for that price. Could have used it for trade against a future used 45 in hindsight. I asked about the SST here but was scared off by reports of low headroom.

10. pale fire

Porter - I have never played through an SST, but the ST45 has more watts and 6L6 power tubes...and the additional tone controls all add up to more clean headroom for me. And, that is the way I use the amp....the video demo posted is great, but it is pretty different from how I use the ST45.

On one of the tracks I will eventually post, I am playing a Gretsch Roundup (MIJ reissue) with TV Jones Classic pickups. The guitar is hollow (but no f holes), the master volume all the way up on the amp and input volume between 2 and 3 and I was really struck by how big, full, fat, clean, and clear the sound was as I was recording. It is basically the sound I have been chasing all my life; clean and clear but powerful...full and thick but not boomy....ringing but not ice pick

11. porterburst

Is the tone in general on the stiff side?

12. duaneallen

Thanks for the info Pale Fire. I'm looking forward to the sound clips. The video posted is good, but I'd just like to hear some other ones. I'm waiting for a used one to pop up as well. Can't afford a new one, plus I'd need to sell one of my amps to pay for it, and I'd like to compare it side by side with what I have to see how it stacks up.

13. duaneallen

As relating to the questions about the SST, I tried one a while back, but for some reason, didn't really dig it. It was at a lower volume in a music store, so there's that. I want a louder/bigger sounding AST; doesn't have to sound exactly like an AST, but I still want that sweetness, for lack of a better word.

14. porterburst

Maybe it was because you tried it at lower volume, because though it's not 45 watts like the ST-45, the SST-30 can get loud.

The clean tones are amazing, and it has a wide range of sweet drive tones. With four 6V6GT's, I'm sur the tone is different compared to the ST-45, but the tone of the SST-30 is fantastic as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShEkC9xkPOo

Last edited: Mar 5, 2015
  15. J D Miley

J D Miley Supporting Member

I just bought a New Swart ST45 It is due in today. I'll be basically using it set clean just on the verge of break up as a pedal platform amp. I have researched this amp and like the reviews of how well it takes OD/dist pedals.

16. pale fire

Porter - sorry it took me a while to reply; no - the SWART is actually loose in a nice way...I have it through a broken in Scumback H75 - that probably doesn't hurt!

17. pale fire

JD - I really think you are going to enjoy the ST45 with OD pedals....pull the master back to about noon (this rolls off some of the high end), bring up the input volume to taste....the three way switch is helpful....down position is brightest, I like it, but you may want to go up or middle for your sounds

It reminds me of my AST Master combo a lot when it comes to taking OD pedals very well

18. porterburst

Thanks!

That's just what I wanted to hear.

Can't wait to try one.

I friend just gave me a new fully broken in Scumback H75-65 watter that's in my MKII Master Combo, and it does sound really good.

My MKII also has the three way EQ swicth, so it's a killer set up.

Also have the new 8 ohm Eminence EJ1240 alnico 12 to compare to the EJ1250 and Scumabck.

19. pale fire

I'd like to hear your take on the speakers....my AST Master through a Celestion gold is pretty great, gotta figure the alnicos will work well

20. pale fire

JD is probably playing the amp right now.......we should hear from him soon!