Sweetwater sales engineer issue

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by JustinReagin, Aug 13, 2019 at 3:21 PM.

1. candid_x

candid_x Supporting Member

It is kind of pretentious, but it fits their business model as a needs assessment consultant. Account executive is a more common and generic title which attempts to rise above the typical salesman image. Also as mentioned, many of them at SW actually have a background in sound engineering. My guy has a lot of experience as a radio engineer, specifically public radio, which is known as top of line in the radio industry. The guy knows his stuff. He's a senior among his peers and I learn a lot from him. So he has earned that title of sales engineer. He's straight up about whether there's room to move on prices or not, and I believe him. His down side is that his account list is huge and he can't always keep up. Still, I appreciate him. I've had two younger reps before him and had to ask their sales manager for a replacement. His name is Ken Davis and I highly recommend him.

JackfromAK and derekd like this.
  2. supersoldier71

supersoldier71 Member

On one hand, sure, you're not wrong, but on the other, sometimes a sales guy can make a sound recommendation.

My Sweetwater guy, Kurt, he steered me towards an PRS S2 from a CE-24, based on the neck carve and he was right.

It's easy to be dismissive, but having been a salesman, I know that it is possible to add value and help a customer solve a problem, or at least get what they want.

3. Vcaster

Vcaster Member

Cameryn Wright
    https://www.sweetwater.com/cameryn_wright

He's my third rep since I first ordered from Sweetwater Sound. All have done right by me over the years, and Sweetwater will continue to be my first stop for music gear.

derekd likes this.
  4. ieso

ieso Member

A Bit-O-Honey and a few extra fingerprint smudges on the pickup covers.

5. supersoldier71

supersoldier71 Member

Every approach doesn’t work for every customer, I’m sure SW knows this, but their approach works for me and most of the folks I play and gig with.

So, uhm, YMMV.

derekd likes this.
  6. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

Really?

And they are in sales? Huh. Color me confused.

7. Kojack19

Kojack19 Silver Supporting Member

Chris Neyman has been my sales engineer for the past 5 or so years. Fantastic relationship and will always order from Sweetwater when the pricing is good. I would just be honest with who you are working with about your preferred communication etc. Chris has dealt with me over email and if I call and want his input he is knowledgeable and never pushy. https://www.sweetwater.com/chris_neyman

8. MojoRisin

MojoRisin Member

I'm in the don't need a rep camp.

Any time I ever buy anything from Sweetwater I've already done all my own research, know exactly what I want, order it on the website and expect that to be that. You know, like Amazon. But inevitably they'll call me a few days later...always while I'm at work...probably while I'm in a meeting (because that's my luck) to check if I'm happy with my purchase. Out of politeness I've never gone so far as to ask them to stop, but I'm thinking I just might next time. If I'm not happy with my purchase you'll know because I return it.

9. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

I agree.

I keep doing biz with them because they have the best customer service by far.

kookaburra likes this.
  10. candid_x

Why? Sales is where the money is. But as with everything, Pareto's Law applies.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019 at 8:07 PM
    derekd likes this.
  11. flatfinger

flatfinger Member

They can call the reps ballerinas for all I care just give me good deals !!!!!:mad::D:D:D

Benderp likes this.
  12. Sweat

Sweat Member

Ask for Paul Allen, been mine since I first bought from Sweewater. Does not call much, realizes I like email. He negotiates as best he can. Hell he even got me two VIP passes to the Dallas International Guitar Festival this year. Good dude.

JustinReagin likes this.
  13. DiPa

DiPa Constant GAS Silver Supporting Member

prs1999 likes this.
  14. FlyingVBlues

FlyingVBlues Gold Supporting Member

Mark Bruner has been my sales engineer for the past 10 years and he’s very responsive. Mark formerly worked as a pro recording engineer, and he's extremely helpful about anything to do with recording software or hardware.

Mark_Bruhn@sweetwater.com
    800-222-4700 ext 1316

15. Borg20

Borg20 Member

Yeah, I've never heard the term "Sales Engineer", does it take engineer skills to place an order / give me correct change?

derekd likes this.
  16. DrumBob

DrumBob Gold Supporting Member

The last time I spoke to someone at zzZounds, they put the item into my checkout box, and I took it as being pushy, like the treatment I used to get at the Totowa GC years ago by one a-hole sales kid. I was told that's the way they do it, and don't be offended, we're not pushing you to buy.

17. Motherfuzzer

Motherfuzzer Supporting Member

I always think of the creepy Burger King guy when I hear “sweetwater sales engineer”

18. FlamesAreWicked

FlamesAreWicked Supporting Member

I’ve had little experience with using Sweetwater with any big purchases.. I recently ordered the new JJ Jr head. The sales guy that was appointed to me back when I first used them a couple of years ago has been always timely with his response emails when I’ve had questions. A friend of mine that does far more business with them has the same guy handle his stuff.. Ryan Murphy is the guy and Id recommend him..

19. slide13

slide13 Supporting Member

I just lost my guy Jake recently too, he had taken good care of me on numerous transactions and it’s thanks to his good deals that I ended up with my #1 EJ Strat.

Haven’t made a big enough purchase since the switch to try out the new guy yet.

The “sales engineer” thing may be a bit pretentious, but I’ve gotten nothing but killer service from Sweetwater so they can call them whatever they want as long as they respond quick and give me good deals.

Sweetwater and CME are my go-to shops if I’m ordering online.

20. candid_x

To use a cliché: a salesman is an order taker. An engineer is an order maker. From the employer's pov, that should mean a larger average order, and a higher frequency of repeat business. From a customer's pov, that should mean a higher satisfaction rating.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019 at 9:30 PM
    Vaibhav Joshi likes this.