Switch my Mesa fro 6L6 to El34?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jrm, Sep 20, 2008.

1. jrm

jrm Member

hey everyone:

it is time to replace my tubes... I have a Mesa Rectoverb Combo which I quite enjoy. Up until now I've been running it with 6L6 tubes. It has a rebiasing switch so i can put El34's in there. Is anyone running a mesa with EL34? Can you help me understand what kind of difference I am going to see from the stock tone? I know it won't give me a Marshall tone out of my mesa, but I wouldn't mind trying a new flavor! Any help would be most appreciated.

-jon

2. angelo

angelo Member

Popped my buddies 34s into my Mark IV about 10 years ago for grins. It pretty much did what boogie says it would.

Cleans got a bit rattier with less bottom and more top. Disto got more aggressive with upper mid bit. I preferred the 6L6 sounds.

Don't know if this applies to your amp....

3. picnic

picnic Supporting Member

I did the swap to my Lonester Classic. Less bottom (still plenty on hand) broke up earlier, less Fendery tone and more British. It wasn't for me and I went back to the 6L6's.

4. Austinrocks

Austinrocks Member

Put the EL-34s in my Mark IV as well, changed the sound, to me its close to the Stilleto in tone, which is good and bad, currently have the 6V6s in my Mark IV and love those.

The Tubes in the Mark IV are so easy to change its easy and fun to experiment with them, probably just as easy wtih the rectoverb, so try it and see, I find that changing the tubes is pretty obvious if I am going to like them or not, and a set of tubes for a 50 watt is only two tubes, so less than $50 in most cases.

5. frankencat

frankencat Guitarded Gold Supporting Member

I had a Rectoverb and I thought it sounded way better with EL34's.

6. jrm

jrm Member

Frankencat, hat kind of El34's did you put in there?

Thanks fellas! this is all really helpful!

7. Austinrocks

Austinrocks Member

I used the Mesa EL-34s just easier knowing the tubes are right for the amp. Got mine locally.

8. Mickey Shane

Mickey Shane apolitical Silver Supporting Member

When I went from 6L6s to EL34s in my Heartbreaker combo, I didn't care for the sound (at the time). Then I went to 6V6s. I liked that sound for a couple of years for blues style guitar.

Recently I put the Svetlana EL34s back in. I switched the rectifier to silicon diodes (Solid-state), switched the variac switch to tweed power, and there was that sound of a browned metal panel. I've got a quad of Bugle Boys on the way. I'm keeping EL34s in the amp now.

Until of course, I switch back to something else.:)

But I have other 6L6 and 6V6 amps.

9. Bikedude

Bikedude Gold Supporting Member

I did the same thing about a year ago and haven't looked back. I actually like the JJEL34's over the 6l6's(JJ's) i had in the LSC. Still plenty of bottom end, and the OD channel sounds better to me now with the 34's. I play Strats and Teles mostly thru the LSC, but occassionally will run my Reverend MantaRay 290 thru it with the P90's for an awesome grind sound.

10. untoldguitarist

untoldguitarist Member

'

It really comes down to what style of music you play. Like if your into Metal I would say the stick with the 6L6'S but any other style like blues , classic rock etc. I would stick with the EL34'S. But remember in the rectifier amplifiers you can put any power tube in them that you want to even KT88'S and this has been done by eurotubes.com Bob the owner of eurotubes is the man. He can recommend the best tube set up that would suit your style the best.

11. kmanick

kmanick Member

I used El34's, Kt-77's and 6L6's in my Rectoverb.
    the 6L6's will give you more bottom , smoother tone, and the best cleans you can get out of it. If you're going for that "Recto" tone ala Nevermore/ Dream theater/ SYL , 6L6's work best.
    El34's will kill some of the bottom end , give you a bit of an upper mid spike, and dirty up the cleans.
    the KT-77's kind of give you a 1/2 way between the El34 and the 6L6 sound. I had them in mine for about a year, and I thought they added a bit of versatility to the sound of the amp, but when I wanted to get that "Recto" sound, I found that they added a "boxiness " to the tone that works well for every other type of tone, but not for that heavy, heavy recto tone.
    Here's a clip I made using KT-77's on Vintage mode. I Loved them for this type of metal/shred.
    http://www.netmusicians.org/index.php?section=id&value=1374

I recently sold the Rectoverb head and have gone to a Mark III red stripe head.