Sweetwater sales engineer issue

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by JustinReagin, Aug 13, 2019 at 3:21 PM.

1. JoeInOttawa

JoeInOttawa Member

My current guy doesn't budge on price. Ever. My last guy worked with me -- which is important, because I'm in Canada. My first guy was amazing for that.

ixnay and MaxTwang like this.
  2. OaklandA

OaklandA Silver Supporting Member

I've used Paul Allen for many years. Great guy and has delivered great service.
    800-222-4700 x1318

3. Lwilliams

Lwilliams Supporting Member

Zach Garrison, Ian McGhee, Gage Massey, Luke Herian.......

I have bought a ton of stuff from these SW guys.

4. glogulus

glogulus Supporting Member

I work with Ryan Murphy. I like that he’s pretty low pressure and responsive to emails.

5. Layne-o

Layne-o Gold Supporting Member

Another vote for @SirGilmour! Randy does a great job, doesn’t bother me, and provides excellent service while understanding that there are many places to shop/get a discount/whatever...

SirGilmour likes this.
  6. morlll

morlll Member

Big time. My customers were engineers. The ones that could call themselves engineers had the ring and at least an undergraduate degree in engineering. My card read Sales Engineer. I sold production equipment and could get the numbers together for a realistic R.O.I. I AM NOT AN ENGINEER. I'm a production equipment competent salesman. I crossed off engineer on my business cards. It's B.S. if you don't have an engineering degree. I dont' and that's okay. So yeah it bothers me.

7. morlll

morlll Member

I'd like Sales Professor. It's silly, isn't it?

8. supersoldier71

supersoldier71 Member

We live in a world where one can call oneself essentially anything they want. Sales Engineer is kind of tame compared to some stuff we could all name.

9. vanklomk

vanklomk Supporting Member

Randy Poteete. Nice guy and he's here on TGP. Never bugs me but always attentive when I reach out for a deal.

10. morlll

morlll Member

Say goodbye to that Sales Wizard. 30% after banks take an exchange cut. So that genius wouldn't be my sales guy.

11. JoeInOttawa

JoeInOttawa Member

It has cost them a couple of sales in the past. The old guy would find a way to make the shipping amount to "free," by finding me discounts that essentially covered the costs, so cross-border worked for me with him. The new guy seems to have no pull at all.

But, to them, I'm a very small fish. Now.

12. ned7flat5

ned7flat5 Member

Just occurred to me that by naming these helpful reps, one could be doing them an unintentional disservice.

Their apopleptic supervisor calls them in for a bollocking “I’ve just been reading TGP and I see that you’re supposedly not making any annoying follow up phone calls ...? So, what’s the story with that? Waddaya think we’re paying you for? Sittin’ on your a$$ waiting for the phone to ring? Why I oughta...”

candid_x likes this.
  13. whatizitman

whatizitman Member

It’s common in business to business sales to have buyers who are regular “clients”. I look at the SW sales engineer idea as good for industry pros, touring acts and studio cats, sound companies, venues, studios, etc...

Basically everything I’m not. I don’t want someone contacting me for follow up after buying a cable, strings, or the rare occasional ‘big ticket purchase’, which for me is like a few hundred bucks at best. And I’d be willing to bet a SW sales rep would not want me as a ‘client’, for the same reason a restaurant server doesn’t want to serve a non drinking family with little kids. I’m good with GC and MF. I can call when I want, and can usually get some discount. And then we each go our separate ways. :beer

14. Yam the BOMB

Yam the BOMB Silver Supporting Member

My Sanitation Engineer said to tell you to never confuse formal schooling with a good education.

Steve-O, stratadp and Hackdog69 like this.
  15. Hackdog69

Hackdog69 Supporting Member

Sales engineer bothers me just a little less than “bit of kit”.

ixnay, JackfromAK and epauley like this.
  16. candid_x

candid_x Supporting Member

Yup, that could happen.

ned7flat5 likes this.
  17. Sirloin

Sirloin Supporting Member

Maybe he’s at school working on his engineering degree o_O

Da Geezer likes this.
  18. Sirloin

Sirloin Supporting Member

I wonder if “Dr.” Z ever calls up a SW Sales ”Engineer” to compare accreditations

Porfirio and Da Geezer like this.
  19. rocknrollshakeup

rocknrollshakeup Member

I'll throw my Sweetwater dude's name in there, Ben Stokes. Has given me great Customer Service, including when I thought I needed to return a pedal for warranty (turned out to be power supply issue and didn't have to ultimately send it in). Has sent a few emails letting me know of some great deals but very non intrusive call wise. He always calls to check how I like the gear I bought but not to sell me unsolicited stuff.

20. Brad8008135

Brad8008135 Member

The sales engineer performs the 5-point inspection before personally kicking your box into the back of the Fedex truck. Goal!

[​IMG]

MaxTwang likes this.