Sweet Honey vs Honey Bee?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Figaro, Jan 13, 2015.

1. Figaro

Figaro Supporting Member

Has anyone compared the Mad Professor Sweet Honey to the Bearfoot Honey Bee?

2. King Rat

King Rat Member

3. Hector Arcadius

Hector Arcadius Member

Gearmanndude. check youtube and you will find it.

I also currrently own the MP Sweet Honey OD and I prefer it WAY BETTER to the Bearfoot HB, which I had the chance to try for one week as part of the Bearfoot Tourbox. The Bearfoot was fantastic as a stacker and really nice on it's own. But the Sweet Honey absolutely rocks, IMO, as a rhythm pedal especially.

4. gpro34

gpro34 Member

Sweet honey has a tighter bottom end. The gain is higher too. Honey bee is nice, but a little softer sounding overall.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2015
  5. IRG

IRG Member

I think they get compared a lot, but they are different. I have not compared the two head to head. But I found the SHOD while good, and as mentioned a nice rhythm guitar type pedal, it is overall a bit plain and got bored of it after a while.

The HBOD on the other hand, has a lot of character, the nature knob can give you a lot of lower end thump, but it's not a a tight, defined low end. It's designed to sound like a small, low watt tube amp, the Supro I think. I love it, but it won't be everyone's cup of tea, no overdrive is. The HBOD can be set too, with almost no gain, and it just gives you that nice, warm feeling. A lot of people use the Klon this way, but I greatly preferred the HBOD for this. Again, personal preferences.

In the end, I don't think you can go wrong with either version. You might want to look at the Uber Bee too, I had that as part of the tourbox, and really like it a lot. A touch more gain, but a separate treble control that was useful. Might have both in the future.

6. Abandoned

Abandoned Member

I've always wanted to try a SHOD but have been so satisfied with my HBOD that I've never taken the plunge.

7. gpro34

gpro34 Member

Sweet honey is more versatile. It too has a knob that changes the character, more cutting or warmer depending on where you set it.

8. lgehrig4

lgehrig4 Silver Supporting Member

These pedals are not alike. If they both didn't have honey in the name they wouldn't be compared.

I think the HB would compare with a Timmy, TS, Klon, etc

9. IRG

IRG Member

They are different sounding, but I wouldn't call the SHOD more versatile. Both are lower gain to medium gain pedals. Your guitar's pickups will make a bigger impact as to the versatility and overall tone in conjunction with either pedal.

10. con brio

con brio Member

They are also compared because the share a designer, and one (sweet honey) is intentionally that designer doing a different take on the earlier circuit/sound (honey bee).

11. lgehrig4

Got it. Just seems like the SH is more like an overdrive and the HB a boost.

12. CiceroTJones

CiceroTJones Member

I've owned them both...

SHOD is way better rhythm pedal. Crisp top end, definitely sounds like a drive pedal and sounds amazing in front of a clean or dirty amp. For lead, it's a bit boring and maybe the top end is a little too crispy for that application.

Honey Bee is way closer to Superbolt than Klon or Timmy. Saggy low end, great squish in the midrange, perfect for leads. Also stacks super well and is great with a booster in front for more gain and/or a booster behind it for volume boost and tone shaping.

I use my Honey Bee all the time in this gain section: Em Drive > Paramount > Honey Bee > Icarus Boost. Sounds wonderful in all single note applications and also as a saggy, amp-like rhythm pedal.

13. Figaro

Figaro Supporting Member

I found both at the same store today and compared them side by side. I thought they sounded similar and was even able to adjust them to sound very close to each other. I didnt get to try them through my Samamp so not sure which one I prefer yet.

14. Jess 1971

Jess 1971 Supporting Member

I run the SHOD with an ARC Effects Klone and it is the best overdrive combo I have ever used. I really love the SHOD--it's a versatile OD that sounds great on almost all settings. Has a very warm and natural sounding overdrive. Vastly underrated pedal, IMO.

15. MattAnt

MattAnt Supporting Member

I've had both, and both are great.

SHOD is brighter, too bright for some, and the HBOD is the opposite, too dark for some. I love the chirpy, aggressive bite of the SHOD, but also love the saggy, touch responsiveness of the HBOD (though the SHOD is also very touch responsive).

Both are better suited for rhythm guitar, and both can easily be left on all the time. Can't go wrong with either.

16. Prizefighter

Prizefighter Supporting Member

Compared both a few years ago, kept the SHOD (still use it). More versatile in my experience and half the price. HBOD was cool and sounded great playing alone but it didn't cut through a band mix well, always had to turn up too loud in order to be heard.

17. Kenny Blue

Kenny Blue Supporting Member

The Sweet Honey Overdrive vs Honey Bee Overdrive
    Parts 1, 2 & 3 ....

18. lgehrig4

The HB is my favorite boost/overdrive ever. I love the way it gooses marshall/marshall inspired amps. The way I have it set it sounds just like the amp but with more balls. Stays open(minimal compression) and just a touch fatter.

I was using it just now with my Lightning and '78 JMP 2203 and it killed.

I've had a lot of overdrives (Timmy, Klon, TS9/808, Fulldrive, a few by barber and many others). This one just suits my purpose. The Klon was a while ago and I would try again if they weren't so expensive. Everyone raves about the Timmy and it was nice but something about it, that I can't put my finger on, didn't sit right with me. Kind of sterile perhaps?