Sweetwater vs Musician's Friend

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by FiremanMike, Apr 8, 2020.

1. FiremanMike

FiremanMike Member

I've found my 40th birthday present (A PRS SE Paul's Guitar) and I'm struggling between ordering from sweetwater or musician's friend. Sweetwater advertises they do an "inspection" and hints that they will make adjustments based on that inspection. Musician's friend doesn't advertise that..

I suppose because it's a hardtail electric, it really doesn't matter (I can do truss rod adjustments) but it sure makes me feel warm and fuzzy knowing that sweetwater runs their inspection..

Wanted to get the thoughts of the masses..

Thanks!

Gibson Dog likes this.
  2. 70 Mach 1

70 Mach 1 Supporting Member

Sweetwater claims they do a 50 point check and set up.
    Any quality quitar like a prs comes fairly close by the factory techs.

Do you really want who knows who to so call tweak your new axe when they know nothing about your playing style or preference

You can order from either but id tell SW that you want to decline the set up and not to touch it.

Gibson Dog and Alan Dunn like this.
  3. FiremanMike

FiremanMike Member

That's good info.. another factor is that MF actually has the guitar in stock..

C-4 and pete12string like this.
  4. Astronaut FX

Astronaut FX Member

I like the fact that when I order something from Sweetwater, I have an assigned sales person, whose name, email address, and direct line that I have so that I can contact them with any questions or problems that I have, and I know that they'll take care of me. And they have...every single time I've needed something.

Others don't really value that, and others still are literally angered by the existence of that relationship and find it intrusive. I don't know where you fall into this particular spectrum, but it's worth considering as part of your decision.

5. sitedrifter

sitedrifter Gold Supporting Member

who ever can give you the best price.

6. jasons7

jasons7 Supporting Member

I would buy from either. Sweetwater gives the opportunity to pick yours out of a group of 4 or 5 with photos. If you are picky about how the top looks or the weight you might want to go Sweetwater.

Edit: I see Sweetwater doesn't have any of them in stock so preview is not really an option on that guitar. They do have a red demo on sale you can preview.

mojah, straightblues, scottlr and 4 others like this.
  7. dju

dju Member

I like that sweetwater frequently has pictures of the actual guitar you can purchase.

i would also probably go with which ever company gave me a better price after calling them.

i use both and don't have an actual preference of one over the other. sometimes one has something i want that the other doesn't which makes my decision for me.

with all that i haven't purchased a guitar from either company in many many years.

dj

8. bgio

bgio Member

You also get 8% in rewards from MF. Should get you a few packs of strings or odds and ends that you’d like to pick up. Or toward another bigger purchase in the future. The points do expire though.

drri, aleclee, HERSCHEL and 8 others like this.
  9. lamenlovinit

lamenlovinit Member

I ordered once from Sweetwater. a Pair of tubes. a few days later they called. "Hey what are you running those tubes in?" I said "An Amp" and got off the phone as quickly as possible. A few weeks later I got another call like a crazy Ex stalking me. I told them straight up to cut it out, and that if I needed to buy anything I would go looking for the best price online and that if were them, I'd have to think twice about it based on my experience.

Oh, and now I get .5 inch thick books of products from them every couple months. It goes straight in the recycling.

10. hellbender

hellbender Member

I didn’t realize an earlier purchase last at MF enabled a 10% discount on a new purchase. The new purchase enables another 10% discount in the future.

radiomanjh and Jabberwocky like this.
  11. ixnay

ixnay Member

How does that work? I buy stuff from MF all the time and have never heard of that. I do get at least 15% off of all purchases, but that has nothing to do with any earlier purchases.

ckfoxtrot and Elantric like this.
  12. Shredzilla

Shredzilla Member

13. hellbender

hellbender Member

I don’t know exactly, some kind of reward points thingy or possibly just the standard discount? It showed up during the purchase process and I subtracted it from the total. I assumed it was from the previous years purchase. I dunno

14. chrisjnyc

chrisjnyc Supporting Member

I would call and haggle on price... both are pretty much the same thing

15. ixnay

ixnay Member

That was probably the 8% rewards program. You get 8% back on everything (after a 45 day waiting period, to make sure you don't return anything).

Jabberwocky, stratadp and hellbender like this.
  16. niassist

niassist Garage Rock Star Silver Supporting Member

Sweetwater all the way. I just received a PRS from them about a week ago. It was perfect!

17. natmiss

natmiss Member

Call Sweetwater if you enjoy follow-up calls every other day. I blocked them on my phone.

18. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

/thread!

19. GibsonGeek

GibsonGeek Member

I recently tried Sweetwater for the first time. Never again. They couldn’t process/ship a simple FedEx order. I receive FedEx packages on my doorstep regularly, and without incident. Sweetwater tells me my address doesn’t exist. I called and thought the issue was resolved. 2 days later I get the same email concerning my address. Next.

20. mikesch

mikesch Gold Supporting Member

I've been burned by Sweetwater multiple times on preorders. Once on a George Harrison tele that they claimed they could get, but couldn't. Fortunately I saw that coming and ordered one from Willcutt as soon as they were in stock, another on a pedal where I could buy it on Amazon a month before they actually shipped mine. Fortunately they call me every couple of months and ask how the picks I ordered successfully from them are working out.

Probably doesn't matter for your purposes, but, not a fan of Sweetwater.

mpltenmetalburn, jrjones, C-4 and 5 others like this.