Swart STR-Tweed

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by DoctorBob, Feb 26, 2012.

1. DoctorBob

DoctorBob Member

Like me, you probably have a gajillion guitars and amps. Here are my thoughts on this one. I had the Atomic Jr, and though I liked it at first-thinking it would be a home use amp-I found it too dark,too loud for use at home,the 8" speaker unusable in a gigging situation, no standby, and the tubes exposed in the rear, so I upgraded to the 12" speaker 5 watter STR-Tweed.I gigged out with it and here are my thoughts.Ridiculous amount of Reverb-I mean that in a bad way. 1/3 of the way up on volume was enuff to keep up with bass and drums.Has a switch that adds or subtracts gain. With it on at the level described--too much!!Off, 1/3 of the way up on volume--fabulous tone-no need for pedal-with a strat mostly on position 2. We were doing Derek and the Dominoes type stuff and this combo -strat straight into the amp sans gain-was very good.So, in general, very nice amp-works sans pedal-found the gain switch superfluous and the Reverb too strong.But really, really worked well with the strat to get tremendous EC strat type tones.I mean it nails it.(My bandmates thought the Blues Jr I used last week sounded just as good:1/5 the price;go figure).But if you like the Tweed look and mojo-here it is...Next week I'll try my 335

2. Bluesidae

Bluesidae Member

Great review! I had a Blues Jr... it was was not in the same league as my Swart my 6V6 SE. BTW it had Layla in mind when I bought the Swart :)

3. Wombat

Wombat Supporting Member

I think with the Swarts, the further up on the volume you go, the more pronounced the reverb becomes. The gain switch seems to come in handier for home or practice situations where you want that gain at lower volume levels. I'm itching to hear the newest version of this amp that is set to hit the streets... the Swart STR-Tremolo. It is in the retro cab with knobs on the top, and the gain switch is removed in favor of a 3 position EQ switch. Plus you get that really cool Swart tremolo all in the 5w package. Thanks for the review

4. Gretsch47

Gretsch47 Member

Actually, the higher the level the LESS pronounced the reverb is with the STR-Tweed. Although I rarely set the reverb much above 11:00-12:00 unless I want that huge reverb effect. I also use delay much less when I'm playing the STR-Tweed with the reverb up past 10:00 or so as both reverb and delay can be way too much. In my experience, the clean channel is more than adequate for home use or for quiet jams but the hot channel is really where it's at, Mic'd the hot channel is just incredible in a band setting.....The break up on this amp is the most natural and "woody" I've ever heard....my two bits.

5. DoctorBob

DoctorBob Member

Just gigged with a Goldtop LP with the STR-Tweed. Used the "low" input, gain switch on. With a strat, great clean tones sans gain switch on the high input.The tone with the LP was really, really nice-tremendous sustain with not much distortion.Really brought out the best qualities of a LP-Fillmore type Duane -ish tone.

So it appears to me the STR-Tweed can do good clean strat stuff or good overdriven LP stuff, i.e. does single-coils or Humbuckers just fine. Not a one-trick pony at all as I had first thought

Bottom line-this is really a great sounding amp

6. flcmcya

flcmcya Silver Supporting Member

Been bonding with mine on similar settings......around a third up on the volume......you can feel every note squeeze out... perfect

7. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

Great to hear, I have one incoming in a few days.

8. porterburst

porterburst Supporting Member

I agree!

When I play the STR-Tweed, the more you turn up, the reverb smooths out a lot, and is less pronounced.

It's a great little amp!

Last edited: Mar 5, 2012
  9. ElDiabloAmps

ElDiabloAmps Member

I haven't had a chance to bring my STR to a gig, but I did lend her out a couple of weeks ago to a local artist for a recording date he had coming up. I had a chance to hear a couple of rough mixes, and his tone blew me away! The engineer made that little 5 watt amp sound like a 1950's Harley! ha!

10. thesjkexperienc

thesjkexperienc ^^^ I made this guitar^^^

That isn't true of my AST Pro nor my SST-30. When I play with the volume on one it is like a cave, but if I have it on 10 or 11 I need to turn the reverb up to 5. If you are using the JJ 12dw7 the revs will not sound that great. That , and the rectifier, are the only places I bother to put NOS in.

I started with the STR-Tweed on my Swart journey and liked it so much I found a great deal on a used AST Pro. It was so much better sounding and not much different volume wise I ended up selling the STR. I tend not to like single ended amps.

I eventually got sick of the nasty high end of the Celestion and put a Scumback J-55 in it and now it is perfect! I stick to Tung Sol preamp tubes, but have a bunch of different brand and model tubes for the rectifier and power sections. It is like getting a new amp with a speaker swap.

Since I got the AST Pro almost 3 years ago my Victoria 20112 gathers dust for the most part, so I am considering selling it to fund another Swart or possibly a used LsL T-Bone.

11. Wombat

Wombat Supporting Member

Yeah, I stand corrected. I remembered the reverb being tricky depending on the volume setting for my AST but got it reversed as to the effect on the volume. I don't typically set mine for much reverb at all, and then complement that setting with a Neunabar WET when I want ambiant types of sounds. Either way it's all great sounds and I love my AST

I'm considering a speaker swap for mine as well. I have a Scumback M75 that I liked so much in the Crema Wheat that I might put it in the AST if I ever get the time to take it apart for the change.

12. strangec

strangec Supporting Member

I went from an AST, to the AST master, to the STR Tweed which has been my fav one so far.

13. DoctorBob

DoctorBob Member

Just gigged with the STR-tweed with an old Lp JR (1959). Low input. No "overdrive".Volume up about 1/3.Tone about 11:00 (p-90's are bright) and the guitars tone control rolled back a bit.Massive sustain. Perfect break-up. Lovely tone.Absolutely no need for a pedal (I don't like pedals).Volume up on the guitar for solos, rolled back to clean up for comping. Really, really fine..

So now I know this amp works well with P-90's, Humbuckers, or single coils

5 watts. Loud enuff to gig with. Great amp for all guitars. Me likey

14. GAT

I love mine, it sounds like a really cranked amp without the insane volume. It's still loud though, but manageable. I bought another one so on larger gigs I'll bring both.

15. Angry Old Man

Angry Old Man Member

I realize that wattage is subjective and flat out varies from brand to brand, but in another thread nobody thinks a 22watt DR is loud enough for a strong drummer.

Interesting........Looked at the swarts tonight, their certainly cool looking

16. GAT

I could gig this one unless it was a louder gig, hence buying another one.

I also have 100 watt D style amps, 50 watt Marshalls, etc. But when I gig, I have to control the volume and the Swart is right at that volume where it's loud enough, especially if you mic. It sounds louder than you would think 5 watts would be.

17. DoctorBob

DoctorBob Member

We're playing a 1000 seat theater next week and I'm playing it (miked)

18. jjboogie

jjboogie Member

You ever play a 335 with your Swart tweed? Just curious.....how'd it go with this gig?

Resurrecting an old thread but I am new to Swart and am reading up all I can since I have one on order. :)

19. Bcduke2

Bcduke2 Member

Also curious to the above question!