1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Swart STR vs. STR-Tweed

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by kevkyle39, Feb 15, 2009.

1. kevkyle39

kevkyle39 Member

I was wondering if anyone has had or played both and could comment on the tonal differences. Besides the fact that the tweed has the gain switch is there a huge difference in tone?

2. kevkyle39

kevkyle39 Member

3. ruger9

ruger9 Member

Do a search for "Swart" in the title. there are 1 or 2 recent threads that go into this in great detail.

4. DavidH

DavidH Member

I have the original STR. I haven't played the tweed but i've listened to the clips and they share a lot of similarlties, the tweed still has the reedy singy top end, but the lows seem looser and with a looser tweed breakup compared to the tighter tweed breakup of the original STR, it's still easily regognisable as an STR to me. The original is a little brighter.

Swart describe it as a little warmer and a little hotter ,and have added a switch to bypass the extra gain stage so you can still get some cleans. The original STR can still sound very warm, i play mine with humbuckers and p-90s and it seems perfectly suited, i love the way mine breaks up. For me, and with my guitars, it sounds and feels really special, i love the breakup on it so i'm going to leave this one be, i love it the way it is. They both have the extra gain stage compared to the 6v6se and i think that may account for why it's capable of a slightly more grown up, sophisticated sound and can mimic some of the bigger tweeds.

Are you looking at a used STR? IMO you can't go wrong because you can always send it in for the mod. They're lovely little amps, and well made, mine is dead quiet at idle even in my house which is noisy. Make sure it has a fresh 6v6 in it, mine's been through two in a year (i've been playing it a lot). It was sounding a little dull in the last couple of weeks until i put a fresh 6v6 in it, now it sounds amazing again, it definately has an appetite for output tubes. The clips of the original STR are still on the Swart site and are extrememly representative if you play humbuckers.

5. thesjkexperienc

thesjkexperienc ^^^ I made this guitar^^^ Silver Supporting Member

I have the tweed and cant imagine a nicer 5 watt amp. It does respond well to different tubes and I did notice a much larger tighter bottom with JJ 6V6 tubes. I ended up using nos Marconi tubes for more even tone and better harmonics, but it is softer in the bass.

I havent heard the original, but past threads echo DavidH's comments.

6. DavidH

DavidH Member

Yes, definately worth mentioning that they respond really well to tube changes, and take 6l6 and el34s aswell there's loads of scope for tweaking with tubes. i've been using JJ6v6 with the GZ34 rectifier which is my favourtite combo so far, but i have a GE 6v6 (which is suposed to be a very warm sounding tube) and a 5y3 incoming to try. V1 have have a vintage mullard 12ax7 supplying the harmonic chime which sounds great. I have a Tesla El34 which sounds really great in it too, more british sounding, much fatter and more output, but i like the tweedy breakup of a 6v6.

7. kevkyle39

kevkyle39 Member

Thanks guys, appreciate the info, I found a new one at a shop near me and put some money down on it the other day and will be picking it up at the end of the month... I was just trying to get an idea if I should send it to swart for the tweed upgrade.