Sweet Honey with more gain?

LionVerse

Anhedonic Misanthrope
Silver Supporting Member
Hey Guys

I like the color and feel of the Sweet Honey OD but want a little more gain on tap. Any suggestions other than the Honey Beest?

Thanks

crxshdxmmy

Honey Bee/st and Sweet Honey are very different animals. Don't let the name(s) fool you.

Have you tried putting a boost or compressor in front of the SHOD to add more saturation/gain? Whenever I want more drive in my Timmy, I just crank up my compressor a bit and go nuts.

LionVerse

Anhedonic Misanthrope
Silver Supporting Member
Honey Bee/st and Sweet Honey are very different animals. Don't let the name(s) fool you.
Thanks.
I agree and prefer the SHOD but thought a lot of people might suggest the beest which isn't what I'm looking for.

NeilYoungFan

Silver Supporting Member
Used to own a SHOD for a while and still consider it one of the finest overdrive pedals I've ever tried. To my ears the Vemuram Jan Ray sounds exactly like a SHOD with more EQ options and gain available. Watch a couple demos and judge for yourself.

LionVerse

Anhedonic Misanthrope
Silver Supporting Member
Thanks but that's going to be out of my price range for sure

currynoodles

Basing it off the schematic found HERE

From the looks of the schematic, you can change the A500k gain pot to a A1M to give it more gain. If your Sweet Honey is like the gut shot that I see here, the pot is not mounted on the PCB and it should be an easy swap job.

LionVerse

Anhedonic Misanthrope
Silver Supporting Member
Basing it off the schematic found HERE

From the looks of the schematic, you can change the A500k gain pot to a A1M to give it more gain. If your Sweet Honey is like the gut shot that I see here, the pot is not mounted on the PCB and it should be an easy swap job.
Interesting I didn't think of modding it. Is that going to reduce the overall output? BTW I don't actually have one yet. I used one and liked it but have held back on getting one wishing it had a little more gain.

Abandoned

Tweed Tube Tone Purist
The new Bearfoot Über Bee might be something to look into, but if all else fails grabbing a booster like the Timmy or Xotic EP Boostee gives me the exact results in looking for when wanting more gain from a pedal without changing its character much if at all.

ghostrider

The new Bearfoot Über Bee might be something to look into, but if all else fails grabbing a booster like the Timmy or Xotic EP Boostee gives me the exact results in looking for when wanting more gain from a pedal without changing its character much if at all.
Sorry to slightly veer off topic, but I've been trying to figure out what the story is with the Uber Bee. What's the difference between it and the Beast?

Abandoned

Tweed Tube Tone Purist
Sorry to slightly veer off topic, but I've been trying to figure out what the story is with the Uber Bee. What's the difference between it and the Beast?
It had four knobs, there's been a lot of 4 knob style bees, but this kinda combined all of them.

This has additional gain and a treble knob for adding brightness basically.

Don Rusk

BearFoot FX Owner
Vendor
.. right if you like what you have and you just want more then a pre boost is good for that and MP makes a good onedesigned by the SH designer called the Ruby Red Booster......

Teledeluxe77

Not to :horse but I'll +1 on adding a Timmy or something similar to save the tone but still add some gain since it's so transparent.

Don Rusk

BearFoot FX Owner
Vendor
We are making the first batch of Uber Bees this week and they will be released for our anniversary on 2/22 ...
the UB is the result of all the research of the last couple years that included the Honey Beest (revoiced and preamped for higher gain Bee), Honey Beeatch (treble lifter), Homey Beeatch ( different nature control) .....

Also some have wanted the slightly darker voice of the first gen BJFe Honey Bee.....

So the UB has a drive range that starts slightly cleaner than the HB and goes to about double the dirt ....

and a Treble control thats starts slightly darker than the Bearfoot voicing and raises the blanket with a treble control......

so the Uber as its name implies is the Super Bee ~ more drive and more treble .....but its still a Honey Bee ......... the Beest is voiced a little different for running at medium and high gain.

LionVerse

Anhedonic Misanthrope
Silver Supporting Member
Thanks guys! I see a couple Superbolts I'll have to check that out I never looked at that on.

ghostrider

We are making the first batch of Uber Bees this week and they will be released for our anniversary on 2/22 ...
the UB is the result of all the research of the last couple years that included the Honey Beest (revoiced and preamped for higher gain Bee), Honey Beeatch (treble lifter), Homey Beeatch ( different nature control) .....

Also some have wanted the slightly darker voice of the first gen BJFe Honey Bee.....

So the UB has a drive range that starts slightly cleaner than the HB and goes to about double the dirt ....

and a Treble control thats starts slightly darker than the Bearfoot voicing and raises the blanket with a treble control......

so the Uber as its name implies is the Super Bee ~ more drive and more treble .....but its still a Honey Bee ......... the Beest is voiced a little different for running at medium and high gain.
Thanks for the detailed reply. I currently have the regular Bee, but I have to admit that being able to dial in some more treble does sound appealing.

Trending Topics