Switch for tone instead of potentiometer?

hchoe741

Hello everyone! Hope everyone had a nice holiday! I was wondering if I could acquire the help of the fine folks of TGP.

I'm planning a warmoth jazzmaster build for next year and I'm planning on going with this wiring:
Petrucciwiring.jpg

But, I would actually like to replace the tone pot with a jazzmaster style slide switch, like this:
slide_switch.jpg
sws2_connections.jpg

I do use the tone control on rare occasions, but I only turn it all the way up or down, so something like this would be ideal for me.

Is this possible? If so, could anyone provide a diagram? I would greatly appreciate it!:)

if you want to have the full timbre in one position & fully choked by the capacitor in the other, you could use just a toggle:

mini_switch_chrome_on_on.jpg

in one position it would disconnect the capacitor & in the other it would fully engage the capacitor

hchoe741

Thanks! Do u have a wiring diagram for that? The slide switch is also on-on, dpdt, so the wiring should be the same.

StratoCraig

Well, think about how it works with the usual pot + cap arrangement. With the knob on 10, you have the cap and the full value of the pot (250k, 500k, or whatever); with the knob on 0, you have the cap but no extra resistance. That's what you're trying to emulate here. So you need a resistor equal to the maximum value of your tone pot as well as the cap. But since the cap doesn't really do anything when the tone knob is on 10, you can probably just put the resistor on one side of the switch and the cap on the other.

hchoe741

I think I got it figured out.

something like this? (please excuse the poor paint drawing)
Petrucciwiring_zps1wk2canw.jpg

Dave Weir

Gold Supporting Member
There are different kinds of switches that look like that. The most normal like that would be Double Pole, Double Throw, on-on. There are some that in one position only A1 and A2 are connected, and in the other position only B2 and B3 are connected. They are called on-on also. Some have off in the center of the slide also. If you have a normal switch, I think you have it correct, but I don't think you need the resistor at all. Just leave it off and don't connect anything to those terminals. The way you have it I think you will loose volume when the cap is not in the circuit.

Last edited:

hchoe741

There are different kinds of switches that look like that. The most normal like that would be Double Pole, Double Throw, on-on. There are some that in one position only A1 and A2 are connected, and in the other position only B2 and B3 are connected. They are called on-on also. Some have off in the center of the slide also. If you have a normal switch, I think you have it correct, but I don't think you need the resistor at all. Just leave it off and don't connect anything to those terminals. The way you have it I think you will loose volume when the cap is not in the circuit.
It's this switch:
slide_switch.jpg
sws2_connections.jpg

It is a dpdt on-on switch.

I was wondering if I needed the resistor. I'm planning on going with a jb/jazz set with a single 250k pot for the volume, and I think the resistor would affect the sound, so no resistor works for me.

Thanks

StratoCraig

True, with a 250k volume pot you can just leave out the resistor. I was thinking the rest of the circuit would be the same as usual (500k volume pot), but it doesn't have to be. So instead of emulating "tone knob on 10" and "tone knob on zero" (I was taking you literally about that), you'll be switching the tone control in and out of the circuit, and using a lower-value volume pot to keep the "no tone control" setting from being too bright. That will work and it's a little simpler.

walterw

Platinum Supporting Member
yep, so you just pick two lugs of the switch and wire them like the two lugs of the tone pot.

one way keeps the lugs disconnected and nothing happens, the other way connects them together, giving you the tone cap at 100% and full mud.

You don't need the resistor at the top of the switch.
Try it first w/o that & if it's too bright then put something in there.

hchoe741

So this diagram (minus the resistor) should work?
Petrucciwiring_zps1wk2canw.jpg

That's surprising! I'm usually clueless about this stuff...

Thanks everyone!!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom