Sweet mother of tone, the Budda ROCKS!!!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by kselbee, Jul 15, 2008.

1. kselbee

kselbee Member

I just bought a used SD 18 (series 2) from member tombba (thanks for a great transaction!!) and sweet mother of moses, this thing is AMAZING!!!! Now I should say I've had LOTS of amps... and I mean lots.... I've had Fender, Marshall, Rivera, Zinky, Bogner, Splawn, Mesa, etc.

My main rig now is a Mesa Stiletto Ace with a G Major in the loop. I LOVE this rig, but needed something smaller for grab and go or smaller, less volume situations. I've tried some other smaller amps and I really liked the Mesa Lonestar Special (not sure it had enough gain) and a few others, but saw a good deal on the Budda so I thought I'd give it a shot. Wow... just wow! Sounds amazing and there are LOTS of tones in there. Great warm clean, great slight breakup, and all the way up to smooth singing leads. I just got the thing yesterday so I'm definitely early in the honeymoon, but feel that this could be it for sure.

I know there's lots of Budda love here, but just wanted to say now I get it!

2. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

Yes indeed they do! I've got an SD30 series I head myself. Congrats and enjoy!

3. Andre357

Andre357 Member

I have an 18 SD II 1 x12 combo as my main amp ( and a 30 as backup ! )

When I first tried it at a music store a couple of years back it was a revelation .

I hadn't even heard of them at that point, didn't care if it was PTP or PCB...I wasn't even looking for an amp at the time ( i was using a HEAVEY mesa lone star head and HEAVEY 2X12 cab , i loved that the budda was so light and easy to transport and just as loud at only 18 watts ! ).

But i laid down the plastic and walked out THAT DAY with the combo and have been using it ever since.

I liked it so much I unloaded the lone star and bought the 30 as a backup a few months later !!

They are great, even underrated amps IMHO....

4. snoggin

snoggin Member

I FUY AGREE on a the above. Best amp for the money I have come across.. I recorded our little band demo on it. I think it best suited for rock and somewhat distorted sound but it is an awesome little unit and LOUD

5. neastguy

neastguy Supporting Member

i'd love to try one, but out of my price range

6. OrangeAD30TC

OrangeAD30TC The venerable H.W.

Is that your gear in your avatar. I think everything in that picture is more expensive than the SD18 head or 1x12 combo.

7. neastguy

well, if I sold my zinky head and cab, probably be the same..(zinky cab is gone) cant sell my LP, thats crazy talk.. the fender is gone.. that was a mim... those sd 18 2's are 1k plus.. arnt they?

8. Andre357

Andre357 Member

yes, but isn't excellent tone.............priceless ? :D

9. neastguy

i agree, but for me there is a limit........ If i did it for a living maybe not.. but thats a whole different thread.. enjoy that amp, I'd love to try one someday...:D

10. M@tt C

M@tt C Supporting Member

Buddas are the bomb fer sure. I've had my SD 30 head for a few months now, and I can honestly say I have no desire to buy anything else. Everything from beautiful, chimey cleans to ripping overdrive are on tap, plus it responds beautifully to the old volume knob on the guitar.

The fist time the guys in my band heard it was at a gig- I hit the 1st chord and they all turned, looked, smiled, and nodded. Band approved! It's not going anywhere......

11. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

I love my SD-18 combo!!!

12. qatcat

qatcat Member

love my SD30 and got a SD18 in the mail

13. OrangeAD30TC

OrangeAD30TC The venerable H.W.

I thought I loved my Budda, Then I learned what love truly was when I put in a G12H30 and a Greenback. I almost cream my shorts when I run a DMM with slight Vibrato and through that amp.

14. Senor Forum

Senor Forum Gold Supporting Member

So the GB and G12H30 make a good combo with an SD30??

I may have to try that out with mine.

:tapedshut

15. neastguy

so what does a used 18 sd 2 go for abouts? combo

16. Senor Forum

The 1x12 SD18 II usually goes for around 900-1100.

Possibly the best deal on the used amp market EVER.

:JAM

17. neastguy

I'll have to keep my eyes open... I'd have to sell my zinky head though (market is real bad right now for selling, i think.. dunno what my zink head would go for)... which I do love, but at the same time ... I'm tired of carrying around a head and speaker... the gigs I play really dont require a 2x12... the bigger gigs i can just mic

18. Senor Forum

I hear ya.

And hell, you can always buy a 2x12 cab to sit under the combo if you ever feel the need. :D

My SD30 sits on top of a Budda 2x12 right now, and it sounds pretty damn huge.

I hear people sometimes complain about the SD18 and 30 not having enough bottom end, but I can't imagine needing more bottom end than my setup puts out right now.

It's also worth mentioning that the guys behind the amps are AWESOME as well.

:bow:bow

19. dosmun

dosmun Member

I just got a SD30 last week myself. It is a great sounding amp even at bedroom volume. I don't have any gigs for a week or 2 so I'm climbing the walls:banana waiting to try this baby out at stage volume.

I installed the volume mod last night and I think this will be a nice feature.

Still deciding on a cab to use. I tried my 4x12 with H30/V30's but it seemed to harsh to me. My old Marshall cab with 25watt creambacks sounds the best so far but I may end up using a pair of Rivera 1x12 Thiele cabs with G12T85's for a while just because they are easier to haul around. When I find a speaker that suits me I may pick up a 2x12 cab down the road.

20. Andre357

Andre357 Member

Guys - I went home last night and put two new matched groove tubes el84's in my SDII 18 1x12.........hadn't changed them in a while ( 6 - 8 months ?? )......

WOW !!! I had lost a bit of highs and lows I guess :eek:

Also, experimented with putting the Drive to about 2 o clock ( I usually run it about 10 o clock for a more classic sound ), and cranked the mids from about 10 o clock to 2 o clock as well.....

Great tones with my tele on both rythmn and Lead channels........

So I'm master at 10 - 11 o clock, Bass Dimed, mids at 2 o clock, treble at 1 - 2 o clock and rythmn at 9 - 10 o clock.....

Loving the tones...

How are you guys setting yours ??