• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

SWING!! (with Michael Stevens content)

clemduolian

Gold Supporting Member
Last night, Lone Star Swing played at Texas State in San Marcos, TX, with some very special guests...4 surviving members of Bob Wills' Texas Playboys and Cindy Cashdollar (steel guitar) and Floyd Domino (keyboards).

From left to right--Herb Remington (pedal steel God...the original Remington Steel), Cindy Cashdollar (Fender Steel), Paul Glasse(electric mandolin playing a Michael Stevens "Paul Glasse" signature 5 string), Rick McRae (elec. guitar playing a Stevens LJ), Johnny Gimble (legendary fiddle and electric mandolin player). Not visible but on stage are Johnny Cuviello--94 years young, the original "Texas Drummer Boy" playing drums and Louise Rowe, slapping the upright bass (Louise is the only woman instrumentalist to ever play with the Texas Playboys). All of the "Playboys" are over 80 years old and can still throw down!! (NOTE: The rest of Lone Star Swing is Terry Hale, bass; Wes Star, drums; Billy Curtis, fiddle and sax; and Gary Hartman (guitar).

Great night of music and it was free!

matte

cindy was a local when i lived in the (wood)stock. brilliant musician and uber cool human.

clemduolian

Gold Supporting Member
Indeed. Her solos were brilliant and watching her and Herb was very special. The mutual admiration was palpable and their "musical sense(s) of humor" amply displayed. They played "Remington's Ride" and just soared.

Plus, Cindy is such a greater comper and supporter of every other player on the stage. I'm lucky that she lives in Austin and I get lots of opportunities to see, hear and marvel.

clemduolian

Gold Supporting Member
Rick was the real eye opener of the night for me. He is a regular in George Strait's band and a monster player. The Stevens LJ sounded SO fat and lush, played clean through a Peavey with a 15".

They played Paul's arrangement of "Air Mail Special (Good Enough To Keep)" and McRae channeled his inner Charlie Christian. Paul is a friend (and I'm lucky to be able to study mandolin with him); he redefines jazz mandolin with his Stevens 5 string.

Jim Soloway

Rick was the real eye opener of the night for me. He is a regular in George Strait's band and a monster player. The Stevens LJ sounded SO fat and lush, played clean through a Peavey with a 15".

They played Paul's arrangement of "Air Mail Special (Good Enough To Keep)" and McRae channeled his inner Charlie Christian. Paul is a friend (and I'm lucky to be able to study mandolin with him); he redefines jazz mandolin with his Stevens 5 string.
Paul's a wonderful player. I've had his One More Night CD for years. It seriously kicks.

And that's one killer line up you saw. Johnny Gimble alone would be worth the price of the ticket.

Dana Olsen

Platinum Supporting Member
Paul's a wonderful player. I've had his One More Night CD for years. It seriously kicks.

And that's one killer line up you saw. Johnny Gimble alone would be worth the price of the ticket.
I agree Jim, plus, Rick McCrae is just dazzling - the deeper you go with him, the better he gets.

I agree completely that Johnny Gimble alone is worth the admission price - ANY admission price, any show. One of the best ever.

Not to mention Cindy Cashdollar, who brings tons of skill, tons of depth, and tons of fun to every performance.

Sounds like a great night of music to me, thanks, Dana O.

clemduolian

Gold Supporting Member
Agreed. It was a great night. AND captured on video for broadcast on PBS as part of "Texas Music Cafe" a new series. Hope you can find it. Johnny Gimble tells a couple of great stories and sings a few tunes, along with his signature fiddle and mandolin.

Seeing/hearing Cuviello play "Texas Drummer Boy" (co-written by him and Remington) at age 94 is a must see.

Trending Topics