Sweetwater sales engineer issue

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by JustinReagin, Aug 13, 2019 at 3:21 PM.

1. jmontgomery

jmontgomery Supporting Member

I have a great relationship with my Sweetwater rep Ryan. I contact him via email with the serial number of the guitar I want with a reasonable price I’d like to pay. He will answer my email with an invoice attachment and 9 out of 10 times the price is either the same or close to my offer. If he can’t meat my offer he will say plainly why not. All I have to do next is say get it shipped out my way.
    Even after all of the business we’ve done together, the only time we’ve spoken was the first order I made with him. I said I prefer to communicate via email and it’s only been thru email since.
    Ryan seems like a nice guy to boot.

2. Colnago

Colnago Member

I've not ordered from Sweetwater, can't you just call them and place an order? Do you have to talk to the same dude every time?

3. spanishcastlemagi

spanishcastlemagi Supporting Member

If anything, I’ve had the exact opposite experience than the OP.
    I can’t get my sweetwater sales engineer to leave me alone.

I have no desire to speak with salespeople of any kind, anymore than is absolutely necessary...ever. In general, I usually know just as much about the gear I’m buying and sometimes more than they do.

This dude blows up my cell phone with random calls, leaving messages of the “hey, we haven’t seen you in a while...just wanted to see if you need anything and let you know about this special, blah, blah etc” variety.

I finally had to politely tell him email was best and not to call my cell anymore.

I remember buying something really small once, like a picks or strings or something, and getting that dreaded follow up sales call, right to my cell phone. It was obviously scripted and the guy was like “ so, how are those Dunlop .88mm picks working out for you?”

I mean seriously? That was finally the call that broke the camels back for me. After that, anytime I see a call from Fort Wayne IN. On my cell, I just let it go to voicemail. I think I actually may have blocked it now that I think about it.

I understand salespeople have a job to do and I do think sweetwater is a great and stand up company with excellent customer service. I bought gear from them plenty of times, so I’m not trying to slag on them too hard, but I just have NO desire to have salespeople calling and lighting up my cell phone anytime they want. That’s an absolute no go for me.

Just my opinion.

Benderp likes this.
  4. Trebor Renkluaf

Trebor Renkluaf I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse? Silver Supporting Member

I'm confused. Why do you need a sales engineer to make a purchase? Can't you just go to the website, find the item you want and click buy? Why do I want a sales engineer? WTF is a sales engineer anyway? Is he the guy who bugs me when I haven't made a purchase in a while?

5. whatizitman

whatizitman Member

I don’t know. I have yet to purchase from them as the personal sales rep thing feels kinda creepy culty to me, in an Amway, uh, way.

But like is said, I think I’m not really the target market. OTOH, my bandmate really likes them. I like and trust him, so it’s all good. Different strokes, and all.

Porfirio, MaxTwang and Colnago like this.
  6. Colnago

Colnago Member

If I have to contact the same employee to buy something each time I wouldn’t be a customer for very long as that seems odd for sure.

GCDEF likes this.
  7. No_Stairway

No_Stairway Supporting Member

Call it what you wish a real salesperson refers to themselves as a sales professional

How do you thingka neuro surgeon feels about Dr Dre

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019 at 1:20 AM
    monty, Da Geezer and zuel69 like this.
  8. candid_x

candid_x Supporting Member

For those who object to SW's business model there's always this.

stratadp, secretsoundz and Benderp like this.
  9. SmartAlex

SmartAlex Supporting Member

I don't think mine favors me anymore since I returned a couple of guitars that weren't a good fit. Although, I have bought a couple thousand dollars of gear over the last three years or so. Maybe I need a new S.E. as I'm eyeing new things and not even thinking about Sweetwater to purchase from.

10. SmartAlex

SmartAlex Supporting Member

They are far from perfect but they have they have a lot of gear in the store to try out and usually have a nice used selection too.

11. candid_x

candid_x Supporting Member

The advantages of brick and mortar, absolutely.

SmartAlex likes this.
  12. edwarddavis

edwarddavis Supporting Member

I just want them to stop calling me
    If I need something I hit the buy button
    Do you guys really need a online
    Person to buy gear from

13. Hot In The Shade

Hot In The Shade Member

I used to be annoyed by the Sales Engineers and their frightening phone calls, but I kept hearing stories on TGP about how people were often able to get better prices, etc. I mostly ignored this because the prices were fine and with 24 mo financing coming up so often, it really didn't matter for the pedals and **** that I was buying. Then one time I found a Squier bass I wanted to buy with 24 month financing or whatever, but according to the site you had to buy $799 of Fender gear to qualify for the deal, which was way more than the price of the axe. So I emailed my rep engineer and was like, "is there anything you can do about this?" thinking maybe it would work. Nope, nothing. IT WAS THE ONLY TIME I ASKED YOU TO BE USEFUL, MARCOS!

14. Benderp

Benderp Supporting Member

My guy started yelling at me a few years ago because I bought an amp that I didnt like. I am not out to hurt his job, but now I buy from other people, and I buy a lot

15. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

You don’t (at least I haven’t in years of doing business).

You order just like anywhere else. Your sales rep handles it on the other end. If they don’t respond to a question, pick up the phone. :idea

I’ve rarely seen such prolonged gnashing of teeth (this thread and others) about such a relative non-issue... :confused:

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019 at 12:10 PM
    stratadp and Colnago like this.
  16. teefus

teefus Silver Supporting Member

Jeff Green has always been great for me.

17. dansworld

dansworld Member

This is a common practice. In our company we have "Solutions Engineers" to assist our outside sales people with technical assistance and our Tier 2 telephone support people are titled "Applications Engineers".

18. dansworld

dansworld Member

Most companies who assign some sort of "engineer" title do so after they have been extensively trained. A friend of mine manufactures audio products that are sold through Sweetwater so he spends a good amount of time there. He tells me they have an extensive manufacturer's training program as well as general training that they need to continue as a condition of their employment.

19. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

And as far back as the 1960s, housewives were called “domestic engineers.” :cool:

20. data_null

data_null Member

You should contact Sweetwater and ask to be assigned to a different rep.