Sweetsound probender

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by mahler, Dec 18, 2009.

1. mahler

mahler Member

Does any one know A.) if this uses OC81's or OC81d's and B.) when this pedal will be back in production (the Ultra Vibe just got back into production.)

Thanks
    A.

2. imguitardan

imguitardan Member

Mahler,
    You've obviously been bitten by the Bender bug. Seek help before it's too late.:messedup

I know because I've got the desease too and every Bender post I've seen in the last week or so have been started or bumped by you. You can't hear the inflection in my voice but it's warm hearted optimism (my keyboard is smiling)
    :beer

I hope you (and the rest of us) find the tone we're looking for.

3. mahler

mahler Member

Ahhh, you caught me, i should join the TA (tonebenders anonymous), your right, but I'm hoping this mkII I get solves it. Funnily enough, I've never owned an MKII (MKI's and FF's) but not a MKII, but I hope this is gonna be the one!
    See Your around!

Cheers

4. zosozep7

zosozep7 Gold Supporting Member

Hey bros! Add me to that list! Ill admit, Im infected! My last addiction was a good delay pedal. I ended up with a Diamond ML and a Trex Replica. Im not settling for cheap stuff for my Tone bender! LOL!

5. mahler

mahler Member

Haha, I'm a fuzz and OD guy, finally found the distortion for me, know the fuzz is the obsession, never been much of a delay addict!

Zosozep did you figure out what Tonebender you might want to try?

6. cubba65

cubba65 Member

The Sweetsound Probender used 81-D's but they were of a more modern production transistor, not 1960's.
    It's an authentic sounding MKII pedal, does some cool Beatles fuzztones and other classic 60's Brit-Invasion stuff.
    It's not as beefy as the D*A*M MKII's, but sometimes that's just what you're looking for.
    I don't think the Probender will be produced again anytime soon.
    It was something that Bob Sweet was working on for a ltd. run.
    There was some talk of Barbara Sweet building these again (she built the Mojo/Ultra Vibes for Bob for many years, even when Bob was alive and working on other pedals, so she knows her stuff!).
    I'm sure she could do a good job with these too, but so far I don't think she has the intention to do so.
    Snag a used one if you can, they sound great!

7. mahler

mahler Member

Thanks cubba65!

8. bandofthieves™

bandofthieves™ Member

Happy Holidays Brother.
    I remember Bob had given up on the OC-81's.He said out of 100 maybe 15-20 were good for him.He was looking at NKT275's.He said they sounded as good if not better..here is an old post from Bob.Thanks TGP RIP Bob we miss you.
    Bob Sweet [​IMG]
    Gold Supporting Member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DocRock [​IMG]
    I think that a well-executed Mk II Bender is a well-executed Mk II Bender. I think that the difference in trannies is a function of pure h y p e .

Yes and no....I use the OC81's in my Pro Bender, I've also used OC44 and I actually like the 44's better. But people want what they want. Besides they are equally hard to come by, good ones at least. The big thing to look for is gain and leakage. Too much of either and no matter what you use they'll suck.

9. cubba65

cubba65 Member

Happy Holidays to you too K!

Got a little teary eyed with your references to Bob.
    I could hear him saying those very words.

Sorely missed you are Bob!

[​IMG]

10. amphead777

amphead777 Member

My Pro Bender is truly outstanding. It's OC-81D's, I believe are from the late '80's.
    Very responsive to your guitars volume. Roll it back slightly and do your best J. Page solos. Don't know if the trannies are British or not.

11. bandofthieves™

bandofthieves™ Member

I found the other post....
    Bob Sweet [​IMG]
    Gold Supporting Member

Well, they aren't made FOR me, but they are made within the last 20 years and they are "selected" by the makers for me as per my specs. BUT.....It's becoming harder and harder to get them to spec these out for me (OC81"s) and I'll probably build the ones I have left and then discontinue the Pro Bender. Out of maybe 100 OC-81's I might get 20-30 that sound right and that's AFTER they pick them out for me. And at what they charge me for that it's not worth it. Also, I have experimented with NKT275's in there and they sound just as good, maybe even better. And I can still get those matched so maybe I'll just switch to using those. Not sure yet.

12. bandofthieves™

bandofthieves™ Member

Me Too! +1000

13. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Supporting Member

Contrary to what was posted above, Barbara Sweet said in a recent post on the GP that the Sweet Sound fuzzes will be back in production in the near future. I hope sooner than later. There is also a note about this I believe on the website, as I recall.

Al

14. bandofthieves™

bandofthieves™ Member

Hi Al,Contarary to what you thought you might have read the poster was being specific to the original Thread Topic which is The Probender.

"I don't think the Probender will be produced again anytime soon.
    It was something that Bob Sweet was working on for a ltd. run.

I'm sure she could do a good job with these too, but so far I don't think she has the intention to do so.
    Snag a used one if you can, they sound great!"

15. nlopez

nlopez Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

Hey Steve,
    Don't forget I have right of first refusal if you are ever gonna sell it. (Even though, I know you never will get rid of it!)

Nick

16. zombiwoof

I don't know what you are saying, the ProBender was one of the fuzzes that was released and sold before Bob's death, and is still listed on Sweet Sound's website, and Barbara said in a recent post that they will be bringing back all of the fuzzes (including the ProBender) in the near future. Also, on the website she says you can get on a waiting list for any of the fuzzes. I was just pointing out that they WILL be back in production in the future, contrary to a previous post here.

Al

17. bandofthieves™

bandofthieves™ Member

Ok. Well Bob was saying before he was diagnosed that it was getting hard to find the correct Trannies(Ask Analogman about his venture).So he was thinking of using nkt275's instead of the 81's..I'm just not sure Barbara would want to mess with the anal people that will complain about the nkt275's no matter how good they sound..Cubba was not talking about the other fuzz pedals Bob built because they were never a problem as far as trannies went..That was my point. Cubba would go to the gates of hell before he would make a statement about SweetSound and Barbara that would hurt their business..I didn't want you to think or imply he was doing such.Bottom line,Thank you for making your post about the Fuzz's being back.Are we ok with that?? Hope so. Keith

Last edited: Dec 20, 2009
  18. zombiwoof

No problem, I just wanted people to know that she is planning on bringing all of the fuzzes back, as there has been a lot of interest in them (I am interested myself in all of the fuzzes). I have no idea what she is going to do about the tranny problem, maybe Bob got some more stock before he left us and they are on hand, maybe they will come with different trannies. Either way, I bet they will sound fine, I don't believe as much in the transistor mojo as many do, I think it could be made to sound good with any of the OC... trannies, or others if it tuned correctly. I do think they will cost more than before, I seem to remember them to be only $159 when they first came out, now they show prices of $189-199. Still not bad compared to what some boutique fuzzes cost.

Anyway, hats off to Barbara for continuing Bob's vision, and my late condolences to her and the family.

P.S. I have a Mojo Vibe and love it!.

Al

19. bandofthieves™

bandofthieves™ Member

Cool,I love happy endings!!!!
    [​IMG]