Sweetwater guitar purchase last weekend...still no ship.

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by rhinocaster, Feb 20, 2020.

1. rhinocaster

rhinocaster Supporting Member

So it's luck of the draw at this point.....they either know where your guitar is or they don't.

Would have been cool for my rep to say that they're going to be behind for a while and he'd stay in touch about the status of my order instead of just telling me that it was shipping out later in the day...more than once.

I'll contact him again tomorrow morning and see what the new story is.

Anacharsis likes this.
  2. ShredSquatch

ShredSquatch Conspiracy Experience Director & Stunt Guitarist Supporting Member

I've had nothing but great experiences... sorry you're having issues and hope they get you taken care of sooner than later!

~ss

rhinocaster likes this.
  3. Fuzzr

Fuzzr Supporting Member

...and the the Academy Award for Crybaby of the the Year goes to...

FloridaSam and soulman969 like this.
  4. soulman969

soulman969 Member

By way of contrasting them only I received a package today shipped via UPS. Driver came up to my 4th floor unit, knocked on my door, handed me my package, I thanked him for his service, we wished each other a great day and within 30 seconds he was headed down on the elevator.

This vs a more typical FedEx "no show" failed attempt lie.

Now I know that in some areas UPS is also not the best and in many cases their costs are a little higher but damn, at least they try to get the job done well. That counts for something.

lespaulreedsmith and Anacharsis like this.
  5. soulman969

soulman969 Member

You should be able to arrange something with the shipper for a delivery window or a delivery to a drop off location where you can pick it up.

6. les_paul

les_paul Member

The beginnings of a similar story here: I placed an order yesterday, which was marked as "Picked, packed, and ready for pickup by the courier". This morning that status is gone. I talked to my rep yesterday who made no mention of shipping delays.

At least a disclaimer when you put an item in your cart would be nice.

7. jlf599

jlf599 Temporary Saint Silver Supporting Member

Or they ring the bell and immediately start walking back to the truck, having slapped a "we tried to deliver" tag on the door. I work from home about half the time and I literally sit about 20 feet from the front door. FedEx rang the bell on Wednesday with a delivery and in the time it took for me to stand up and walk that 20 feet and open the door, he was about to slap a label on and walk away. That happens almost every single time.

Atmospheric and soulman969 like this.
  8. soulman969

soulman969 Member

Yup, same here. Takes me a couple of seconds to answer a knock at my door or I'll even go down to the main entry to take the package from the driver to save him a minute or two.

I put that in the delivery instructions along with my phone number and some FedEx guys have taken advantage of that convenience on my part before but others simply blow me off.

UPS always brings the delivery to me personally and will wait for me to answer the door. I know the driver and he knows I'm usually home whenever I'm expecting a UPS delivery. But the difference is these guys are actually UPS employees not independent contractors like many of the FedEx guys are.

By now you'd think any FedEx guys on my route would be advised about me and that I will bitch like all hell to their bosses if they lie about a delivery attempt but it still doesn't seem to sink in. They're a very lazy bunch.

9. Steadfastly

Steadfastly Member

Maybe some of you have heard that FedEx just bought UPS. They are renaming the company FedUp.:D

kustombob, W88 and soulman969 like this.
  10. soulman969

soulman969 Member

Just to summarize on the shipping delays. I believe it's the obligation of every vendor to advise a customer whenever there might be an unusual delay in processing their order and/or shipping it.

That's not only good business practice it's also a common courtesy to those who support you. If a vendor isn't doing that then IMHO they're dropping the ball. Always inform your buyer of a delay before he informs you and you score points even if the customer is upset.

If the delay is in delivery alone that's on the shipper not the vendor but they may have some leverage there as well and be able to help get an issue or failed delivery attempt resolved for you. I've done it before and so have others. It never hurt to give it a shot.

But in the end these breakdowns are typically caused be either human error of simply **** happens and we should also consider that in terms of who were dealing with. Is it a one time deal or does it always happen with them.

The purpose of an effective complaint should be not only to resolve our own issue but also to bring about changes that can eliminate it from happening again or continuing to happen time after time after time so that we all benefit.

Anacharsis likes this.
  11. soulman969

soulman969 Member

:rotflmao You just made my morning. Thanks.

:beer

Steadfastly likes this.
  12. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Member

In the same boat; ordered a guitar Tuesday night, was supposed to be delivered on Friday. Hasn't shipped. At one point it had a FedEx tracking attached to it, but that disappeared. I was told delays were caused by the warehouse move.

rhinocaster likes this.
  13. rhinocaster

Seriously...this is your contribution to the thread...to call me a crybaby.

Please, share more of your insight into business/customer interactions. You sound like someone with great expertise on the subject.

14. rhinocaster

A general note on their sight that buyers can expect delays as they transition warehouses would have been nice but it would likely have caused fewer people to hit the "BUY" button....I suppose that they decided that wasn't in their best interest.

I'm actually just not thrilled that I've been given assurances by someone there that clearly has no idea what's going on. On Monday I was told it was shipping...on Tuesday I was told it was shipping....on Wednesday I was told it was going to be overnighted.

This is exactly the way you don't do it...

markophonic likes this.
  15. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Supporting Member

Duh. Why whine about it here? Street cred I guess.

16. Shnook

Shnook Member

If I’m aware that there’s gonna be a delay before something ships and I don’t need it ASAP, then I’m patient. However, this situation would have me pretty irritated and I’d probably have cancelled the order by now. They’ve got your money. Just ship the guitar already.

rhinocaster likes this.
  17. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Supporting Member

Same exact experience, except that the rep sneaked up to my front door, slapped the label on, and sneaked away. I was sitting in my office 5 feet from the door. Definitely no knock and certainly no ring. I guess the rep didn't want to muscle the box off the truck. I talked to the regional manager and he confirmed that the rep had been disciplined for that same thing.

We have a new rep now and she's actually pretty good.

jlf599 likes this.
  18. rhinocaster

I've contacted my rep a number of times...I didn't whine to him and I haven't whined here. It's interesting that you'd feel the need to characterize it that way. I felt like I might be getting the runaround (and I actually have been) as I hadn't seen anyone in a similar position with Sweetwater recently.

I suppose it's of no value to the TGP community to know what's going on.

But swing away champ...

19. les_paul

les_paul Member

I wouldn't have bought the item I did yesterday had I known. I buy strategically so items show up when I'm home since I've had problems with both UPS and FedEx. Also, I work late enough that I have no local pickup options that beat out just being home when things show up.

The item I ordered was in stock elsewhere. Also, I can't stress enough that I talked directly to my rep and no mention was made of delayed shipments.

rhinocaster likes this.
  20. rhinocaster

They certainly could have handled this better. I just cancelled my order and will let them get their warehouse situation sorted out.