Sweetwater sales engineer issue

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by JustinReagin, Aug 13, 2019 at 3:21 PM.

1. data_null

data_null Member

If you ask your rep for a better price you usually end up with 10-15% off (sometimes more). Been doing that for years with Sweetwater. Much better than paying full retail price.

Windup 43 likes this.
  2. Paleolith54

Paleolith54 Member

I agree, but that ship has long sailed.

derekd likes this.
  3. motokev

motokev Member

I have a BS in Mechanical Engineering. It wasn't a fun experience getting the degree, lot of work.
    My buddy at the time was washing cars for a car lot. His title was lot engineer.

Yeah, it bothers me how loosely they use the engineer title.

lostpoet2, BerkeleyJones, 808 and 6 others like this.
  4. JustinReagin

JustinReagin Supporting Member

I know, for example, I went there one day with the intent of buying a Les Paul, but wound up walking out with an EBMM after playing a bunch of toys... there was one little buzzy spot on the neck though and an adjustment wasn't getting rid of it, so they knocked a couple hundred extra off the already discounted price, threw in a free PLEK job, strings and set up, and then they gave me a tour of the facility and bought me lunch while I waited. Where do you get that kind of service? I've never found it anywhere else like that!

5. Blue Fin

Blue Fin Member

6. prs1999

prs1999 Silver Supporting Member

7. ned7flat5

ned7flat5 Member

The mere thought of being voluntarily “chained” to a particular grasping salesman makes me shudder. I can’t stand to even enter music shops these days due to the atmosphere of desperation.

What happens when you accidentally let slip about a bit of kit that you didn’t order and purchase through “your man”? Does the conversation thereafter get snakey and awkward?

Like “.... you been buyin’ from someone else dude?”.

Porfirio, JPH118 and whatizitman like this.
  8. flyonthewall150

flyonthewall150 Supporting Member

Wait...you actually want your sales engineer to contact you? I just want to be able to order a patch cable from sweetwater and not get 3 follow up calls after I receive it. Trying 2 minimize human contact here.

9. tonegangster

tonegangster Silver Supporting Member

I'm just trying to understand why someone would buy so much stuff from a retailer that they have their own "sales engineer"

:bonk

ned7flat5 likes this.
  10. LP Freak

LP Freak Member

I can give you my guys name. He’ll not only email you out of the blue but he’ll even back it up with an annoying phone solicitation.

ArchDukeOfTops, JPH118 and Jay K like this.
  11. trishoot

trishoot Gold Supporting Member

Jason Koons. 10+ years of outstanding service. You will not be disappointed.

12. runningman

runningman Member

I think that would only bother someone who's either ignorant or deliberately not paying attention to the larger culture.

Our society is absolutely infected with euphemisms, corporate double-speak, and all manner of Orwellian prevarications.

Take the title professional, for example. Used to be that the professions were law, medicine, architecture...pursuits which required extensive education and training. Now it seems that anyone who doesn't dig ditches for a living is a 'professional'.

The bottom line is that when words cease to have meaning we are much more vulnerable to being manipulated.

13. ned7flat5

ned7flat5 Member

Do you think that sales engineer Melvin Schmelvin is whoever happens to be doing that shift at that desk and reading off the Melvin Schmelvin script?

Do they ever sound like they are “winging it” - like they’re reading your past sales transactions off a screen and making it sound like they remember you?

14. Windup 43

Windup 43 Supporting Member

15. les_paul

les_paul Member

Randy (apparently SirGilmour) has been my guy for several years now; great with my ever changing schedule, and super cool to talk to.

Didn't know he was active on this board. Go get 'em, Randy!

AprioriMark likes this.
  16. WBellman

WBellman Supporting Member

Bonus is he's a player who knows the gear really well.
    With all of the new stuff these days he's pointed me in the right direction a number of times.

AprioriMark and Windup 43 like this.
  17. InkStained

InkStained Member

Ask for Ryan Wiltermood. He's been great for me. Doesn't bother me with unsolicited calls, either.

18. Pongo

Pongo Member

SW's attention to detail and willingness to stand by their products is pretty epic, and they'll match/beat whatever anybody else is doing if they are able (which in my experience, has been every time). You can also get some killer deals on "like new" floor models/returns. Oh, and don't forget that 0% financing they offer ;-)

I'd much prefer to shop at the brick and mortar place down the street; I like the owners, I prefer being able to touch/hear an instrument with my own hands before ordering... but it's very hard to beat SW when it comes to selection, quality, and price.

All that being said, OP having to wait a MONTH for a reply is unacceptable. Someone is doing a poor job or wire are getting crossed somewhere; it's hard to imagine not hearing back within 1 business day if you're running around waving around Gear Dollas!

19. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

Why are you guys just throwing out random names?

"Oh yeah John Smith is great, maybe give him a call".

Are we all supposed to know who these randoms dudes are?

20. supersoldier71

supersoldier71 Member

Kurt Martin. I usually get his assistant if I call, but he reliably emails me back if I contact him that way.

I've enjoyed working with him and it's going on ten years now.