Sweetwater sales engineer issue

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by JustinReagin, Aug 13, 2019 at 3:21 PM.

1. daacrusher2001

daacrusher2001 Silver Supporting Member

As an engineer, I'm not bothered or annoyed by it. Tech companies often use that job title. One of my early jobs was called Pre-Sales, then became Sales Support, then Sales Engineer...whatever, it's just a job title. We did all the technical discussions with our customers to help sell the product line, and often provide post sales support. Many of us were engineers but some were not. But, those that weren't engineers had math or science degrees.

I have only bought from SW once - just some strings/picks/cables, years ago. Some dude started calling pretty regularly for multiple years. The main reason I never bought from him was that he could never give me a price I was happy with - a price that I could get from Wildwood, Alto, Humbucker, or SoundPure. I would tell him this, and he'd go on about service and 8000 point checks that I'm sure they don't do, blah blah blah.

I ask for 20% discount on anything I buy new, and I always call rather than email. SW is selling commodity items, so they should be willing to price accordingly - since the won't - at least in my case - I don't buy there.

Theoretically, the value of having an SE is so you can get the deals you want and buy regularly. Good for both you and SW.

2. MKB

MKB Silver Supporting Member

I usually do a lot of research before buying gear, so the majority of the time sales people in stores or online have less knowledge that I found in my research (have read a lot of manuals before purchase). But Sweetwater has been very helpful in a few cases, such as selecting a digital wireless mic system. The research I would have had to do, starting with basically no knowledge of current gear and trends, would have taken too long. The rep was very helpful and knowledgeable, and after double checking his suggestions, he made very good ones. He was awarded by getting all the business from my church at my recommendation, we bought an entire PA from them. It pains me I can't recall his name, Ed Needler perhaps?

In my day job I have been a sales engineer in high tech, and if you do that you can quickly spot sales BS. And not much will infuriate an engineer more than BS from an ignorant sales person. Many sales "engineers" I have met in stores have been either ignorant or all out deceptive (like the guy I saw sell a chorus pedal to a young player by demoing it through a Roland Jazz Chorus amp with its chorus on).

EDIT: It was Ed Needler: https://www.sweetwater.com/ed_needler

David Simpson likes this.
  3. JustinReagin

JustinReagin Supporting Member

Done!

4. JoeInOttawa

JoeInOttawa Member

To be fair, my guy is not constantly pinging me -- he checks in every few months and we talk gear -- and he's proven to be knowledgeable. I just can't squeeze a penny out of him on price to try to make up for the NOT-free shipping to Canada, which means I don't buy much from him.

kookaburra likes this.
  5. DiPa

DiPa Constant GAS Silver Supporting Member

Having a dedicated rep is to your advantage, they build up to what you like and dislike so they serve you efficiently, they inform you when new products are being released- the recent new OCD Ge is a good example where I was contacted about it and put on the list when they got announced, I mean they essentially take care of you, so what’s not to like about this model?

JustinReagin likes this.
  6. JustinReagin

JustinReagin Supporting Member

Even sexier... a bald, stocky, middle aged male nurse half covered in tattoos. That's just damned near irresistible, especially in Indiana.

7. DiPa

DiPa Constant GAS Silver Supporting Member

One more thing I find very key about SW, the CEO is involved directly and totally in every transaction, my recent purchase of OCD Ge was $194, a small item, but yet I received a thank you note from the CEO directly thanking me and asking how my transaction went and so forth, he is available and wanted to know if there are any problems. How many stores do this?

candid_x likes this.
  8. C-4

C-4 Member

I love Red Bank, NJ! Florida now Europe later
    I had my sales person at SW switched out 3 times on me in the 9 or so years I've bought from them almost exclusively.
    The last one they gave me before my current person is a nasty prick who wouldn't return my calls, help me with questions. I already deal with his type at my work daily, so I got rid of him.

I finally got a hold of the supervisor, and she was just wonderful, and got me with Chris Arnold, who is a guitar player and speaks my language.

However, I have ceased doing major business with SW as I found other places and people who seem to appreciate my business more. It's not that it is a big deal, but when I pull my wallet out, I at least expect to be treated as a gentleman, even if I'm not one. Go ahead, lie to me. ;)

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019 at 9:21 AM
  9. SirGilmour

SirGilmour Supporting Member

Jeeeeeez. I don’t understand some sales people. Shoot me a PM with your email.

10. wetdripverb

wetdripverb Member

my sales "engineer" always checks in every once in awhile, too bad he doesn't give me the same deals as the other sales "engineers" so I finally blocked his number. :D

Benderp likes this.
  11. grritz

grritz Supporting Member

I'm happy with my SW guy: James Masterson. Helpful when I need advice and just handles the order quickly when I know what I want.

12. mikealpine

mikealpine Silver Supporting Member

E. Northport, NY (Long Island, not Lawn Guyland)
    khaleed_matmati@sweetwater.com Khaleed Matmati. Great guy, knowledgeable, gives me good pricing and doesn't "bother" me with random calls to see if I need anything. I told him when a buddy first introduced me that I will call when I need something, he doesn't have to ping me periodically. So, when I need something, I send an e-mail and get a great response. I've gotten some really good advice on gear, sometimes it's less expensive than the gear I originally called in for. I'd definitely recommend him.

13. mikendzel

mikendzel Member

Did Patrick leave??

14. Laketta

Laketta Member

I had similar issues in the past. I would call and ask for anyone other than the guy that they insisted I keep using, which is linked to your phone number when you call in. Most times I tried to reach him he was unavailable, he was also rude and liked to talk down to you as...he was the expert. I made one big purchase on a pedal and did not like it and wanted to return it. The guy was very difficult to deal with on my return. They make it very difficult to deal with someone else once you've established contact.

15. Rocco Crocco

Rocco Crocco Member

They prolly make more money in sales.

Benderp and derekd like this.
  16. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

Yeah, in some states titles like this are legal terms and you can get into trouble if you don't meet the definition.

I can't hang a shingle downtown advertising myself as a Sales Psychologist because psychologist is a legal title.

Benderp, Paleolith54 and monty like this.
  17. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

Yes, I realize companies do this but it doesn't make it any less inane.

Benderp likes this.
  18. bobcs71

bobcs71 Member

As a degreed & career mechanical engineer, that is funny! I'm no longer surprised at how many jobs use the engineer description.

Engineer to me means I went through brutal classes while some others partied so I could now work for someone with a business degree.

Benderp and ieso like this.
  19. Buckeyedog

Buckeyedog Member

Yeah, my newer guy doesn't really give me any sort of discount. Even a Roland practice amp for my son. Said he can't really move on that. There was another purchase as well.......same thing. I do like their customer service overall though, but the last few transactions with no discounts have kind of put me off for now.

20. mikendzel

mikendzel Member

Are we really whining about the title of the salespeople?! Does it really affect any of our lives even a super tiny bit?

My guess is that Sweetwater titled the position in a way to greatest affect their salespeople's pride in their job, and thus maximize their performance.

I personally gravitate to a single point of contact in most very transactional relationship. Go to my favorite restaurant, ask for my favorite waiter when making the reservations. Go to a bar, tip my favorite drink girl before I even place my first order, and for the rest of the night, all I need to do is make eye contact, and I have another round coming my way. In business, where I need to maximize pricing and service, I develop a relationship with the most responsive person and leverage the relationship. Anybody that doesn't want a relationship with the people from whom they're buying is possibly missing out on service/pricing.

I order most everything from Sweetwater, and I don't even go to the website to order; I just shoot my salesguy an email. I know his band's name, he sent me a sympathy card when we suffered a family tragedy, and he's lined up some special deals for me. Why would you NOT want that relationship?!

stratadp likes this.