• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Swiss made Blade guitars?

Franklin

Gold Supporting Member
Anyone know how I can find pricing or values on these guitars? I have a Swiss made Thinline Tele. I actually contacted Blade a few years ago, and they told me that because of the lower quality Korean made series, the one that I have does not hold it's value. He did not offer a value of the guitar, just that people are not looking for the Swiss made ones -and the few that are looking are wanting to score a Swiss one at the Korean model prices. So, no luck. I was also told that they are not listed in the blue book, but I have no way of checking that.

Is there any way to find out? I would like to know that value for insurance or possibly to evaluate the trade in value.

Thanks!! :BEER

Alainlafrance

It's a shame this Levinson guy did not care at all about his original Customers from the times his guitars were so revered :mad:

xroads

From what I recall, Levinson had different phases:
- in the beginning he built the guitars in Switzerland
- shortly therafter, he moved production to Japan, and only kept a small
custom shop in Switzerland; both the Japanese and Swiss models are great guitars
- at some point of time, he closed the shop in Switzerland and moved production to Korea

As fo the values of the Swiss made guitars: at the time, they cost about 2000-3000$ new. And yes, they don't hold their value, so today, they are real bargains in the used market.

tildeslash

Silver Supporting Member
I regret selling mine but they are very very well made guitars.
If you find one - they are a bargain and you will be impressed with their quality.

Franklin

Gold Supporting Member
The issue is I'm afraid to sell it, I have not seen them (the few swiss made ones I've seen) even getting bids over at ebay for a while...... I guess I have to hold onto it!

zenfreud

Were any significant numbers of the Blade guitars ever made in Switzerland? There were Blade guitars in the late 80's, early 90's that had something to the effect of "designed in Switzerland" or "Blade Designs of Switzerland" as part of their logo, while the true country of origin was noted on an easily removable sticker on the neck plate labeled "Made in Japan".

Seemed like obfuscation to me at the time. Still does.

Franklin

Gold Supporting Member
I believe mine says "Gary Levision. Made in Switzerland" on the base of the neck. The "new" Blade company told me that it was Swiss based on the serial#.

But what do I know?

Franklin

Gold Supporting Member
Bump.... Any other Swiss made Blade owners? I've been trying to find one for sale casualy for a while to see what the asking prices are (yeah, about 4-5 years!!) and have not seen one for sale.

Now my guitar needs some work; the selector switch is crapping out, dings in the finish, worn frets, etc.

Amazing guitar. I'm thinking of fixing the 5 way switch, refretting it and putting it back into rotation! What an awesome guitar.

So I'm bumping this to see if there are any other owners, then I'm off to GBase for another look.... :)

Buffeltje

Bump.... Any other Swiss made Blade owners? I've been trying to find one for sale casualy for a while to see what the asking prices are (yeah, about 4-5 years!!) and have not seen one for sale.

Now my guitar needs some work; the selector switch is crapping out, dings in the finish, worn frets, etc.

Amazing guitar. I'm thinking of fixing the 5 way switch, refretting it and putting it back into rotation! What an awesome guitar.

So I'm bumping this to see if there are any other owners, then I'm off to GBase for another look.... :)
Hello Franklin, I also have an early swiss made RH4 but I don't have more info for you, sorry. I would have thought that the original swiss ones would be more valuable than the later ones. So big surprise to me. Have you recently found any further info? Maybe I can relocate the guy who demonstrated them in 1987 on the Music and Harmony fair and see what he still knows about them. If I succeed I will let you know on this forum.

Franklin

Gold Supporting Member
Hello Franklin, I also have an early swiss made RH4 but I don't have more info for you, sorry. I would have thought that the original swiss ones would be more valuable than the later ones. So big surprise to me. Have you recently found any further info? Maybe I can relocate the guy who demonstrated them in 1987 on the Music and Harmony fair and see what he still knows about them. If I succeed I will let you know on this forum.
Nothing new Buffeltje. Thanks!!

Hello Franklin,
The shop where Gary Levinson first began making his Blade guitars is still in existence and is where they set up all the new Blade guitars prior to distribution. Although Gary is no longer there, it is owned by a company called Job Factory which has a music store as part of it's offering. My early Japanese RH4 is being brought back to it's original splendor with original parts that are still in the shop. I bought it at a very, very good price here in Switzerland and spending $700 to perfectly refurbish her. You can get a hold of Philip Baumgartner at P.Bangerter@jobfactory.ch who is working on mine. He is a fantastic guy who is honest and loves his work as well as being very talented at what he does. Other info is...

Job Factory Basel AG | Bordeaux-Strasse 5 | 4053 Basel
Telefon +41 61 560 01 23 | Fax +41 61 560 01 31 (+ means dial 00, 0041 being the country code for Switzerland)

I hope that this info can help if ever you want or need someone ultimately Blade experienced, just can call Philip and he will do what he can for you.

Cheers...Cleve Christie

el bib

the early blade guitars blade guitars had body/neck made by tune guitar technology and electronics done in switzerland,there were only a very few made in switzerland,but the made in japan blades are pretty awesome and were high priced,high end guitars in the 80/90s.later production was moved to korea,the korean blades aint bad but not in the same league as the earlier japanese blades.used prices reflect this,though i still think blade still does the odd custom shop stuff.gary levinson doesnt have that much to do with blade now outside of consultation as he now builds his own levinson acoustic guitars.

el bib

the mij blades all have a fender style headstock apart from a couple of models that have a suhr type headstock,the later korean made blades a different headstock.japanese blades have serials below 13xxx.tune guitar technology japan also made their own tune basses as well as blade,also somnus

KGWagner

For what it's worth, I had an early Blade back in the late '80s, early '90s,, and loved it to death. But, I never sold it - it was lost to misadventure, so I have no feel for its value.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom