Sweetwater sales engineer issue

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by JustinReagin, Aug 13, 2019 at 3:21 PM.

1. PurpleJesus

PurpleJesus Jimi actually wrote Wind Cries Mary about me Staff Member Supporting Member

Randy - no doubt.

@SirGilmour

SirGilmour likes this.
  2. DCross

DCross Supporting Member

BTW, regarding all this nonsense arguing about the term "Sales Engineers".
    1. Who cares?
    2. I used to call Sweetwater when I was going for my masters in mechanical engineering at MIT. The "sales engineers" helped me solve some very advanced calculus and physics problems.
    (Hey, I'm on TGP, so I must have an advanced degree, right? I know everyone here has at least a BS)

3. Wagster

Wagster Member

:)We all have our days

DreamTheaterRules likes this.
  4. Furious George

Furious George Supporting Member

The hardware and software industries employs hundreds of thousands of Sales Engineers with exactly that title. The role is for someone who has a tech degree that supports (from a technical perspective) the sales process. With regards to which tech degree? If it's a software company, the role typically requires a CS degree. If it's hardware, then the appropriate engineering degree. No great mystery to it. Clients never get confused with this job title.

5. GTRJoe

GTRJoe Supporting Member

I think you're right just about everyone on here does have a BS. But it stands for Bull****er ;) Or maybe it should be Dr. of BS.

Badtone and DCross like this.
  6. JustinReagin

JustinReagin Supporting Member

Absolutely, dude just took care of me! Thanks Randy!

SirGilmour and PurpleJesus like this.
  7. DCross

DCross Supporting Member

EXACTLY! :cool:

Badtone likes this.
  8. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

Once again, just because it is in common use in some industries doesn't mean it is accurate and not silly.

In Absentia and Porfirio like this.
  9. veus55

veus55 Silver Supporting Member

I have been working with Kent Sallaz for many years and have many examples of great service and knowledgeable advice. Can't say enough good things about him.

SirGilmour likes this.
  10. Shredzilla

Shredzilla Member

My guy has his Master of Salesology degree.

SirGilmour and bojocatkite like this.
  11. jncour

jncour Supporting Member

Brian Loney

justin and SirGilmour like this.
  12. DGTCrazy

DGTCrazy Moderator de Emporio Staff Member

Yes. For example, I recently got a beautiful Fender Custom Shop Journeyman Closet Classic Tele (6.5 lbs in Ocean Turquoise) listed on the site for $3360.00 and my Rep sold it to me for $2900. (Here's the link : https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...man-closet-classic-telecaster-ocean-turquoise

And the best part is that my Rep constantly gives me a heads-up on on some of the the "latest & greatest" promotions and gear they are going to announce. I've got some pretty cool limited or difficult to get gear that way.

13. Paleolith54

Paleolith54 Member

What we used to call “Revenge Of The C Students.”

lostpoet2 and bobcs71 like this.
  14. DreamTheaterRules

DreamTheaterRules Former Lyricist for Calhoun Tubbs Silver Supporting Member

Come on Joe. It's "BS Engineer! " :D

GTRJoe likes this.
  15. Gibson Dog

Gibson Dog Silver Supporting Member

Hey Justin - I scrolled through but it's a lot of pages & how many 'sales engineers' do they have! I've been buying from the same guy for a few years & we have never clicked or been on the same page. He's been there a long time & I don't see him mentioned in anyone's comments.

Did you contact a manager or just go straight to another sales guy & explain it to them? I'm not sure what to do I don't want to cause any trouble for anyone but I also don't want to deal with someone who tells me about all of his degrees & I should be happy to pay more to deal with a professional like him. I'm paraphrasing but not that much. I was going to call a manager & just say 'as you can see I've been dealing with this guy for a few years now & we've never clicked. He's a good guy but personality wise we just don't click so I'd like to try someone else' obviously it's not going to be great for him but I don't think that will cause major problems for him, do you?

I would definitely appreciate you telling me what you did & how you did it.

Thanks a bunch in advance!!

Mike -

16. cosmic_ape

cosmic_ape Supporting Member

I will NOT eat at Subway because of this. I have TWO Bachelors degrees in the Arts and this BS they pull really pisses me off.

And it’s not just because of them appropriating the name.

I did figure that they do this so their job postings will appear when Liberal and Fine Arts majors are looking for jobs on Indeed or LinkedIn. I think that’s what got to me the most: the assumption of lack of marketability. “Hey, starving artist! Come make soggy sh!t sandwiches for chump change! Apply now!”

17. Mr Fingers

Mr Fingers Member

Any salesperson who does not respond immediately needs to be curbed. Assuming you're not being overwhelming or abusive, their job is to sell guitars by connecting you with something appropriate. If they're not self-starting and into that, it's a terrible indicator. Find someone who is. Personally, I think most of these guys are over-rated, kind of like fortune tellers who "read" you and confirm your already existing inclinations. And it's not a hard job at all if it is your job. Personally, I do my research not by talking to commissioned salespeople or online retailers, but by talking to players, trying instruments in stores (and buying from those stores, BTW -- not abusing their generosity towards players), and talking with builders and sellers. I just read the mass-merchandisers ads, Sweetwater among them, and want to throw up. Everything they've ever carried is, I guess, awesome!!!

18. johnnytuinals

johnnytuinals Member

I still don't get it?
    Do these professional salespeople have ever released a album?
    Or have been a guitar tech for the Rolling stones?
    I think most if not all are wanna bees that wished they were in a band.
    Buttttt could not get a real job and felt that I can act cool over the phone and sell guitars.
    Myself I hate talking to a salesperson on the phone calling me dude.If I wanna know any info on a guitar I have many friends that are professionals and would be more then happy to help me out and not having to sell me something...………..JT

19. SirGilmour

SirGilmour Supporting Member

It is extremely difficult to get hired in sales here. Many people here have very impressive credits. Grammys, hit records, huge tours, mixed records you hear on the radio, ran front of house for major acts, music for TV and most of us play in bands. Like 90% of the sales floor play in bands.

Its very difficult to convey to the internet how amazing of a place Sweetwater is to work. It’s a privately owned (by the same guy for 40 years) 1 location mom and pop shop.

We are not guitar center or MF or any other publicly owned mass retailer. Chuck literally started us out of a Volkswagen Bus in 1979 and he still comes to work everyday! It’s amazing really.

We have amenities like an Arcade, Free in house doctor, Hair salon, massage parlor, chef, coffee shop, theater, studio etc. We are one of the only retailers in our industry doing relationship based sales and it really works because 99% of us really care about getting our clients the right gear for the job. We also include a FREE 2 year warranty and free lifetime tech support.

Anyways not trying to rant but just pointing out we are not some sleezy sales organization that wants to call you all the time just to bother you with a sales pitch.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019 at 9:40 PM
    lostpoet2, veus55, JoeB63 and 7 others like this.
  20. cosmic_ape

cosmic_ape Supporting Member

I actually like my rep, Chris. Otherwise, I would switch and work with you!

Your Pedaltrain Mod thread is still one of my favorite TGP threads of all time.

SirGilmour likes this.