Swart STR Owners... What dirt pedal???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by koa, Jan 23, 2012.

1. koa

koa Member

I just picked up an original STR this week and I'm looking for a dirt pedal that would work best with it. I've heard stay away from TS pedals... is this accurate? Thanks

2. magilla

magilla Chasing those soulful sounds. Silver Supporting Member

Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive could be a good 'un. Very musical. Great if you're going for a mid-gain, cranked Fender sound. Harder to dial in a mild sound with Humbuckers, I've found. Still great sounding, though. What kind of sound are you going for?

3. koa

koa Member

I'm playing a Tele into it. Looking for blues-rock/country rock tones.
    Thanks

4. gulliver

gulliver Member

If you have any friends with modeler pedals, it's a real easy way to test drive several pedals without buying/selling. I have a couple and they're surprisingly close to the pedals they model.

5. camel-walk**

camel-walk** Member

I really like the King of Tone with the AST a lot. I also like my AM Ts 808 for certain situations. It ends up being a very thick tone. You sacrifice a lot of clarity. Also a germanium treble does wonders for the AST if you're pushing it.

6. dividedsky

dividedsky Member

I personally would stay away from anything that is trying to change the tone too much. I think this amp sounds best just running guitar to amp. However, if you do want to run a pedal (and there are lots of good reasons for doing so) I would try to stay more or less EQ neutral. Greg V did a great demo of a boost and OD from the same company that I think go really well with the Swart sound. Check it out if you haven't - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmyoZdgHVJQ

7. neils

neils Supporting Member

The Wampler Ecstacy witht he toggle in the middle position is very neutral EQ wise.

JHS Morning Glory also just a nice push with some EQ options as well.

Neil

8. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

I crank mine all the way up and with humbuckers I don't need a dirt pedal. With my strats and tele I goose it a bit with a Klon. Works great!

9. flcmcya

flcmcya Silver Supporting Member

A boost will do ya! ;)

10. lostpoet2

lostpoet2 Supporting Member

I mainly use my Tim pedal with mine. I think transparent boost type pedals sound best with this circuit, although Treble boosters are cool too.