Sweep picking help

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by spyrotheleo, Mar 17, 2008.

1. spyrotheleo

spyrotheleo Member

Hey,
    I have been trying to work on this technique, but Im having a hard time with it. Do you guys know of any good exercises I could use to get this down? Thanks

2. jazzandmetal?

jazzandmetal? Supporting Member

Playing slowly with a metronome.

Get the Frank Gambale dvd "monster licks-speed picking"

Start with 2 or 3 note arpeggios first and work on going forward first. Then work on going backwards. Progress to 4 strings then 5 then 6. It is a hard technique to master. Takes a lot of practice.

3. Kappy

Kappy Member

Pretty much sums it up completely. Nice post!

4. jazzandmetal?

Thanks, still trying to "master" it myself! :cool:

5. Swain

Swain Member

Yeah, be sure to keep the notes in time. A lot of players will cram as many as possible, into a measure. Also, make sure every note rings out clearly.

I would try to play the Arpeggio, etc. with all fret hand hammer-ons (or pull-offs), first. When you can clearly sound the notes with your fret hand, this will help with your technique when sweeping.

6. shredtheater

shredtheater Member

you would probably want to get down your triad arpeggio sweeps before tackling the 7ths and other extensions.

You might wanna transribe some Jason Becker or cacophony stuff to get a handle on this. You dont need to play it as fast. I would suggest something like the Serrana Arpeggios for this. It has a good combination of 5 and 3 string sweeps. If you having trouble with the bigger sweeps you can always break it down to smaller shapes although it is generally harder to play the smaller shapes fast.

The FG dvd is great although more difficult than it needs to be for a beginner. Also there is a fair bit of economy stuff in their which you dont need to be able to do in order to sweep your typical shred style arpeggios. Infact very few metal/shred guys use economy picking yet still sweep with ease. Gambale takes sweep picking to new levels so i think a good grasp on the neoclassical shred type style would be useful before hitting the gambale stuff!

7. jazzandmetal?

The main reason I suggested Gambale is the rolling excercises that he shows in the vid. Becker is a great sweeper as well. But he is also pretty advanced. But most people who sweep a lot tend to be pretty advanced players.

8. shredtheater

shredtheater Member

yeh i agree. Sweeping is something to be tackled when your at a good level. Also, yes the gambale vid is excellent in explaining the importance of rolling barre's and muting, i was just concerned that it might promote economy picking more than sweep picking. Learning all the economy picked scales and stuff isnt really required for sweeping traditional triads and such like. Although it certainly helps.

The Becker stuff is quite hard. They tend to be a mixture of short and long form shapes that generally cover the whole neck and played at a fast speed. But, like you say, there arent many easy examples, i think its just a case of playing things much slower although in some ways i find that much harder!!

9. pir8matt

pir8matt Member

There are a bunch of gambale excerpts on youtube, but to get the most out of it you'd probably want to just get the DVD.

10. jazzandmetal?

Sweeping seems to be one of those things that can actually be harder to do at slow paces once you know how to do it.:Devil

11. Swain

Swain Member

One thing I would suggest; Do patterns, arps., etc. that have 2, 4, 8, or 16 notes in them. You really want to keep everything in time. And triplets may not help with that, at the very beginning. I think that locking into 1/4, 1/8, an 1/16 notes will help you, more than just about anything. I'd save the Triplets for later.

Basically, I think timing and clarity are the keys.

12. spyrotheleo

spyrotheleo Member

What are some good patterns to practice?

13. shredtheater

shredtheater Member

well id just mix up 5 and 3 string shapes over different chord progressions.

Like this but you may wanna try simpler shapes first:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-ESkM2e21I the section you want starts at 0.35

You may want to add the tapping in at a later date.

Anyway, obviously if your just getting started the speed here is gonna be to fast but if you put on a metronome and practise individual sections and the connect them together you should find what your after.

Try to make sure everything is even in tempo!