Sweetwater has G&L now

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by JB Eckl, Mar 24, 2020.

1. PickPlucker

PickPlucker Member

correction...it's their utter LACK of intellect, not to mention creativity on display.

2. PickPlucker

PickPlucker Member

Most apt description of a Sweetwater Sales "Engineer" I ever heard was that they are like an old psycho-stalker girlfriend.

3. PickPlucker

PickPlucker Member

I have no doubt there is...it was just way too much work trying to discern what those differences were from Sweetwater's advertising...even researching further outside their site, it was hard to find specific answers.... I liked a lot of what I saw, and am in the market for a Tele type instrument, but too many unanswered questions to get one mail order. Guess I'll have to find one elsewhere or wait for the plague to abate so I can go out and find a knowledgable salesman to grill....

4. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

The respective folks at FMIC and G + L have been trying not to step on one another's toes for decades now. Storefronts up until now have worked hard not to stock them side by side. Sometimes I think offering both, side by side, just distracts people and they buy neither.

I remember when George Fullerton, by then pretty far advanced in age, worked something out with G + L where he went over and did a very limited edition Stratocaster with Fender to celebrate the time he once spent over there. It was done in a very classy way and I don't know where it cost G + L a single sale.

5. Ridgeback

Ridgeback Member

I've enjoyed all five of the USA G&Ls I've owned over the years. A Fullerton signature, ASAT Deluxe, S-500, and two ASAT Specials. They are all gone now but I'd own another if the right one came along. I occasionally have GAS for an orange flake Doheny V-12 with a matching headstock but I doubt it will ever happen as I don't think you can order one like that. Love the G&L flake finishes. No experience with Sweetwater.

6. John C

John C Supporting Member

Actually G&L changed their standard neck profile in mid-2015; on the USA models it is now their "Modern Classic" shape which is 1 11/16" wide at the nut, 9.5" radius, and the specs are .820" at the first fret/.880" at the 12th fret. So basically it's their version of the Fender "Modern C" neck shape as found on American Standards, American Specials, and is still on American Performers.

That is the only shape on the Fullerton Deluxes (and also the CLF Research models); if you "option order" you can still get all their other C-shaped necks including the previous standard neck that is 1 5/8" wide at the nut. If you want a U or V shaped neck you now have to go through their Custom Shop.

Liquid State and ieso like this.
  7. Liquid State

Liquid State Member

Good to know they changed. I had ordered my 2015 Legacy in February of that year, before the change, struggled with it for years before ordering a replacement neck through Musikraft.

8. Fishermike

Fishermike Member

I love my ASAT Classic. It’s basically a tele that will kick your ass and steal your lunch money.

I’m sure the Bluesboy rocks, too, but I’m enough of a purist that in my house, Leo’s babies have single coils only. I let Les handle the humbucking duties. Totally a personal thing, and subject to change without notice.

9. Buck Woodson

Buck Woodson Supporting Member

I couldn't be happier with my
    2007 G&L custom shop semi hollow ASAT Classic Bluesboy I bought used.

The bridge pickup is a G&L made MFD, the neck humbucker is a Seymour Duncan Seth Lover. The middle pickup position is a perfect blend.

[​IMG]

I have no complaints regarding Sweetwater. If there is a legitimate problem they gladly pay for return shipping. If you just changed your mind you will have to eat the cost of return shipping. They are very clear about that and it seems reasonable to me.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
    Mincer likes this.
  10. teefus

teefus Silver Supporting Member

always good to deal with sweetwater, no questions. there are several dealers listed on the G&L website that tend to have more custom and unusual orders too.

11. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Member

[​IMG]

This is a '99 G&L S-500 that my wife had custom built for me. It features a swamp ash body and lightly birdseye'd maple neck with a "C" shape and really nicely rolled shoulders. It is one of those really flexible, really dependable axes. The MFD pickups make it studio ready right out of the box and the "Dual Fulcrum" trem is really, really smooth. It is a regular piece of my studio kit. Here's a shot of it in the studio on "red guitar day" from about 2007:

[​IMG]

Bob

Guitartim and Gig Young like this.
  12. modavis99

modavis99 Silver Supporting Member

I love the G&L story and I’ve tried to really get along with their guitars but I’ve never bonded with any G&L guitar, tribute or USA, and I’ve owned a lot over the years - ASAT Classic, Bluesboy, Legacy and Comanche. Generalizing - They were (all) heavy with a thick finish. I custom ordered a USA legacy that was north of 9 pounds and had a dull sound to my ears. I also bought, new, a cool orange sparkle USA asat classic that had a bad bridge pickup but was otherwise just meh. The best one I had was a semi-hollow tribute Bluesboy that was a good guitar for the price. Again - I love the story but I would not buy another one. YMMV

13. wildflower

wildflower Member

Sweetwater is an outstanding company. They carry Heritage and G&L, now I'm all set. They have been first rate with me for many years.

G&L guitars are outstanding. IMO they blow away the Fender line. When I'm in the market for a new guitar I bring my ASAT classic tribute as a benchmark to compare. The bridge pu has width and balls. I replaced the neck with a twang king and I've been very happy for many years.

Gig Young likes this.
  14. Artemis Fowl

Artemis Fowl Member

2004 S-500 MIK Tribute.
    Someone was asking about the tributes. IMO not as nice as US models. The MIK models are definitely a step above the Indonesian ones. Easily on par with US Fenders and the PTB wiring is great.

15. Michael Andrew

Michael Andrew Member

Agreed. Sweetwater is a VERY generous company. I think the same of Chicago Music Exchange. Any company who allows you to return a large item via mail on their dime is generous.

sixesandsevens likes this.
  16. John C

John C Supporting Member

Quoting myself just to add that Sweetwater now has G&L Fullerton Deluxe and CLF Research models in stock.

EDIT: After some quick research it appears that as of 2020 Fullerton Deluxe models are coming in a gig bag; the CLF Research models still come with a hard case. However, Sweetwater has a few mixed-up - showing a hard case with a few Fullerton Deluxes, and a gig bag with at least one CLF Research model that I looked at tonight.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020